Roll Calls...the Good, Bad and the Ugly

Smiles3usa

:eek: OMG. There...there...there! These kind of mistakes drive me NUTS...even more than cats with sciatica! Since no one else is allowed to point out my mistake, I thought I'd fall on the sword.

Andrew

ROTFLMAO, Andrew! :p I seem to always catch my typos about ten seconds after the "edit post" clock has expired. Thank goodness, none of my high school English teachers are here to see them. :eek: ;)

Hank, I hope you know you are speaking for yourself (and some others) but there are those of us who do care about fellow passenger's cats, dogs, hamsters, (maybe not so much rats), mother-in-laws, illnesses, adventures in packing, etc. To each his own, but for some of us, that caring is just part of friendly behavior. For others it is intrusive. Along that line, long e-mails bug some people, others relish them. It's an interesting old world, innit?

Beth

I think every roll call should have a Beth Appel, she is wonderful, what she did for our roll call was nothing short of genius. (I love you beth) :)

We had an enjoyable day watching our son play soccer today and the Detroit Lions won. Our condolences to Washington ******** fans as they are now 0-3. Our daughter's Boxers are exhibiting strange white spots that the vet has no clue about. The weather here is cool but someone from Minnesota, (sorry about the Vikings) and Wisconsin (sorry about the Packers) posted that we can expect frost in the next few days. And did you hear about Sue Denning's son? It was reported by someone that he was on one or other talent show? And now back to the OP's the Good, the Bad, the Ugly. Oh did I mention that I bought new Tux shoes for my upcoming voyage?

Did I include enough smilies? :confused: ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

We all find a Rollcall that includes enough like-minded individuals that will post what we like and ignore the ones that are , well, just over the top...

"Get a life?" "Knock it off?"

Wow. Just wow.

I'm sorry if those who haven't been to a port or on a ship before depend on roll calls solely for information. I have been in many cruises, have been to most European ports, and don't do many organized excursions, ship or roll-call organized. So I should only be on a roll call as a resource for others? I should just keep quiet because I don't want slot pulls or cabin crawls? I shouldn't complain about the endless solicitation for cruise tours in which I have no interest? The endless lists of who's going in which van, and how great Gino the driver was/is/will be?

What arrogance this displays to assume anyone has the right to tell me what I should find valuable.

The "chatter" is how we get to know people ahead of time. The "chatter" is how we see if there might be common interests, and the potential to share a meal or drinks together. The "chatter" also gives me an indication of who I might avoid, so while not always pleasant, it's useful to me.

If I am going to give information to others to help their cruise be better, the least they can do is allow me to get something out of the exchange as well.

If I "allow" the conversations that have little interest to me, please allow those that hold little interest for you.

Maybe instead of separate threads for tours versus chatter, every poster should self identify as "social" or "antisocial!" :D

(Sorry, but a few posts pushed my buttons. My back is acting up again, and I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I'm cranky....oh, but wait, you don't allow chatter here!;) )

The most useful thing about my current rollcall was finding out that there's a small child who will miss trick or treating, so we'll get some treats for her right before the cruise. This will make my trip far more enjoyable than touring with some group who treats their vacation like a checklist of must-sees, and takes no time to savor the small unique experiences in a new or different culture.

So sayeth Blazer boy!:cool:

(There. I feel better.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Right on Blazerboy! If roll call posters must only discuss things relative to the cruise, how do you know if you are talking to 30 somethings or 70 somethings? Then when you meet face to face you may not have many interests in common. I am another who doesn't mind the chit chat as it helps you to learn other peoples' interests while you get to know them and share the private excursions arranged on the roll call.

There is a very good port section that can be used for info if that is all you want from a roll call.

I do agree that there can be people who can spoil the whole roll call.

BTW, have you tried one of those inversion beds for your back? Mine works well when I use it! Oops, sorry, this is off topic, but then this is not a roll call..............

We had an enjoyable day watching our son play soccer today and the Detroit Lions won. Our condolences to Washington ******** fans as they are now 0-3. Our daughter's Boxers are exhibiting strange white spots that the vet has no clue about. The weather here is cool but someone from Minnesota, (sorry about the Vikings) and Wisconsin (sorry about the Packers) posted that we can expect frost in the next few days. And did you hear about Sue Denning's son? It was reported by someone that he was on one or other talent show? And now back to the OP's the Good, the Bad, the Ugly. Oh did I mention that I bought new Tux shoes for my upcoming voyage?

Hahahahaaa.... PRICELESS! I would continue on, but the crushing last-second loss by the Chargers has left me too bereft to type..... :(:(

Did I include enough smilies? :confused: ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

We all find a Rollcall that includes enough like-minded individuals that will post what we like and ignore the ones that are , well, just over the top...

Sorry about the Vikings? What about the Twins??? They're losing their race to the bottom.

We will expect you to do a show and tell with your new tux shoes in February. :D

Sorry about the Vikings? What about the Twins??? They're losing their race to the bottom.

We will expect you to do a show and tell with your new tux shoes in February. :D

It was our pleasure to have the blue Jays beat the Twins in Sept. We have nothing else to brag about this baseball year ;)

And our congrats to Manchester City cleaning United's clock today..

On the other hand I understand kettles will not be available on our Connie cruise...

We had an enjoyable day watching Tux shoe, just over the top...

Oops, what happens when editing quotes . . . And where is your sig?

"Get a life?"

I prefer King James' (not the Cavs/Heat guy) saith . . .

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Blue Board

I prefer King James' (not the Cavs/Heat guy) saith . . .

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Blue Board

I love serious but non-confrontational threads and I used to have a Vic 20 and an Atari 400 once I got over my PET when our PM had the same initials...

Did I include enough smilies? :confused:

Once again :D:D.

