Do You Clean Your Own Cabin?

brendrek

Oops! So sorry I really did not mean to offend anyone. I was simply making an observation. I am like you, I would put everything away, especially clothes that can be hung in the closet or folded up in drawers. And for me if I was staying in a small inside room it would be even more important that this is done. But then that's just me.

Nothing against inside rooms or those who stay in them.

Thanks. I guess it just hit me the wrong way.

Of all the "tornado went through there" messy cabins I've seen, all but one were inside rooms. Of course, the vast majority of the rooms I've seen while walking a passageway have been tidy. I think it's a very few people who are slobs on cruise ships. The stewards might feel like the one messy room is worth 20 of the neat ones!

Any room with DD(16) living in it looks like a tornado went through it....a couple of weeks ago it was the balcony room adjoining ours :eek:.

We usually get an inside cabin - they're so small, you are forced to be neat! We throw away all the paper except the Funtimes, keep our clothes put away, etc. If we let it get messy, I can't find anything and get very frustrated. I'm not very neat or organized at home, though!

I also keep the cabin clean, so only the bed really needs to be made up. I have a friend who actually makes up the bed before he leaves the cabin in the morning. He likes to do it.

I have passed by cabins when the door was open and noticed such messes that it looked like a frat house. I felt so sorry for the cabin stewards.

We straighten up beds and hang up clothes but leave some work for stewards.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle (after 10-2-13) and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

Picked up? Yes. Toiletries and unused or dirty clothing put away? Yes. Throw the bed covers up? Yes, but make the bed - NO! NOT a neat freak, that's common courtesy... we'll stack any room service dishes to get them out of the way, but I don't bus my dishes in the Buffet or MDR, though I have to stop my wife from stacking them sometimes - old habits, ya know... ;)

JMO: Room service trays in the hallways of moving ships are a trip hazard. We'll set them out of the way, but keep them in the room until the next steward service.

Towels? We change them once a day, usually after morning "devotionals" (as my dad called it ;) ) during the day, we hang them back on the rack, especially if it's just Rusty and I. We've been together so long, we're very unlikely to cross-infect one another. :eek: Whatever she has, I already have it or I'm not gonna get it, and vice-versa...

On our first cruise (Celebrity) we went out for a few minutes (maybe 15-20) and had left our shirts and shorts that we had been wearing on the bed, fully intending to put them away when we got back. In the short time we were gone our steward went in and actually folded the clothes and put them on the chair...we were a little mortified that he had to do that :o, but we also tipped him more at the end of the week because of that kind of service :D

I reuse towels, I use the over the door shoe organizer to make sure everything we use has a place and I keep the "paper" organized with a clip. The bathroom is organized every day so that we can find anything we need at a moments notice. With that said...I hate cleaning so I'm not wiping anything down (have never gotten sick on a cruise), I'm not making the bed (don't do it at home...why would I start now!)....but I DO have a tendency to stack my plates and even buss my own table in the Lido :o...old habits I guess!

(I've read the whole thread now - had to make this second entry, the previous one has "closed Out" for editing)

To clarify: what we brought aboard or has been given to us is our responsibility, what's on the ship already is theirs.

The little glasses in the rooms are too small for a set of dentures, so we bring one (each) back from the bar. To signal the steward that we want them left in the room, we put the denture brush in one and the adhesive tube in the other.

Towels - we're both one-shower-a-day people, (we're not so active that we get sweaty ;) ) so we only use one of the bath towels each per day. After washing my hands or face, I use one of the hand towels and put it back to reuse, until the next morning. Rusty does the same. The only exception to that is Elegant Night - We want to be "clean and pretty" for dinner with our fancy duds, so we take a second shower. That's the only time we leave a towel on the floor during the day.

We don't leave stuff lying around at home, so we don't do it on the ship, either. We designate one of the suitcases as the dirty clothes hamper after we get aboard, and place it under the edge of the bed to pull out, put the laundry in, and push back under. That bag also gets the shoes we aren't wearing on the trip home, so they don't mess up the clean stuff left over.

After we read the FunTimes every night, we put it and all the flyers that come with it in the top-most drawer of the desk, to be sorted (and mostly trashed) at the end of the cruise. I try to keep a FunTimes from each day for future reference, but I'm not always successful.

Excursion tickets and anything of value go into the safe until the night before the excursion. They get laid out centered on top of the desk the night before, so we don't forget them in the rush to get the day started. Any other "important papers" such as the drink coupons or the PG party invitations, are set in a neat pile on one corner of the desk.

What'd I forget? OH! Walking through the hallways, looking into open rooms, (we're nosy!) we've seen neat ones and we've seen "tornado alleys" in every category. Fortunately, we see more neat rooms than messes, but I feel sorry for the stewards that have to wade through the mess.

Believe it or not, I was standing in the Guest Services line during one cruise, and a lady in front of me was complaining that she'd been aboard for three days and the steward hadn't put her clothes away yet. The GS Rep looked at her, shook her head slightly and said, very clearly, "That's not his job, it's yours!" and turned to the next in line. The lady stood there, mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water, while everyone behind the desk carefully ignored her. she was still like that when I finished my business and walked away... Some people - did she think she was on the Titanic? :D

I just have a problem with thinking I am using a towel to dry my face today that may have dried my bottom yesterday.

I won't reuse a towel from the day before.

Do you use multiple washcloths as well, or body puffs ? One for your face one for your body one for your bottom one for your feet.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I like keeping the room neat as well. Just so much easier to maneuver and the room looks inviting.

Leaving from a nearby port next time so I will try the over-the-door hanger using magnets instead of the hooks. I'm going to place it on the wall that abuts the couch and use it for eye glasses, cameras, sail and sign cards, etc.

I will reuse a towel that I already used to dry my hair, but body towels get replaced. Pool towels will be exchanged before we return to our cabin unless we are still dripping.

As kids, my mom always made us help clean up at someone else's house. She said guests had a responsibility not to be a bother by creating more work for the hostess. I guess it stuck.

She also said we had to be on our best behavior no matter what anyone else was doing. :( She meant it!!!

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

Our cabin is always tidy -- just like our house. Nothing is left laying around.

I do not clean the counter tops.

As for "busing" your table dinner -- that is a no-no. There is a bus boy/girl who does that. Stacking the dishes at the table? Are you kidding me?

On our last family cruise our three boys (21, 19, and 15) had the balcony cabin next to us. They didn't clean up after themselves!:eek: If fact I gave the Steward extra at the end of the cruise. Not so much as an extra tip - more like danger pay!;)

lol In military terms that would be Hazard Pay.

Archived