What do you consider "reasonable" price for Celebrity cruise?

Smiles3usa

Reading the OPs comment my immediate reaction was that $160 seems high for just a balcony...unless there is a lot of other stuff tossed in with the booking. We actually have an Aqua Class (balcony) cabin, on an upcoming cruise, where we paid $161 (total cost) per passenger day which is about the most we have paid for a cabin on Celebrity. But, with that booking we got pre paid gratuities and the drink package. Those two items have a value of $56 per day...so our cost for an Aqua Class (more expensive then most normal balcony cabins) is $104. We normally use $120 as our benchmark for balconies.

Hank

Reading the OPs comment my immediate reaction was that $160 seems high for just a balcony...unless there is a lot of other stuff tossed in with the booking. We actually have an Aqua Class (balcony) cabin, on an upcoming cruise, where we paid $161 (total cost) per passenger day which is about the most we have paid for a cabin on Celebrity. But, with that booking we got pre paid gratuities and the drink package. Those two items have a value of $56 per day...so our cost for an Aqua Class (more expensive then most normal balcony cabins) is $104. We normally use $120 as our benchmark for balconies.

Hank

We just paid $121/day for Aqua class cabin (before paying taxes and port fees) and before the classic drink package and prepaid gratuities which were included, for an upcoming 7-day on Summit. I thought that was pretty good.

Some great bargains can be found if you shop around, but also if you wait for the right one to come along in a promotion/sale.

Are you asking about the cruise only fare? Or including port charges, drinks, excursions, specialty restaurants, extra tips, shopping, transportation, pre-cruise hotel, expenses pre or post cruise, cabs, meals ashore?

Are you asking about a long Mediterranean cruise, or a 7 night Caribbean, or one around the world?

Do you use laundry services while aboard?

For two of us, a recent last minute 7 night cruise at rock bottom price of $549 pp, with port charges, insurance, tips, pier parking, drinks, and light shopping was about $2500.

You point out how many issues there are to consider. We always start with the total cost of any vacation before dividing it by the total days.

I find the cost of airfare has an enormous impact on the total cost of the vacation. If you live far from cruise ports, this is a huge issue.

As a side note, our next cruise is a 5 day out of Ft. Lauderdale. We are extending it with a few extra "sun" days.

The daily cost of this cruise will be very reasonable. Is this cheating ?;)

We don't like port intensive cruises at any price. We like a bargain but that is not the deciding factor. I find cruising to be as expensive as a 7 day land vacation (good motel, admission fees, food, parking, gas, tolls etc) but it is the "It's a vacation" that we love so much when cruising! That's priceless!

Gary & Vicki:rolleyes:

To each his own but why would you avoid "port intensive cruises at any price" ?

You have the option of staying on board with an empty boat all to your self.

I don't understand but am sure I am missing something.:o

We do understand the avoidance of port intensive cruises. We still do some of them, but really love to seek-out cruises with lots of sea days (our personal record is 23 sea days on a single cruise). And we would point out that sea days have a totally different atmosphere when compared to staying on a ship in port (we also do this). Personally, I love those long lazy sea days when I can sit on my balcony (or on a high outside deck) with a glass of wine, a good book (or Kindle), and watch and listen to the sea. Being in a port with an oft ugly view of a pier, crane, etc...is just not the same.

Hank

To each his own but why would you avoid "port intensive cruises at any price" ?

You have the option of staying on board with an empty boat all to your self.

I don't understand but am sure I am missing something.:o

I like a good mixture of sea days and ports. As you say, each to their own.:D

We do understand the avoidance of port intensive cruises. We still do some of them, but really love to seek-out cruises with lots of sea days (our personal record is 23 sea days on a single cruise). And we would point out that sea days have a totally different atmosphere when compared to staying on a ship in port (we also do this). Personally, I love those long lazy sea days when I can sit on my balcony (or on a high outside deck) with a glass of wine, a good book (or Kindle), and watch and listen to the sea. Being in a port with an oft ugly view of a pier, crane, etc...is just not the same.

Hank

I agree, while it is nice to have the boat to yourself, it lacks a lot of the elements that a sea day offers, some of the activities, MDR lunch, just to name a few.:D

Very simple answer from my very simple brain: It is reasonable to me if I pay it. It is not reasonable to me if I don't pay it.

Me too!! Including 1 way airfare I am paying nearly $300 per day for my April Calif. cruise.."BUT" I am cruising solo...in a balcony...and will be visiting places I have never been...as well as meeting friends I've talked with here on CC for years...that experience for me is PRICELESS..would have been even more if I did not have FF points for the flight to Ca as well as hotel points for my 2 night stay pre-cruise...

Me too!! Including 1 way airfare I am paying nearly $300 per day for my April Calif. cruise.."BUT" I am cruising solo...in a balcony...and will be visiting places I have never been...as well as meeting friends I've talked with here on CC for years...that experience for me is PRICELESS..would have been even more if I did not have FF points for the flight to Ca as well as hotel points for my 2 night stay pre-cruise...

Have a wonderful cruise.

It is all about how you prioritizing your spending needs, if you really want something then you are prepared to pay for it. Enjoy:D

When I want to experience what I think will be the very best for me, it is always an 1A or higher. For some reason I can't stop sailing in Europe, and in my younger days it was the Caribbean. Once I complete Europe it will be back to New Zealand and Australia. I have only seen them by land! My upcoming 14 day Baltic was $5,900 for a 1A, booked onboard another cruise, with $650 OBC and gratuities paid. I do not drink except for a little Sangria or speciality drink once in a while. I want to experience 2 days in Russia with a private guide and driver with only my DH. All I do is just contract more hours when I want to splurge. I have worked very hard going to school and getting advanced degrees, and feel traveling is the frosting on the cake!:) I am thankful that I am healthy, very active and love life...not to mention my wonderful DH. We only get one go around so make it count!!!

When I want to experience what I think will be the very best for me, it is always an 1A or higher. For some reason I can't stop sailing in Europe, and in my younger days it was the Caribbean. Once I complete Europe it will be back to New Zealand and Australia. I have only seen them by land! My upcoming 14 day Baltic was $5,900 for a 1A, booked onboard another cruise, with $650 OBC and gratuities paid. I do not drink except for a little Sangria or speciality drink once in a while. I want to experience 2 days in Russia with a private guide and driver with only my DH. All I do is just contract more hours when I want to splurge. I have worked very hard going to school and getting advanced degrees, and feel traveling is the frosting on the cake!:) I am thankful that I am healthy, very active and love life...not to mention my wonderful DH. We only get one go around so make it count!!!

Great attitude and I toytally agree - Carpe Diem.:D

Archived