Oh and my team that backed into two wins in the last two week ligitmately won today.;)

Edited by Oville

This is exactly what my roll call sounds like ... weather, trivia, how are you, etc. I'd really like to know things about the ports we'll be visiting, possible excursions. The roll call is almost ALL chatter, too much to drill down thru. I had a great roll call for our Eastern Med trip, hooked up with some great people for excursions. We "got to know them" more from emails than the roll call. Doubt I'll be checking it until closer to our April cruise, by then maybe there will be something of value.

This is exactly what my roll call sounds like ... weather, trivia, how are you, etc. I'd really like to know things about the ports we'll be visiting, possible excursions. The roll call is almost ALL chatter, too much to drill down thru. I had a great roll call for our Eastern Med trip, hooked up with some great people for excursions. We "got to know them" more from emails than the roll call. Doubt I'll be checking it until closer to our April cruise, by then maybe there will be something of value.

Did you post on your April cruise roll call? If not perhaps you can change the conversation to cruise related topics.

Some of the response here have been tongue in cheek, I hope you realize that.

Enjoy your April cruise, but if you haven't posted on the roll call I would recommend you do so, I'd be very surprised if others aren't interested in port activities.

Edited by Oville

Horrors! Friendly folks chatting with one another on the internet. There oughta be a law.

And, conversely, I could care less about your plans ashore. But I am happy to let you chat about them, if you allow me to chat with others on the trip about the hometown we share, or the connection to a college, or our love of Welsh Corgis and Volvos (for example...;) ).

The point is that the roll calls have several functions, even according to the hosts here, and some folks want to dictate that these roll calls don't serve any needs other than their own.

For the record, I probably don't care about Floppsy the cat or the sciatica of the neighbor's cousin's hairdresser, but I wouldn't presume to say that others shouldn't post on a roll call about it.

And, before you pay $129.00 for 8 hours in a van with 3 other couples, wouldn't you like to know before you commit that a person might yammer on about said cat?:eek:

Hank, we probably aren't actually that far apart on this, but would both agree that their needs to be some balance!:)

Andrew

I can't agree more with you I like to know who I am cruising with and I have to say I have made many lifelong friends from this forum. I usually don't want to share a tour with someone I really don't know well just to save a few bucks but I don't put anyone down for talking about what they want to do. Some roll calls have been great and many friends have been made from them and some I couldn't tell you one person who I wanted to speak to on the ship. Just love cruising and like people who like what I like. That is why I stop by here often.

Hope you back feels better real soon.

Pat

"Get a life?" "Knock it off?"

Wow. Just wow.

I'm sorry if those who haven't been to a port or on a ship before depend on roll calls solely for information. I have been in many cruises, have been to most European ports, and don't do many organized excursions, ship or roll-call organized. So I should only be on a roll call as a resource for others? I should just keep quiet because I don't want slot pulls or cabin crawls? I shouldn't complain about the endless solicitation for cruise tours in which I have no interest? The endless lists of who's going in which van, and how great Gino the driver was/is/will be?

What arrogance this displays to assume anyone has the right to tell me what I should find valuable.

The "chatter" is how we get to know people ahead of time. The "chatter" is how we see if there might be common interests, and the potential to share a meal or drinks together. The "chatter" also gives me an indication of who I might avoid, so while not always pleasant, it's useful to me.

If I am going to give information to others to help their cruise be better, the least they can do is allow me to get something out of the exchange as well.

If I "allow" the conversations that have little interest to me, please allow those that hold little interest for you.

Maybe instead of separate threads for tours versus chatter, every poster should self identify as "social" or "antisocial!" :D

(Sorry, but a few posts pushed my buttons. My back is acting up again, and I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I'm cranky....oh, but wait, you don't allow chatter here!;) )

The most useful thing about my current rollcall was finding out that there's a small child who will miss trick or treating, so we'll get some treats for her right before the cruise. This will make my trip far more enjoyable than touring with some group who treats their vacation like a checklist of must-sees, and takes no time to savor the small unique experiences in a new or different culture.

(There. I feel better.)

Right on, BB. When people start PAYING to participate in a roll call then they can complain about what is in them. I like active roll calls and have made many life long friends in large part due to connections made on the roll call.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

When I'm thinking about a cruise, sometimes I'll check the roll call to see what kind of people I'll be cruising with.

One time I made a decision to do a different sailing because a person I'd met on another cruise and didn't much care for was on that cruise. I probably wouldn't have run into her on the ship, but I didn't want any hassles from her on the roll call. It was a drive-up to Galveston, so it didn't much matter when.

Friends were doing Hawaii around the same time we were and they were going Carnival. I checked that roll call and saw that a whole bunch had booked as a group and all they were talking about was drinking and partying. We decided to go on Celebrity. Had a fabulous time and made lifetime friends.

how many folks in this thread I actually know and I met them all first on a roll call. :);):D:o:eek:

We of a certain group are guilty of too much chat on more than a few occasions. We even take up loading time with flashing pins. Some of us like big long cruise history lists. Sorry.

But the information that some of our group has passed along, the organizing of tours and websites etc. directly related to crusin' (in between weather and grandkids) is just remarkable.

I think I can understand some being overwhelmed by us when we hit a Roll Call but just go along and learn ..or skip us.

It's easy if you've got your settings to view everything. Big flasher = skip. But you might miss a lot.

Friends were doing Hawaii around the same time we were and they were going Carnival. I checked that roll call and saw that a whole bunch had booked as a group and all they were talking about was drinking and partying. We decided to go on Celebrity. Had a fabulous time and made lifetime friends.

Janet, I'm so glad that you didn't take that Carnival ship to Hawaii -- or we wouldn't have met you, on the ALOHACRUISE. Speaking of roll-calls, that was a great one! :D