Questionable upgrade from the fairy

lolane1

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, then some one owes you a substantial OBC, but I bet it will not be coming from NCL. Your situation is why I never recommend using any online agency for booking cruises, a cruise is not the same thing as booking a hotel room or airline ticket online. I like the personal contact with the same person every time. I have been using a person TA for many years and I have her cell phone number and can call her even at night. If this had happened to me at 8:30pm, I could have gotten in touch with her last night to resolve the issue.

If you didnt book a gty then you are leaving out something here. BA to B2 technically is an "upgrade" but could not be done without your consent. NCL cant just randomly change people cabins if you booked a specific one.

Not true. They make changes for all kinds of reasons. On one cruise we didn't find out that my brother's family (who specifically booked the cabin next to ours well in advance) was moved to the other side of the ship until check-in on embarkation day. Since then we always link reservations with fellow travelers so at least NCL knows we are traveling together. But it doesn't mean we won't be moved.

Not true. They make changes for all kinds of reasons. On one cruise we didn't find out that my brother's family (who specifically booked the cabin next to ours well in advance) was moved to the other side of the ship until check-in on embarkation day. Since then we always link reservations with fellow travelers so at least NCL knows we are traveling together. But it doesn't mean we won't be moved.

Moving someone because of an issue with a cabin is not the same as upgrading them.

I have NEVER been offered an "upgrade" where I did not have complete control of whether or not I would take it. And I have never book guarantee. If you have a specific cabin, and you have paid for that cabin, you are in no way obligated to accept any other cabin "upgrade" from them. I have actually looked up the new cabin and either said yes or no. If it is no, then sometimes they will suggest another cabin to see if I will take that. If you have already let them get away with this, nothing you can do, but it was in your control, not theirs.

My understanding is that unless you specified "no upgrade" at the time of booking, NCL can give you a free upgrade without your consent since the consent is implied if you didn't specify "no upgrade".

Truer words were never spoken.

However, in this case I didn't worry about an upgrade because I was not aware of a family balcony room category. Who knew?? Every other line I have been on has "real" upgrades. This, oddly enough, is a downgrade by moving us from midship to aft, unless one can use the extra overhead bed. We are only two people and it is useless.

It totally galls me that someone who perhaps booked a guarantee is getting my midship room.

So the upgrade is moving us to the rear. FYI, we have a call in and they are looking into it. Will let you know.

I made a reservation for a Jade cruise in May of 2014. I was on the phone with the NCL agent and agreed on a room. No big deal - just an inside room in a good spot on the 5th floor with nothing above us. Checked our reservation on line about a week after. Everything ok. Checked our reservation about a month later - BINGO - we are in a different cabin - same category - same floor - different cabin.

No call - nothing. Good thing there was no issue with anything above us or else I would have been very upset. And our original room is no longer in inventory.

Not too pleased.

Truer words were never spoken.

However, in this case I didn't worry about an upgrade because I was not aware of a family balcony room category. Who knew?? Every other line I have been on has "real" upgrades. This, oddly enough, is a downgrade by moving us from midship to aft, unless one can use the extra overhead bed. We are only two people and it is useless.

It totally galls me that someone who perhaps booked a guarantee is getting my midship room.

So the upgrade is moving us to the rear. FYI, we have a call in and they are looking into it. Will let you know.

This thread was an eye-opener for me. I do hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

I just fired off an email to my online TA for my next cruise (on HAL this time) asking to not be upgraded!

We booked 9618 (BA) and were moved to 9144 (B2). Notification of the upgrade was from our internet agency (one that I have used many times) at 8PM tonight telling us that Norwegian has given us a complimentary upgrade. We came home too late to call the internet agency but just called Norwegian. She laid blame on the internet agency and said, Yes, indeed our room has been given away.

Crying real tears but hoping things can be worked out.

If I had to guess?

The internet agency you use bought a block of rooms, including both the one you were in and the one you are being moved to. They had someone who wanted to be in the room you're in, so they "upgraded" you to another of the rooms in their block. That would explain how this happened without Norwegian being aware of/to blame for the switch.

