are there lots of formal gowns?

Normajean999

Hello all! I am going on my first cruise in November on the Carnival Dream. So excited! I am looking at formal gowns because I think it would be fun to get all dressed up as I've never had a need to in my life. My question is - are lots of ladies still wearing formal gowns? And in particular how formal? I am looking at gowns with a train. Am I going to look like a dork and be the only one?! My DH has even agreed to wear a tux :) Thanks for you time!

Sad to say, but the trend (which started on the left coast) to "dress down" has certainly caught on with the Carnival crowd. Yes, you will see some Tuxes, but a majority of men will be in a suite or sport coat with quite a few not even bothering to wear a jacket/tie. As to the ladies, you will see everything from beautiful goes to outfits you (and DW) would probably not wear outside the house. On Carnival you would be as likely to stand next to a teen wearing jeans and a baseball cap (even on formal nights) as a lady in a beautiful gown. That being said, we think its fun to dress up (I usually take a tux on any cruise) and since is now the "me me me" generation you should dress to the nines. You will feel better about yourself, and the one's who are not properly dressed will secretly be a bit jealous.

Hank

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I never have a chance to dress up except on a cruise, so I enjoy it. You will be in a minority but you will look fantastic (and feel that way), so definitely dress up!

Come over and talk to us on the Cruise Fashion forum. We love discussing clothing and looking at pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Have a wonderful cruise!

Be careful with a train. My favorite dress, which I wear on every cruise, has a train that is at most 6 inches long, and not all the way around the back. I have to pick it up when walking in a group or even standing in line because people step on it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will be lucky to see another lady in a gown. Times have changed.

On our last 20 day cruise, there were only a handful of men who wore tuxedos. DH has now out his in the back of the closet.

Will you have any use for the gown at home?

If not -- consider a cocktail dress -- you will have more occasions to wear that at home as well.

One thing I have found that seems to determine the "dress up" ratio, is time of year, and length of cruise. Hubs and I went on a 7 day on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans last year the sailing right after Thanksgiving. There were more people dressed to the nines on both formal nights, and basically in general than we have seen in a long time. We dress up no matter what, maybe not a tux, but he will either wear a suit or a dress kilt. I have a few gowns that I love to wear as well. Who cares what others think, at least thats what the girls wearing bedroom slippers at the table next to us in the MDR must have thought. :p

You'll probably get stared at. But I suspect that the majority of stares (at least from the women!) will be accompanied by thoughts along the lines of "I wish I had worn something like that." I'm afraid that I'm terribly old fashioned and love to see men and women in formal dress. It doesn't even need to be expensive: one of my friends has a couple of dresses that she rescued, repaired and rejuvenated from a charity shop, and on the occasions when she has worn them to formal dinners, I have heard many admiring comments - in fact I can't remember ever hearing a negative one.

It's your vacation. Dress to suit yourself and enjoy it!

Because you seldom get the opportunity to dress in a formal gown, do it!Many will be dressed to the nines. And even if you are the only one in a formal gown, you are going to feel so special. There will be a lot saying to themselves that they wished they had done the same.

Thank you all for your feedback! I think I agree with those who said secretly other ladies will wish they wore a gown. I just know if I don't I will be jealous of those that did. I would never have a need for a fancy cocktail dress or gown at home but would feel fancier in a gown and will probably only wear the gown on our future cruises because I'm sure there will be more! Hope hope!

One thing I have found that seems to determine the "dress up" ratio, is time of year, and length of cruise. Hubs and I went on a 7 day on the Carnival Conquest out of New Orleans last year the sailing right after Thanksgiving. There were more people dressed to the nines on both formal nights, and basically in general than we have seen in a long time. We dress up no matter what, maybe not a tux, but he will either wear a suit or a dress kilt. I have a few gowns that I love to wear as well. Who cares what others think, at least thats what the girls wearing bedroom slippers at the table next to us in the MDR must have thought. :p

Bedroom slippers? Giggle. So classy!

Be careful with a train. My favorite dress, which I wear on every cruise, has a train that is at most 6 inches long, and not all the way around the back. I have to pick it up when walking in a group or even standing in line because people step on it.

Thanks for the tip. I remember that from my wedding now lol!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I never have a chance to dress up except on a cruise, so I enjoy it. You will be in a minority but you will look fantastic (and feel that way), so definitely dress up!

Come over and talk to us on the Cruise Fashion forum. We love discussing clothing and looking at pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Have a wonderful cruise!

Awesome! I didn't even know of that forum. Thanks so much!

I always wear a formal gown at least one night, if not both. Casual nights, i tend to wear nice dresses. I don't do it for attention or for anyone else. I also don't care if I'm "overdressed" as I enjoy dressing up. Just because someone else decides to dress casually on elegant night, doesn't mean that I have to do the same :)

My last cruise was the Carnival Dream. I always wear a gown at least 1 of the formal nights (typically the first). I never felt out of place. I pamper myself getting ready, then do the rounds of photos before dinner. Standing in line for photos will mostly be other people/families also dressed up. They may not be tuxes and gowns, as those are a bit rare, but you will find yourself in a crowd of folks making an effort to get dressed up. The fancier do tend to stand out, but in an awed kind of way, so I'm glad you've decided to go for it!

Btw - I loved the Dream! Have fun!

I always dress up for formal nights, including on a Carnival cruise.

I was among the most dressed up, but it's not like I was in a gown while everyone else was lounging in their yoga pants.

The majority of people were dressed nice, and a few had gowns(men in suits). Only saw 1 tux.

Oh the bedroom slippers were for the formal night, they even matched her Mumu... on the second formal night she actually arrived barefoot!!!:eek:

We just looked shook our heads and still giggle about it to this day. We got stares since my husband is slightly old fashioned and especially on the ship he would do things like hold my chair for me and stand if I had to leave to use the ladies room... But I would rather be talked about because of that and because we dressed formally (and have some gorgeous pictures to shoe for it) than because I wore a mumu and went barefoot to the MDR.

Archived