Do You Clean Your Own Cabin?

brendrek

I carry a travel pack of Clorox wipes with me and wipe down counter, door handles, faucets, toilet button and seat and remote control before we really settle in. I will repeat this once or twice during the week.

I don't make the bed but I do pick up clothes and clutter. The thing that bugs me the most is all the flyers they bring you daily. Just a few of those about the cabin make it seem cluttered.

As others have posted, it only takes a few items out of place to make your cabin feel messy. I constantly hound poor hubby about his socks on the floor or his empty coke cans.

I never figured the steward's job was to clean up my stuff. I do straighten up the bed, clear the counters and put things where they belong. The over-the-door-shoe thingie helps a lot.

When I had a lady cleaning my house the kids were expected to put things away and straighten up the day before she came. I wanted her cleaning, not picking up toys or clothes.

On embarkation on the Inspiration once I went to my cabin early (Platinum). The halls were a disaster! :eek: Cabins were filled with all manner of trash. Several looked like confetti was strewn everywhere. I couldn't believe in an hour all that was gone and each cabin was pristene.

I too, bring Clorox wipes with me and wipe down counter, door handles, faucets, toilet button and seat and remote control before we really settle in. On my very first cruise I ended up with a nasty sore throat and cold so now I clean down everything really well before we settle in. I also like to wipe down the railing on the balcony that gets crusted up with salt from the sea water.

We keep our cabin pretty clean. Clothes put away, dirty clothes in the closet in a hamper, all the extra papers in the trash can, counters organzied and such. We just like it to be clean and organzied. Not to say, those stewards work so hard for such little pay, anything I can do to make their job easier makes me feel better inside. I appreciate someone coming in everyday and making my bed, cleaning my toilet and bringing me fresh towels.

We usually book inside staterooms for the three of us. I have to keep things neat and orderly so that things aren't in our way. I also bring a travel size Lysol spray to sanitize everything on the first day. It's just easier to function if the room is organized.

And may I ask what does inside rooms have to do with it. We're in an inside cabin and alway make sure clothes, etc. are picked up and put away before we leave the cabin for b'fast.

Oops! So sorry I really did not mean to offend anyone. I was simply making an observation. I am like you, I would put everything away, especially clothes that can be hung in the closet or folded up in drawers. And for me if I was staying in a small inside room it would be even more important that this is done. But then that's just me.

Nothing against inside rooms or those who stay in them.

Since we travel with children and still book 1 room it can get out of control fast if we weren't on top of putting everything in it's place! I don't actually wipe anything down but make sure that everything is put in it's proper place and bed is sort of made - not tucked in or anything but nothing strewn about.

I don't see how the stewards could get anything done if you had clothes and things everywhere.

I keep the room neat and bathroom neat. Clothes are put away or in a collapsible laundry hamper that I bring with me. Any counter space is keep as organized as possible.

The only cleaning I ever did was on a cruise where my husband developed noro-virus and was quarantined in the room. I asked the cabin steward for the disinfectant spray they use to clean the rooms with passengers sick with noro-virus . I would wipe down all the contact surfaces in the room several times a day.

It was in my own best interests to make sure I didn't pick the bug up in the cabin.

I just have a problem with thinking I am using a towel to dry my face today that may have dried my bottom yesterday.

I won't reuse a towel from the day before.

I'm with you on this one. I don't know how people reuse towels. I have a problem drying my face with a towel I used earlier to dry my butt and other areas.

The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin steward. I It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

I think what you are describing is being reasonable and thoughtful. We do the same thing, except I don't bring my dishes back to the Kitchen (lol). I do it at home for the same reasons, being reasonable and thoughtful of my wife. :D

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

nothing wrong with that. I will throw away my own trash, i pull the blankets up so the bed is "somewhat made" (its a habit, i do it at home everyday), put my clothes away, i put my toothbrush back right by my toothpaste so its not laying around. I just dont like a mess either. there is only so much space in the room.

I try to keep the cabin(s) in some form of decent order. Just because I can't take mess all over the place and chaos. Plus the room steward has a ton to do. I don't mind doing simple things like sitting room services dishes outside or piling up the towels in one spot. Or making sure he has room to maneuver around. It's only courteous even though it is his job IMO.

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

I will pick up, which I feel is my responsibility, but I won't clean, which IMHO is their job....

We were in a suite once and next door was another suite. I heard our steward working over there and wanted to say something to her, so I went to the open door next door and called her name, I couldn't believe the mess she had to clean up! Piles of clothes, empty beer cans, food, papers everywhere!! That would make me claustrophobic!

Archived