Roll Calls...the Good, Bad and the Ugly

Smiles3usa

that they don't, or have more fun with it than they do.

I also can't believe people would cancel a cruise, or book a cruise, just because of the roll call.

Wow.

I did. There was a woman who behaved quite badly towards me on a previous cruise. She was downright nasty and I did try to avoid her on a TA but it was impossible. There was no way I wanted to be on the same ship with her ever again and listen to her evil mouth.

I didn't exactly cancel the cruise, I just chose another sailing to avoid her.

My personal favorite is the DAILY countdown, as if I'd forget when I have a cruise scheduled. my pet peeve is when one person insists on taking over or monopolizing the roll call, or in one case of a roll call I was on, one person constantly posted a daily countdown with extra-large font and lots of graphics

with little dancing frogs and cutesie pictures, et cet, which would freeze my old computer. I wish the roll calls were restricted to text-only, which might alleviate some issues

One little cutesie pic would have been enough, but this particular person attached several pics to each daily countdown.

I actually know exactly (kinda like really :p) what you're talking about.

Years ago I was on a roll call that was started by a regular and popular Celebrity Board poster that got hijacked by a serial poster who contributed nothing but clutter.

Ruined the thread.

Edited by A Sixth?

I am in a wheelchair so I cruise for the ship and all that comes with it as ports aren't extremely accessible once you get away from the pier area. I like roll calls with the chit chat as the people are a big part of my cruise. My current cruise thread here on Celebrity is very much about excursions. To add on to that, we appear to be the only couple with a child along so I don't think I ever posted more than once.

On past cruises on RCCL, I have had chatty roll calls and gotten very involved including creating a little signature image for the group along with matching door magnets to help you find your door easier once on the ship. Those were fun cruises as you would run into fellows CC folks, and you take the time to smile and maybe chat about how they are enjoying their week because they are more than just another face.

My two Roll Calls leaving from Southampton, England have resulted in not much of roll calls at all. My thoughts are that many are cruising from the British Isles, and just not that many are on Cruise Critic. These two cruises have been a lot quieter onboard and off than the Silhouette or Equinox. Do any of you have any opinions about this?

I love all the information on CC, and Terry's information is top notch! Either way, my DH and I have a wonderful cruise due to planning and making it a choice!

My wish is that a very few posters would use a better choice of words when replying to those who asked questions, or share their opinions. Not everyone has you knowledge or information background...do it with politeness! :)

Edited by Lastdance

We just booked our third cruise - first with Celebrity and found everyone on the roll call for our first cruise really helpful with tips and information. It was great to meet up on the ship and put faces to names. Dont think I found a roll call for second cruise which sailed from Civitivecchia and put it down to the fact that the vast majority of passengers were Italian. Most people I know from local area here in Scotland do not know anything about this site and don't seem to have any interest in chatting with fellow passengers. I on the other hand love it and was thrilled to see a roll call for our upcoming cruise.

I did. There was a woman who behaved quite badly towards me on a previous cruise. She was downright nasty and I did try to avoid her on a TA but it was impossible. There was no way I wanted to be on the same ship with her ever again and listen to her evil mouth.

I didn't exactly cancel the cruise, I just chose another sailing to avoid her.

Same thing happened to us. First, she tried to take over an existing roll call and made sure everyone knew she was usually the one starting the thread. This women at the Connections party walked up to us and another couple...and only introduced herself to the other couple. I wrote it off as nerves...but then when we sat down at the table next to her she actualy turned her chair to face opposite of us. Someone said she was jealous...wanted to be the cute blonde in the group. Funny as just about everyone in the group was way cuter than that nasty women. Guess she didn't realize mean girl high school days were well over many years ago. My husband and I still shake our head when we remember that connections party.

