Scattered Rum Runners

Robinola

They will only pull the bag they have a question about. They do not go about matching up peoples luggage.

I don't use rum runners anymore but when I did, they never picked up on them. When I did put them in luggage, I would make sure that particular suitcase had nothing at all that might raise suspicion. I wouldn't even put a bottle of mouthwash, or large toiletries bottles.

Back before the wine was allowed and I had two bottles of wine in my suitcase and was called down, they asked if I had a bottle of wine in my bag and when I said yes, they said they needed to confiscate it and could I open the bag and give it to them. Stupid me dug deep and gave up both bottles. I asked if I could have them back before disembarkation and they said no (this was out in San Diego in 2009 or maybe 2010). I was really annoyed since at the time, we never had a problem sailing out of the east coast with wine in our luggage and if you did you always got it back the last night. I had just come from a wine tasting and they were very expensive. grrrrrr

when you got caught, was that Mariner of the Seas? when it was in port canaveral, it was known for finding liquor too. my thoughts were that the captain was harder about smuggling and he had ensured his staff would search and find better than other ships.

Sorry but you got the wrong person. That was UNV-IT.

I agree with what you said. I just think the cruise lines should try to accommodate the folks who would like the option of having drinks in their cabin at their convenience. However, they will never be able to accommodate the cheap ones as they will always try to smuggle just to save a buck.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

by cheap I am guessing you mean frugal, economical, thrifty or prudent b because a buck is actual 20 shot in a 750 ml bottle @ 10$ a shot that is 200$ per bottleand I am sure no one going into any cruise and pays full price because we are all frugal regardless of our means no offence intended

Sorry but you got the wrong person. That was UNV-IT.

I agree with what you said. I just think the cruise lines should try to accommodate the folks who would like the option of having drinks in their cabin at their convenience. However, they will never be able to accommodate the cheap ones as they will always try to smuggle just to save a buck.

i whole heartily apologize. i leaped before i looked. i had a senior moment. again i truly apologize. i do see you are the wrong person....

my bad......

by cheap I am guessing you mean frugal, economical, thrifty or prudent b because a buck is actual 20 shot in a 750 ml bottle @ 10$ a shot that is 200$ per bottleand I am sure no one going into any cruise and pays full price because we are all frugal regardless of our means no offence intended

Yes I guess you could also use the terms frugal and thrifty if it helps to justify it in your own mind. No offence intended.

I was understanding that you can bring wine or champagne?? Should it be in the luggage or carry-on..

You can put the wine in either carry-on or luggage, but I recommend you take it in the carry-on. Less chance of luggage delay if the x-ray shows something suspicious.

IMHO--if you can afford all the cruises you have listed, you certainly can afford to buy drinks on the ship and save your self the embarrassment of getting caught smuggling booze. remember this is IMHO only.

i am fish tales and i approve of this message...

Well I've never been caught. Secondly if I did get caught I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. Because I know three more bags are sitting in my room with rum runners in them too. So it's all great fun for me. :D

Yes I guess you could also use the terms frugal and thrifty if it helps to justify it in your own mind. No offence intended.

You assume because I bring my own drinks I must be cheap and not spend money onboard. Oh if only that were the case. My last 7 night I had a $2900 total bill for 7 nights. 2 people. Ya I'm so cheap.

when you got caught, was that Mariner of the Seas? when it was in port canaveral, it was known for finding liquor too. my thoughts were that the captain was harder about smuggling and he had ensured his staff would search and find better than other ships.

It was the Mariner Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego (if I recall). they were even strict with bottled water and soda. That was my only time on a west coast cruise. It was one of my most enjoyable cruises other than losing my two $75 bottles of fine wine. They tried to blame not giving it back on a Customs policy. HA, guess who works for CBP. I dropped it after that, I knew the rules, they just didn't enforce it very much from the Atlantic ports. Hell even Puerto Rico in 2008, there is a gangway practically at the gate and you can bring bottles of wine onboard without hiding them. Then they really cracked down everywhere for about three years until the recent new policy, which I love.

