Do You Clean Your Own Cabin?

brendrek

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

Of course we don't want room stewards putting away our clothes, and space is too limited to let any sort of mess build up, so we keep things tidy, and all papers either put away or thrown away, fresh towels are a comfort we appreciate at home, so why not on a cruise: but actually cleaning? --- That is. overdoing it.

Bussing table at dinner is not just OCD - it is grossly discourteous to your table mates. Even if you are at a table for two, stacking empty plates is a put-down to your waiter --- and, in fact, probably makes his job harder: they know how to stack and carry - the way you do it could risk his dropping plates.

Thank God for the over the door shoe holder. Without it I might fall into the slob category.

We pick up and try to keep everything in its place. It just makes life easier. The one or two times we've been in a hurry or late for an appointment we have left clothes on the bed or couch with the intention of putting them away later.

The wonderful room steward always folds them up and leaves them on the back of the couch.

I do wish I could bring him home with me.

Bussing table at dinner is not just OCD - it is grossly discourteous to your table mates. Even if you are at a table for two, stacking empty plates is a put-down to your waiter --- and, in fact, probably makes his job harder: they know how to stack and carry - the way you do it could risk his dropping plates.

I will stack the dishes if we are at the buffet. Put down? Are you serious?

Dinner plate on dinner plate, saucer on saucer. How complicated can it be?

I also know how "to stack and carry". :rolleyes:

I will stack the dishes if we are at the buffet. Put down? Are you serious?

Dinner plate on dinner plate, saucer on saucer. How complicated can it be?

I also know how "to stack and carry". :rolleyes:

IMO, stacking your empty plates at the buffet is a completely different thing than stacking your plates in the main dining room at dinner.

I can't help it. The first day I make sure we fully unpack and all luggage gets put away. All our clothes get hung up or are neatly folded in the drawers. During the cruise I never leave the cabin a mess. Everyday I pick up trash, wipe down counters. I won't leave personal items laying around the bathroom, not even a toothbrush. Aside from making the bed and replacing the towels (we don't reuse them), I don't leave much for the cabin stewart. I also bus my own table at dinner, stack empty plates. It has nothing to do with tipping (I keep autotips on and leave extra), I just hate leaving a mess.

We are need and clean. We treat the cabin like we do our home. Don't dust but we don't really leave anything for the cabin steward to do other than the bathroom, change and make beds/towells we don't reuse them either, clear room service dishes which we stack, bring ice. We hang our own clothes and put personal items away.

Neat and tidy, yes - clothes and personal items put away. Actual cleaning, no, except for an antibacterial wipe-down upon arrival; - I'm on vacation and paying a large amount of money to have someone do this for me.

Reuse towels - maybe once or twice. Use a hand towel for face, bath towel for 'everything else'. At home we reuse towels and have NEVER had a staph infection.

Bus my own table?????? Never. If you're talking about the MDR, I would think your wait staff would be highly insulted and your tablemates embarrassed. Buffet - again, no. I will push used dishes to one side so that the staff knows I'm finished with them, but have never felt the need to stack and carry them across the room to the bins in the service areas.

I don't actually clean, but I do keep the cabin picked up--clothes put away, the general junk that accumulates put away or at least straightened. I don't make the bed or clean the bathroom except maybe wiping the counter if it's really messy.

I have seen 'those' rooms too, when walking down the hall and can't believe people can stand to be in them. I also feel sorry for the stewards.

I'm not a clean freak by any means, but I don't like clutter.

Geez I make our bed about twice a week at home so I'm sure not doing it on a cruise. We use a fresh towel every day at home so I sure want one on my cruise. I will leave some clothes laying around and they always lay them nicely on the chair. We have always put our kids in inside cabins and holy smoke are their rooms disasters. They order room service and its everywhere as are all the clothes. I always tell their steward just to make sure they have towels and then to run away lol. I think it was my kids room that the other poster was passing when she posted about the inside cabins:D

As far as for stacking dishes in the main dining room, it is rude to your server and other guests. It implies he is not clearing your dishes fast enough for you. I am in the biz and we much prefer to clear the dishes bc we stack a certain way to make it easy to carry. And it is not the way the other lady said, we clear ALL the large plates and then ALL the little,so it is not helpful.