Same thing happened to us. First, she tried to take over an existing roll call and made sure everyone knew she was usually the one starting the thread. This women at the Connections party walked up to us and another couple...and only introduced herself to the other couple. I wrote it off as nerves...but then when we sat down at the table next to her she actualy turned her chair to face opposite of us. Someone said she was jealous...wanted to be the cute blonde in the group. Funny as just about everyone in the group was way cuter than that nasty women. Guess she didn't realize mean girl high school days were well over many years ago. My husband and I still shake our head when we remember that connections party.

Sounds like the same woman except this one was so huge, no one would ever consider her, even she herself, cute ;)

I prefer to avoid confrontation wherever possible, but don't push me or I'll go "Jersey-Girl" on you and I'm very, very good at that. :D

Sounds like the same woman except this one was so huge, no one would ever consider her, even she herself, cute ;)

I prefer to avoid confrontation wherever possible, but don't push me or I'll go "Jersey-Girl" on you and I'm very, very good at that. :D

OMG! LOL! (even herself) Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!! I'm taking you with me on my next cruise!

In hindsight, I really should have interupted HER and introduced myself (all sugary sweet)...that probably would have really pi$$ed her off. :D

Edited by 20pluscruises

Is there a way to find out from you who this person was? Probably shouldn't post public ally here. How can we email? You've got me paranoid now.

Has anyone else had nasty people ruin a cruise?

- Joel

Is there a way to find out from you who this person was? Probably shouldn't post public ally here. How can we email? You've got me paranoid now.

- Joel

Joel,

She did not ruin my cruise. It would take a lot more than one disagreeable person to do that. I've had quite a lot of adversity in my life (two-time cancer survivor, buried a 21 year-old child killed in an auto accident, nasty divorce, struggled to raise and educate 3 children), yet I consider myself a happy person and would much rather be enjoying myself than wasting a precious part of my life brooding on the behavior of one other person.

I would never give you her name. That woman who was so horrid to me, might be very cordial to you.

Joel, go on your cruise with a positive attitude. The ship is large enough and populated enough that the behavior of one person shouldn't matter.

There were many, many passengers that we didn't meet from our Roll Call, mainly I think because we were on different dinner sittings.

To be truthful, we meet them at the Meet & Greet, then we maybe run into them again on the ship. The ones from our roll calls that we spend any time with are those whom we've done private excursions with.

Edited by Kellie Poodle

To be truthful, we meet them at the Meet & Greet, then we maybe run into them again on the ship. The ones from our roll calls that we spend any time with are those whom we've done private excursions with.

I totally agree with you; the passengers met from private excursions are the best, and so much fun! :)

Always remember that if someone is rude it is because there is something wrong with them and not you. They are not happy, and feel the need to drag anyone down they can if they feel threatened!:eek:

This has been an interesting thread to read!

Most of the roll calls I've been involved with have been very helpful to me. Planning excursions and M&G's, joining others for meals or other social events, sharing info about the ship or ports, and getting excited together as the trip gets closer.

But I've also experienced some of the negatives that have been mentioned: bossy folks who hijack the roll call and need to be the "leader", rude folks, and those who are know-it-alls. On my first roll call, it was just me and one other person!! So boring.

My last roll call was one of the best ever, but my current one is so slow. Only 121 posts in the past 11 months. We normally book cruises a year or more in advance, but we booked this one just 4 months out. When I got on the roll call, hardly anyone was posting and I didn't hardly even get a "hello." No one is planning excursions or getting to know each other. I'm not planning on posting much more or going to the M&G.

So, guess it's just a roll of the dice as to what type of roll call it is depending on the people who are involved. I think most of them are good and worth trying. :)

Edited by Go-Bucks!

This has been an interesting thread to read!

Most of the roll calls I've been involved with have been very helpful to me. Planning excursions and M&G's, joining others for meals or other social events, sharing info about the ship or ports, and getting excited together as the trip gets closer.

But I've also experienced some of the negatives that have been mentioned: bossy folks who hijack the roll call and need to be the "leader", rude folks, and those who are know-it-alls. On my first roll call, it was just me and one other person!! So boring.

