Midnight buffets

ScottC4746

Having switched from RCCL to HAL I can say the midnight buffets are gone from RCCL and they have switched to butler style passed hors devours. While I never could consume them that late, they were a beautiful display. What does HAL do about them?

On our last HAL cruise there was no late night buffet, but there was a late night dessert event that was a lot of fun. It was around the pool and there was every sugary confection imaginable. BTW, we were long time RCCL customers but made the switch to HAL and find the smaller ships much to our liking!:D

Every night HAL has a late night Lido buffet. It isn't large or lavish but it is usually available at about 10-11 though the time does vary. Be sure to check your daily program as it is always listed there.

The days of the huge, lavish, incredible Midnight Buffets are long gone on most cruise lines. They were fabulous to see but truly, how many of us really could eat very much of it after having had a full dinner? :D

I'm happy we started cruising in the days they were offered and we got to view and photo them. Such lavish displays, so delicious but so wasteful.

HAL also has a Dessert "Extravaganza" most cruises. It is either around the pool or sometimes at the atrium and Pinnacle Bar on ships that have one. It can be quite large and attractive and fun. There are all sorts of desserts and usually even a chocolate fountain. :)

The times of the late night snacks vary from ship to ship and by itinerary.

On some ships it is from 10 -11. On others 10:30 - 11:30. And some it is from 11 till midnight.

They are no longer as big as they used to be. But they are certainly big enough to fill anyone up. On our most recent Westerdam cruise it was from 10:30 - 11:30.

Sometimes they even have themes -- Mexican, Italian, Dutch, etc.

The times of the late night snacks vary from ship to ship and by itinerary.

On some ships it is from 10 -11. On others 10:30 - 11:30. And some it is from 11 till midnight.

They are no longer as big as they used to be. But they are certainly big enough to fill anyone up. On our most recent Westerdam cruise it was from 10:30 - 11:30.

Sometimes they even have themes -- Mexican, Italian, Dutch, etc.

On our recent Ryndam cruise, I noticed Pea Soup on the menu for Dutch Night. Too bad I can't keep awake until then!

Yonnie, we do the same thing. If they are offering something we are really interested in we set the alarm and get back up for it.

It has been quite some time since the Chocolate Extravaganza was worth getting up for. Everything looks beautiful and has no flavor what so ever.

Yonnie, we do the same thing. If they are offering something we are really interested in we set the alarm and get back up for it.

It has been quite some time since the Chocolate Extravaganza was worth getting up for. Everything looks beautiful and has no flavor what so ever.

It has to be more than ten years since DH and I went to a Chocolate (Dessert) Extravaganza. We may have gone three or four times total out of all our cruises. :)

Same thing for late night buffet. We always have Traditional 8 P.M. dinner and have no interest in a late night buffet after having just finished dinner.

I only got to experience the midnight buffet on a much less upscale line, as in those days we were Carnival cruisers - but they were lovely.

I enjoy the Chocolate / Dessert Extravaganza as well, since it is only one night of indulgence. They do seem to go all out, and the desserts are a work of art.

The late night Lido buffet seems to generally start at near 10:30- 11pm and is themed: Asian, Mexican, German. It is not huge or lavish but we enjoy getting a snack and taking it back to our cabin for late night movie time. We have been on cruises that did and did not have a dessert extravaganza. Last one on the Maasdam was fantastic as was their Local flavor events. Poutine bar as we were sailing to Quebec. Fresh seafood buffet in the Maritimes.

On our 20 day Westerdam cruise in March/April -- the Dessert Extravaganza was held in the afternoon during Tea Time in the Atrium.

It was wonderful and packed on all 3 deck levels.

We found the late night buffet to be just great on the NA this past January. My DH discovered it after we noticed the posted menus were switched after lunch to add on the dinner, then late night option. The next day he was raving about the interesting menu so I stayed up and joined him and did have some really nice treats. Pretty amazing to put on a fresh new plan - Princess usually has glorified leftovers in the late evening buffet offerings.

Truer words were never spoken. That's what we've been thinking too. All display, no taste.

On Eurodam in March we saw the late buffet to be busier than we've EVER experienced on HAL. Usually we're 2 of about 10-20 people up there (including the performers from the show) but there were at least 100 people each night and it just kept going...that entire area of the Lido would be filled. There were huge lines. We talked to the Lido manager and he said that he didn't know what it was but he had never seen it like this before either. He told us they had to bring additional staff up to handle it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

On Eurodam in March we saw the late buffet to be busier than we've EVER experienced on HAL. Usually we're 2 of about 10-20 people up there (including the performers from the show) but there were at least 100 people each night and it just kept going...that entire area of the Lido would be filled. There were huge lines. We talked to the Lido manager and he said that he didn't know what it was but he had never seen it like this before either. He told us they had to bring additional staff up to handle it.

I wonder if perhaps there weren't some groups that gathered for the buffet? Maybe there was a group or two and their evening entertainment ended or they wanted to keep the fun going later. :)

I only got to experience the midnight buffet on a much less upscale line, as in those days we were Carnival cruisers - but they were lovely.

I enjoy the Chocolate / Dessert Extravaganza as well, since it is only one night of indulgence. They do seem to go all out, and the desserts are a work of art.

They don't do the Dessert Extravaganza anymore, as of quite recently.

I wonder if perhaps there weren't some groups that gathered for the buffet? Maybe there was a group or two and their evening entertainment ended or they wanted to keep the fun going later. :)

We thought maybe it also had to do with the Memphis Blues shows. They really kept the people up later...at least it seemed that way.

I usually hit the late night buffet as I am not one to pass up food.:D

After going most nights on my last two cruises, it becomes apparent the buffet is not meant for passengers but more for the performers, who probably ate very early before the two shows, and officers and staff who are working the night shift. Other than those people, who can number 15 or 20, there are not many passengers. However, it looks good on the daily schedule and the menus posted during dinner look yummy but, as most pax don't attend, they remain under the misimpression that there was a big buffet with a grand time had by all. ;)

They don't do the Dessert Extravaganza anymore, as of quite recently.

Well poo then. :( Glad we got one more in back in June on the Maasdam. Was the best Dessert/Chocolate Extravaganza we have had on HAL too. Around the pool... chocolate fountains and stuff on skewers to dip in it, candied and chocolate apples, cakes, ice creams, tarts, the decor was so pretty, and it seemed like everyone on the ship was there. Very fun. In fact the onboard stuff like that on this last Maasdam trip was really well done.

Well poo then. :( Glad we got one more in back in June on the Maasdam. Was the best Dessert/Chocolate Extravaganza we have had on HAL too. Around the pool... chocolate fountains and stuff on skewers to dip in it, candied and chocolate apples, cakes, ice creams, tarts, the decor was so pretty, and it seemed like everyone on the ship was there. Very fun. In fact the onboard stuff like that on this last Maasdam trip was really well done.

Yes, I remember those fondly, and have a zillion photos! But I avoided eating anything except some strawberries, and I imagine the waste must have been huge.

Archived