And to Liz, this happened to me prior to the new wine policy. Now we bring two bottles and due to access to the lounge have a hard time drinking both bottles. We enjoy the wine flights and wine tastings too; so they certainly get plenty of our money on board.

You assume because I bring my own drinks I must be cheap and not spend money onboard. Oh if only that were the case. My last 7 night I had a $2900 total bill for 7 nights. 2 people. Ya I'm so cheap.

No, that's not what I assume about you at all. I was responding to another poster. People do it for various reasons. Some do it just because they can get away with it. I guess you missed my first post.....here it is again.

I don't smuggle - It's not worth the hassle for me as we just don't drink that much. But I think a lot of folks smuggle for the convenience of having it in their cabin. Yes some do it to save money.

I think if RCI allowed you to buy a bottle for your cabin, even at an inflated price (ie an acceptable mark up) you would see a lot of the smuggling go away.

This, of course, is just my opinion. :p

Edited by The Sunset Glow

I don't smuggle - It's not worth the hassle for me as we just don't drink that much. But I think a lot of folks smuggle for the convenience of having it in their cabin. Yes some do it to save money.

I think if RCI allowed you to buy a bottle for your cabin, even at an inflated price (ie an acceptable mark up) you would see a lot of the smuggling go away.

This, of course, is just my opinion. :p

Carnival has allowed booze to be purchased for cabin use for some time now. Cruisers on that line have used the same "it isn't about the money" line as pax on other lines do.

If you check out their board and threads you will notice many about smuggling. Allowing booze to be purchased for cabin usage hasn't slowed the smugglers down on Carnival and I'm betting it wouldn't slow anything down on RCI either.

Our first non-Disney cruise is coming up on Allure for Thanksgiving week. From experience on DCL who allow you to have whatever you carry onboard (they don't want you hauling your beverages on in checked bags) we still spend plenty on bar drinks. The hubby & I just got off the Disney Fantasy on Saturday. We carried on biiig bottles of Parrot Bay rum & Crown Royal. We left behind at least half the bottle of rum and brought home a little more than half the bottle of Crown. And we STILL spent at least $500 on bar drinks. Technically, Disney asks that you don't carry your own beverages to any of the shows but we've never eeeeever seen anyone dinged for openly doing so. We don't usually carry our own beverages to shows or night club venues but we've seen it done maaaany times. Still, DCL is making plenty on the bar drinks. I don't think it's always about saving a buck. For us at least, it's about having what we want to drink. It's not like I can go to a bar and ask for coconut rum and pink lemonade. LOL! I'm still on the fence whether or not to give the rum runners a shot. I have some. I have the liquor. Might as well.

Rum runners work great - double bag them with gallon zip lock bags just to be safe and intersperse them in your luggage that you give to the porter at the dock. We have never had a problem - incidentally - they do not open your bags and go through them - they request that you open the bag at the naughty room. And no, they will not pull all your bags even if they find one with something questionable in it. Rum runners are almost invisible to any inspection done by a machine.............

No, that's not what I assume about you at all. I was responding to another poster. People do it for various reasons. Some do it just because they can get away with it. I guess you missed my first post.....here it is again.

Sorry. I missed that. That's exactly why I bring my own because I always get a balcony and enjoy drinks in my room. I don't pour and walk around.

Correct, you can take wine to your cabin. However, if you take wine that your brought on board to the dining room, they may charge you a fee.

Bob

My DW called a few days ago and asked if unfinished wine purchased in the MDR could be taken back to the stateroom. She was told no.

So who should I believe? RCCL or Bob?

...Most definitely Bob! :cool:

My DW called a few days ago and asked if unfinished wine purchased in the MDR could be taken back to the stateroom. She was told no.

So who should I believe? RCCL or Bob?

...Most definitely Bob! :cool:

We've always been able to take wine from the MDR anyplace we like.

When that policy was in place I gladly bought the bottle and went back to my room. Not Now! Rum Runners are the way to go, though I never got caught just bringing it in the bottles. I will bring a bit on every cruise, I do at every hotel I stay in as I am not going to order room service or use the hyper inflated priced mini-bar either. You can call me cheap or frugal. I just don't care.