My last roll call was one of the best ever, but my current one is so slow. Only 121 posts in the past 11 months. We normally book cruises a year or more in advance, but we booked this one just 4 months out. When I got on the roll call, hardly anyone was posting and I didn't hardly even get a "hello." No one is planning excursions or getting to know each other. I'm not planning on posting much more or going to the M&G.

So, guess it's just a roll of the dice as to what type of roll call it is depending on the people who are involved. I think most of them are good and worth trying. :)

I went and looked at your Reflection thread and I see what youi're talking about. But, all it takes is a few people to join the thread that are a bit more social and BOOM! it might take off. I start a website every cruise we do. There I post all the major cruise related stuff, like personal info and pictures, private tour descriptions and participants lists, helpful travel links, etc. That frees up the thread for socializing and getting to know who you'll be spending your vacation with, which is really what I feel cruising is all about. Check out my latest site. The link is in my signature.

Shaun

PS: Go-Bucks, that National Title that Ohio State has from 2002 is really the Miami Hurricanes title! :D

Just one last story. I was on a fabulous roll call for a TA this past August. I was the captain of a tour in Dublin for 23 people. When I was diagnosed with cancer in July, I had to turn the tour over to someone else. One day the mail came with an envelope postmarked Ireland. Inside was a card covered in 3D stickers of sll things Irish and signed by everyone on the tour. Thst, my friends, is the best roll call story

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

Joel,

She did not ruin my cruise. It would take a lot more than one disagreeable person to do that. I've had quite a lot of adversity in my life (two-time cancer survivor, buried a 21 year-old child killed in an auto accident, nasty divorce, struggled to raise and educate 3 children), yet I consider myself a happy person and would much rather be enjoying myself than wasting a precious part of my life brooding on the behavior of one other person.

I would never give you her name. That woman who was so horrid to me, might be very cordial to you.

Joel, go on your cruise with a positive attitude. The ship is large enough and populated enough that the behavior of one person shouldn't matter.

Well put. Why are the simplest truest lessons the hardest and most costly to learn?

- Joel

Just one last story. I was on a fabulous roll call for a TA this past August. I was the captain of a tour in Dublin for 23 people. When I was diagnosed with cancer in July, I had to turn the tour over to someone else. One day the mail came with an envelope postmarked Ireland. Inside was a card covered in 3D stickers of sll things Irish and signed by everyone on the tour. Thst, my friends, is the best roll call story

Janet, that's the best story! I like the way everyone reached out to you.

Exactly the point I was making about folks on Cruise Critic.

SDT

Hi Kellie Poodle, I remember the whole situation with that woman and found it deplorable. Just keep remembering the good that comes from most people.

Hope you are doing well and remaining positive!

Some people just can't stand it when others have fun with something that they don't, or have more fun with it than they do.

I also can't believe people would cancel a cruise, or book a cruise, just because of the roll call.

Wow.

The roll calls serve two or three purposes: Let people meet others in advance, let them plan blind dates (or should I say excursions) with people they don't know yet and also let them have fun anticipating their upcoming cruise.

I agree with most of your post (even the parts I left off the quote!).

Have been a part of several roll calls & most were good. Sometimes the least active ones were the most friendly in person, once you got to the meet & greet.

I joined one roll call where the was bad blood between 2 participants who had cruised together before - and had some sort of terrible blow up followed by a split into 2 sides of the people involved in that prior roll call. Wow. It was crazy & awkward for those in the current roll call who knew nothing about the incident save for what we were told. I cancelled the cruise later, not due to the infighting but for work reasons - but it was with relief & not the expected sadness over having to cancel an anticipated cruise.

- Joel

Just that Shill guy, he broke in line in front on me in the buffet, beat me up and stole my drink package card. Watch out for him. ;)

What a great story!!! Nothing like a little luck of the Irish!