Do You Clean Your Own Cabin?

brendrek

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

In other words you're a clean freak:) Nothing wrong with that at all. We are somewhat the same way. If you don't pick up after yourself in the tiny little cabins they can be a cluttered mess!!! We also have a tendency to pick up after ourselves at dinner, but usually the crew does such a great job we never really have to.

Now go scrub down your counters and do some laundry:) And when you're done come over and clean my house too!!!

I try to not leave the room a huge mess, but I don't do as much as you do. We don't leave trash lying around, but we often have our clothes strewn about the room. I certainly don't bus my own table at dinner...I imagine the server staff has a way they like to stack things, and I'm not going to do their job for them when I'd probably do it wrong.

Why don't you re-use your bath towels? Just curious. We always re-use them at least once, just as we do at home. I feel a lot worse about adding needlessly to the laundry on the ship than I do about leaving a messy room. If everyone re-used bath towels once or twice, imagine how much less the laundry room staff would have to deal with each cruise - not to mention the waste of water and detergent.

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

On our last family cruise our three boys (21, 19, and 15) had the balcony cabin next to us. They didn't clean up after themselves!:eek: If fact I gave the Steward extra at the end of the cruise. Not so much as an extra tip - more like danger pay!;)

At home, not always a clean freak but on vacation some strange person is in my living space twice a day. I wouldn't want them to say, "Oh those people in cabin XXXX are such slobs"..lol

You should see what our room service trays look like when I'm done. I think it's so gross seeing half chewed food on top of plates left in the hallway, that's what that little metal plate cover is for. One time I ordered the smoked salmon and I hated it. I flushed it down the toilet so it didn't stink up the hallway.

I'm guilty!! I don't go as far as wiping down counters but our clothes are put away. I can't stand clutter or a mess especially in a small space.

I have often walked down the hallway of a cruise ship and peeked into rooms that are being cleaned. And it gives me the heepie jeepies just looking at the mess. Clothes on every surface, chair, bed etc. I feel so sorry for the room steward who is trying to straighten up that mess. And what's worse is the rooms that are the most messy seem to always be inside rooms:eek:!

Why don't you re-use your bath towels? Just curious. We always re-use them at least once, just as we do at home. I feel a lot worse about adding needlessly to the laundry on the ship than I do about leaving a messy room. If everyone re-used bath towels once or twice, imagine how much less the laundry room staff would have to deal with each cruise - not to mention the waste of water and detergent.

We all cary staph bacteria on our bodies, and from personal experience if I reuse towels I sometimes get staph related skin problems. That's why.

Guest fyree39

I always pick up our clothes, put things away, toss the trash. I never put our used room service trays in the hall because I've heard many announcements to not do this as it's a safety hazard.

I agree that the inside cabins are usually the messiest. I chalk it up to messy teens/young adults.

I'm guilty!! I don't go as far as wiping down counters but our clothes are put away. I can't stand clutter or a mess especially in a small space.

I have often walked down the hallway of a cruise ship and peeked into rooms that are being cleaned. And it gives me the heepie jeepies just looking at the mess. Clothes on every surface, chair, bed etc. I feel so sorry for the room steward who is trying to straighten up that mess. And what's worse is the rooms that are the most messy seem to always be inside rooms:eek:!

And may I ask what does inside rooms have to do with it. We're in an inside cabin and alway make sure clothes, etc. are picked up and put away before we leave the cabin for b'fast.

And may I ask what does inside rooms have to do with it. We're in an inside cabin and alway make sure clothes, etc. are picked up and put away before we leave the cabin for b'fast.

I think the poster may be assuming most people in inside cabins are younger? Not sure why. We usually book inside cabins.

Guest fyree39

I think the poster may be assuming most people in inside cabins are younger? Not sure why. We usually book inside cabins.

Of all the "tornado went through there" messy cabins I've seen, all but one were inside rooms. Of course, the vast majority of the rooms I've seen while walking a passageway have been tidy. I think it's a very few people who are slobs on cruise ships. The stewards might feel like the one messy room is worth 20 of the neat ones!

at home, not always a clean freak but on vacation some strange person is in my living space twice a day. I wouldn't want them to say, "oh those people in cabin xxxx are such slobs"..lol

you should see what our room service trays look like when i'm done. I think it's so gross seeing half chewed food on top of plates left in the hallway, that's what that little metal plate cover is for. One time i ordered the smoked salmon and i hated it. I flushed it down the toilet so it didn't stink up the hallway.

hi--you flushed the fish down the toilet-----how gross--you are lucky it didnt stuff up the toilet and cause a big--big problem---don't you read the sign over the toilet---'don't throw bulky objects in the toilet' i they knew--you could be charged----this is from--irene and john--58 cruisers on carnival--

Guest fyree39
My wife is the same way even at a hotel. I don't leave things laying around or the room a mess but I still argue with her about making the bed while on vacation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Oooo, I sure don't make the bed! I also don't re-use the towels on a cruise. I like fresh, soft, dry towels each day.

Just curious for those of you that leave clothes lying around, what does the room steward do? Do they actually put them away or just clean around them? Our room almost always looks just like it does the first day we walked in. It's such a small space that if anything is out of place I feel like it's a complete chaotic disaster. Or boys will have their own room on our next cruise and I'm sure it will be a nightmare.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

hi--you flushed the fish down the toilet-----how gross--you are lucky it didnt stuff up the toilet and cause a big--big problem---don't you read the sign over the toilet---'don't throw bulky objects in the toilet' i they knew--you could be charged----this is from--irene and john--58 cruisers on carnival--

It was a few tiny strips of smoked salmon. I've certainly flushed larger and hardier ahem "appropriate items" than that. I don't make a habit out of flushing things I shouldn't, the fish was stinky though. I always consider myself lucky when the plumbing doesn't back up.

We all cary staph bacteria on our bodies, and from personal experience if I reuse towels I sometimes get staph related skin problems. That's why.

I just have a problem with thinking I am using a towel to dry my face today that may have dried my bottom yesterday.

I won't reuse a towel from the day before.

I unpack..stow suitcases and generally keep the cabin tidy..which means picking up after dh...I don't clean, make the bed..and do leave the toothbrush out...but in a glass...and try to keep stuff off of the bathroom counter...if we have one:D

I do not bus the table....I have to do that at home:eek:

No, I don't clean. We reuse towels and hang them up if they are not too wet. I do straighten everyday. I hate clothes laying around. The clean clothes are hung up in the closet or folded in a drawer. Dirty clothes go in a pop-up hamper in the closet. I keep the bathroom counter organized but not necessarily empty.

That is all enough work while I am on vacation.

Archived