I cannot stand a cluttered room, even on vacation. I have to keep everything organized and keep the precious counter space as open as possible. My other half doesn't care so much about this. It drives me crazy. I am always the one picking up clothes, etc and putting them away. I can't even relax if my room is cluttered or a mess on vacation. As far as actual cleaning, I do not do any past the first day where I wipe everything down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I am glad I am not the only one who does this. :) Once I started working in the hospitality industry and seeing how hard housekeepers work I now tend to avoid having my hotel room or now cruise room cleaned. If we are staying someplace more then 3 days I will have it cleaned on the third day just because most places are required to go in after the third day anyways, but I still pick up and tidy up so it's not that much they really have to do.

If the towels were different colors, so we would know which one was ours, I would re-use. I am NOT going to use someone else's towel. YUCK! :cool: At home, we each have a color.

We keep our room neat, but don't clean. If we make mixed drinks and make a mess cutting limes, we will clean that up. :)

I am glad I am not the only one who does this. :) Once I started working in the hospitality industry and seeing how hard housekeepers work I now tend to avoid having my hotel room or now cruise room cleaned. If we are staying someplace more then 3 days I will have it cleaned on the third day just because most places are required to go in after the third day anyways, but I still pick up and tidy up so it's not that much they really have to do.

I'm really weird about housekeeping at hotels, even though on cruises I think nothing of it. We just stayed in Orlando (my daughter and I) for 9 nights at 3 different hotels. Our final hotel was a 5 night stay - it was 2 of us in a suite that can fit 6, so we had plenty enough towels, and we were hardly ever in the room. I kept the do not disturb sign up the entire time - we never needed new towels, and we weren't there enough to generate much mess. I wondered if they thought it odd that I didn't want any housekeeping services. I'm sure they expected to find a mess at the end of the 5 days, but other than the used towels in the tub and the unmade beds, you couldn't even tell we'd been there.

I clean our house before the cleaning lady come:D. Our house looks like a model house for sale. I do not clean our cabin, but I do always keep it nice and neat. On our last three cruises, the steward never cleans our room in the morning; they did it only at night. And yes, I still gave them extra ten dollars a day tip.

M

It's interesting that the messy people aren't responding :p

We all know you exist, your cabin doors are open during cleaning :eek:

We like to have the cabin look (as much as possible) like it does upon boarding all week. The space is too limited to have clutter, I'd be frustrated trying to find things and probably be late for everything if it wasn't well organized.

When our kids used to cruise with us, I swear it took us 20 minutes a day to supervise the pick up chores (we did not do it for them) prior to the cabin steward coming in to clean. You would have thought they'd get tired of it and just do it before we arrived.

Over the years we've learned what to take and what is unnecessary clutter. Leave home the stuff that doesn't get used and you don't have to find a place for it.

I am manic about being sure to leave the cabin as we found it when we leave. I don't leave any papers on the counter, anything in drawers or in the bathroom. Anything we have used and are done with goes in the waste basket and the counters are empty of all except what HAL had there when we arrived that will be used by the next guest.

Not one time in all our cruises has any steward ever had to hang up something of ours or found any clothes laying arround. Whatever clothing we have is in a drawer or in a closet. We don't leave clothes laying around at home and not in a hotel or on a ship.

On ships, we have the room cleaned daily but funny how sometimes in hotels, we only have housekeeping come in every other day. I might see the housekeeper in the hallway and ask for some fresh towels but if not, we resue the bath towels once. I won't use the same towel more than that.

No where in this thread did I read that someone bussed their dishes in the MDR. Did I miss it?

I wouldn't bus in the MDR, but in the buffet I will stack and if I'm near the bussing station it's not beneath me to carry the dishes there.

I've waited tables myself. So I'm not totally in the dark here.

Also my main reason for stacking, or bussing in the buffet is not as much for the workers, it's for the next diner at my vacated table.

It can be very crowded and chaotic at the buffet. If I can make it a little easier for them to find a some what 'clean' place to eat, ... why not?

Large dishes first, and so on and so on. Sheesh!

No where in this thread did I read that someone bussed their dishes in the MDR. Did I miss it?

I wouldn't bus in the MDR, but in the buffet I will stack and if I'm near the bussing station it's not beneath me to carry the dishes there.

I've waited tables myself. So I'm not totally in the dark here.

Also my main reason for stacking, or bussing in the buffet is not as much for the workers, it's for the next diner at my vacated table.

It can be very crowded and chaotic at the buffet. If I can make it a little easier for them to find a some what 'clean' place to eat, ... why not?

Large dishes first, and so on and so on. Sheesh!

The OP said that's what she does. Post #1.

Archived