If it were me, I'd call the internet agency and suggest they "upgrade" whoever is in the room you actually requested to the room you're now in.

Richard/tralfie

NCL called us today and offered us upgrades. We had 4 people in an inside cabin and they offered to split us into 2 inside cabins. Since my parents had a balcony cabin linked to us they upgraded them to a balcony cabin with a larger balcony. We moved from deck 12 to deck 9. My understanding is that there are still a lot of rooms vacant on the ship so they are offering upgrades since prices are beginning to drop.

If I had to guess?

The internet agency you use bought a block of rooms, including both the one you were in and the one you are being moved to. They had someone who wanted to be in the room you're in, so they "upgraded" you to another of the rooms in their block. That would explain how this happened without Norwegian being aware of/to blame for the switch.

If it were me, I'd call the internet agency and suggest they "upgrade" whoever is in the room you actually requested to the room you're now in.

Richard/tralfie

I think you have hit the nail on the head. From the tone of the conversation and the fact they RESENT their contract to us, I am guessing that your suggestion is correct. Final payment is due tomorrow and I think they are dragging their feet to secure the sale. I have done what you recommended. I wrote a letter to the internet agency. (In addition to the phone calls today) For what it's worth I have booked many cruises with them over the years but unfortunately, business is business and we are all a commodity. Sigh.

SOLUTION HOORAY!

So the internet agency (who were sympathic and lovely) and Norwegian (who were also sympathic and LOVELY) both blamed each other. BUT, we are now back in a midship balcony

and have a choice of 9102 near elevators and 10562 which is more forward (a big plus for us) but has a connecting door to another room (a sort of minus) Called my daughter to make the decision but Alls Well That Ends Well.

I am one happy camper.

solution hooray!

So the internet agency (who were sympathic and lovely) and norwegian (who were also sympathic and lovely) both blamed each other. But, we are now back in a midship balcony

and have a choice of 9102 near elevators and 10562 which is more forward (a big plus for us) but has a connecting door to another room (a sort of minus) called my daughter to make the decision but alls well that ends well.

I am one happy camper.

good for you....!!:d

SOLUTION HOORAY!

So the internet agency (who were sympathic and lovely) and Norwegian (who were also sympathic and LOVELY) both blamed each other. BUT, we are now back in a midship balcony

and have a choice of 9102 near elevators and 10562 which is more forward (a big plus for us) but has a connecting door to another room (a sort of minus) Called my daughter to make the decision but Alls Well That Ends Well.

I am one happy camper.

Glad it has been resolved, but what was each's explanation of how this happened? Incidentally, on the other thread about this same issue, NCL Social Media responded to the OP with a request for RES# so that they can look into it. Glad it is being looked into as I would like an answer on what NCLs and the TAs policies are on this kind of thing.

Glad it has been resolved, but what was each's explanation of how this happened? Incidentally, on the other thread about this same issue, NCL Social Media responded to the OP with a request for RES# so that they can look into it. Glad it is being looked into as I would like an answer on what NCLs and the TAs policies are on this kind of thing.

NCL said the internet agency accepted it on our behalf but the internet agency said they didn't know now it happended. According to the agency, we had the right of refusal so they weren't sure what actually happened. I suppose it somehow got lost in translation. However, you should know that the internet agency has worked overtime with many calls to NCL getting us an even better located midship balcony room over the ones previously posted. We are now located in a perfect spot. I am amazed at the professionalism of both NCL and the agency. 4 thumbs up (the two of us, I am not deformed)

PS: I was not demanding, nor aggressive, just factual in dealing with both. Everything was maintained on pleasant terms with them while I freaked out in private and here on cruise critic.:o

All that stress on my part, retrospectively, was not necessary but who knew. I guess we are not a commodity. Lesson learned big time.

SOLUTION HOORAY!

So the internet agency (who were sympathic and lovely) and Norwegian (who were also sympathic and LOVELY) both blamed each other. .

Sounds like Congress and the President :eek: LOL

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction, but did they give you any little amenities for the indiscretions?:confused: Will you have a plate of chocolate covered strawberries waiting for you when you board?

Archived