Do You Clean Your Own Cabin?

brendrek

. A towel in the floor is pretty much the whole floor.

One thing confuses me - I have always put towels i wanted replaced on the floor in hotels and cruise ships. Don't they have those little signs telling people to put them there if they want them replaced? Lots of Hotels do the same thing.

A lot of those who say they want fresh towels daily also commented on towels on the floor as a nasty habit.

For me, I re-use bath towels. I like fresh washcloths and small towels. BTW I was raised calling the smaller towel a face towel and using the bath towel for hands.

Bacteria entering the body by oral mucosa makes you sick. While body bacteria are usually normal flora and make you more resistant as long as your skin is intact. Your normal bacteria actually fight off other bacteria, which is one reason why you shouldn't use antibacterial soap.

We re-use towels at home where they dry properly in between uses. Nothing dries in those cabin bathrooms (I think it is because the doors don't stay open).

But have you noticed that even if you do re-hang your towel your cabin steward replaces it with a new one?

By the way WELOVEDIS, love the pouch idea for receipts. Usually we have a drawer set aside for lose papers and receipts but I like your idea better. I think I will bring a few large manilla envelopes and mark them receipts, tickets, misc.

Thanks Ocean Air! Feeling honored that a newbie like me could help a seasoned cruiser like you! :)

I reuse my towels as well, and bring my own body scrubby so the face cloth is just used for my face. I use use for my hair and one for my body.

I don't wipe down door knobs or switches or tables, I don't carry purel, or anti bacterial/microbial wipes either. I carry some unscented baby type wipes just to freshen up while in port. Not to wash away germs but to get the sweat/salt off my face, arms and legs. The rest of the germies are fine where they are.

I don't leave a mess, and kep things neat, but I certainly won't wipe down counters. Heck, the steward will just re-wipe things, so why bother. Besides, I've walked past numerous cabins when the door was open when the steward was in cleaning, and the cabin looked like a war zone with clothes and whatever thrown everywhere. No steward will look at a tidy cabin and think its messy.

It was a few tiny strips of smoked salmon. I've certainly flushed larger and hardier ahem "appropriate items" than that. I don't make a habit out of flushing things I shouldn't, the fish was stinky though. I always consider myself lucky when the plumbing doesn't back up.

It doesn't matter that the salmon was small. Things like that should NEVER be put in a ships toilet. And, if you do cause the plumbing to back up, it's not only your toilet, but perhaps dozens because they're all interlinked.

I know that we're told to put towels on the floor if we don't want to re-use them, but that seems so disrespectful. It probably doesn't make any difference to them, but I feel better leaving the dirty towels in the bathtub. They have to clean the tub anyway and at least they're contained.

I know that we're told to put towels on the floor if we don't want to re-use them, but that seems so disrespectful. It probably doesn't make any difference to them, but I feel better leaving the dirty towels in the bathtub. They have to clean the tub anyway and at least they're contained.

Disrespectful? How is following directions disrespectful? :confused: Tub is ok. but remember the majority of us do not have a tub on a cruise.

One time when we were attending a function in Ocean Plaza on the Dream, we had enjoyed desserts at one of the tables. I looked and looked for a trash can and place to put the dirty dishes. A server came by and told us to just leave them, they do not want the passengers to bus tables at all, for safety reasons (?).

We only get one cabin when we cruise, but if my kids did stay in another cabin, there is no way I would allow them to keep it a mess. They would need to at least keep their clothes picked up and any trash put in the trash can. Room service trays would be placed where the steward/room service personnel requests. This is just common courtesy and respect, and it really doesn't take too much time to do this. Hopefully, any kids who actually leave their cabins like this on a cruise would be leaving the steward extra tips using their own money.

Lol I'd like to see how it goes for you when you have 4 teenagers in 2 cabins. Perhaps you enjoy spending your vacation cleaning, but not I. Most of the stuff on the floor is their clothes, which will be gone when we leave. As stated, I tell the steward just to deal with towels. The dishes are outside and of course I tip extra. Apparently I am the only one who is slightly messy and has slobby teenage boys. Who knew?

Disrespectful? How is following directions disrespectful? :confused: Tub is ok. but remember the majority of us do not have a tub on a cruise.

Following directions isn't disrespectful, but to me throwing things on the floor for others to pick up "feels" disrespectful. :)

We like a clean stateroom and pick up after ourselves on each cruise. On our last cruise, our room steward paid us the compliment of saying our stateroom was always the easiest to clean since we weren't as messy as some of the other guests.

Happy cruising everyone!

We do this as well.

I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates.

To me she is saying she is in a dining room - not the buffet. She is "at" dinner.... not just "getting" dinner.

We do the same thing in the MDR, we also do it in any restaurant we go to.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We usually reuse our towels a few times (but I agree with the poster who said they often replace them even if you hang them up) but when we are done with a towel, we leave it in the tub. It seems to me that I have seen the cabin stewards use the towels to wipe down the tub and maybe other things, so this makes sense to me.

ML

WOW you could see into that cabin's bathroom from the hallway? What ship was that? I'll avoid that ship in the future.:eek:

It was either the Zuiderdam or Westerdam, but you have to remember that both the cabin door and the bathroom door were propped open while the steward was cleaning. This is unlikely to happen when you are in your cabin, so no worries there :)!

ML

Lol I'd like to see how it goes for you when you have 4 teenagers in 2 cabins. Perhaps you enjoy spending your vacation cleaning, but not I. Most of the stuff on the floor is their clothes, which will be gone when we leave. As stated, I tell the steward just to deal with towels. The dishes are outside and of course I tip extra. Apparently I am the only one who is slightly messy and has slobby teenage boys. Who knew?

I don't have 4 boys, just 2 teenagers and it is a learning process for them, that is for sure! Lol! I can assure you I don't spend my vacation cleaning. I just make sure clothes are picked up and food is not left around. If i was paying for my kids to have their own room, I would expect my kids to do the same. And if they didn't, the extra tip money would be out of their pockets...since it was their mess.

We do wipe down the things with wipes. I know we seem to be in the minority, but we don't re-use the towels. We don't reuse towels at home or on the cruise. We fold them and stack them in the floor under the counter. We keep clothes put away, the counters are clean for the dresser and the bathroom. We keep everything in the zip-locks ready to take to the bathroom to get ready and then put it away when we finish. The cabin stays neat and orderly and everything can be found. I do make the bed..it's just habit and takes about one minute. If the steward wanted to, all they would have to do is replace the linens and maybe give the room a vacuum about halfway through the cruise.

We do wipe down the things with wipes. I know we seem to be in the minority, but we don't re-use the towels. We don't reuse towels at home or on the cruise. We fold them and stack them in the floor under the counter. We keep clothes put away, the counters are clean for the dresser and the bathroom. We keep everything in the zip-locks ready to take to the bathroom to get ready and then put it away when we finish. The cabin stays neat and orderly and everything can be found. I do make the bed..it's just habit and takes about one minute. If the steward wanted to, all they would have to do is replace the linens and maybe give the room a vacuum about halfway through the cruise.

Hey Griffie we keep all our bathroom/meds/lotion items in a canvas over the door shoe holder with mesh pockets. Every item stores neatly for up to four people. No more carrying items back and fourth in zip-locks. :):p.

As for wipes, I only had to use them once to see how unclean some of the surfaces were that I wiped down. I only wipe down once but those stewards don't wipe down surfaces while rushing to get all the rooms clean an unfortunately many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom (per a 20/20 special)....:eek: .

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

Archived