Stupid passport ?? applying online, what to put for Caribbean?

Kristinemomof3

The only time you have to apply in person is with the first time passport, or if you let your old one expire by a certain deadline....

check.gif Was issued within the last 15 years

which means it can be expired for 5 years(or more for a child passport)

We did our original Passport application by mail decades ago and have done every renewal by mail. Never a problem. Print out the form at U.S. Department of State website and follow the directions.

that is really strange as I remember that a personal appearance for an initial passport has always been required.

even a rush service makes you go with them to an acceptance office for an initial passport

http://www.rushpassport.com/New-Passport.php

I am wanting to fill out the application online and it wants to know what country we are visiting. We're going to the Caribbean, do I leave it blank? Dh is arguing with me because the Caribbean is not a country, I know that, I was just going to put it anyway.

What to do?

Just leave it blank. It's not a required piece of information.

Or put in just one of the countries.

The question is a pointless result of unthinking governmental beaurocracy -- even if you had been planning to visit one particular country at the time you applied for a passport, there is nothing to prevent you from changing your plans; and in any case as a citizen you should be able to get a passport simply because you feel you might need it in the future.

However - because it is a genuinely stupid and immaterial question, it might be a good idea to realize that your answer (or lack of answer) to it may be noted by the same sort of stupid government clerk who thought it was a good idea to ask the question in the first place. Put down the name of a country, not a region (such as "Caribbean") so you will not run the risk of someone whose salary you are paying deciding that the application needs to be set aside until someone higher up decides to precess it, or perhaps send it back to you so you can complete it.

No, it can't be more because it was a child's passport as you overlooked this requirement:

Was issued when you were age 16 or older

Passports issued for persons ages 16 and older are adult passports valid for 10 years.

Actually, as I found out a few months ago, children's passports cannot be renewed. When they expire (even if they haven't yet expired) you have to reapply as if it were a brand new passport. It must be done in person with both parents/guardians present. They are only good for 5 years as children change in appearance so quickly.

Through the State Dept website you can fill the form out on-line asd then print it out to take to the post office or where ever you are filing just makes for a neater form. This is what I did as my writing is terrible. There is a spot asking for travel plans I don't think you need to fill it out you can always just enter N/A if you dont want to leave it blank. I just filled for a new passport in Aug and with regular service got it back in 3 weeks. Good Luck

We just renewed our passports this month the same way (fill out online, print, sign and sent it in with a check and picture). We didn't fill in travel information, didn't pay for expediting and received the passport in 18 days, including the 7 days it took our package to get to Philly (gotta love 2-3 day priority mail).

We just renewed our passports this month the same way (fill out online, print, sign and sent it in with a check and picture). We didn't fill in travel information, didn't pay for expediting and received the passport in 18 days, including the 7 days it took our package to get to Philly (gotta love 2-3 day priority mail).

I did my renewal by mail as well-- got it today- exactly two weeks ago I mailed it out. Didn't pay for expedited, either. I am happy to see they are processing them at a decent speed :).

that is really strange as I remember that a personal appearance for an initial passport has always been required.

even a rush service makes you go with them to an acceptance office for an initial passport

DW confirms that a personal appearance was required 42 years ago.

We NEVER made a personal appearance anywhere for our passports. We have always done it by mail.

We've had many renewals of passports and our initial one may have been before some new rule went into effect? I have no idea what you reference as it never was required of us.

Actually, as I found out a few months ago, children's passports cannot be renewed. When they expire (even if they haven't yet expired) you have to reapply as if it were a brand new passport. It must be done in person with both parents/guardians present. They are only good for 5 years as children change in appearance so quickly.

Actually, according to the State Department's website, you can renew a children's passport.

Applying and renewing your children’s passports is simple but there are some things you need to be aware of before you begin the process.

But you do have to apply in person with your child and both parents/guardians.

Actually' date=' according to the State Department's website, you can renew a children's passport.

[b']Applying and renewing your children’s passports is simple but there are some things you need to be aware of before you begin the process. [/b]

But you do have to apply in person with your child and both parents/guardians.

The process for "renewing" a child's passport is essentially no different than the process for a first time application...not only do you have to appear in person, you also have to use the same form that is used for new applicants, not the form that is used for renewals.

For that reason for the State Department to call the process a "renewal", when in fact it's nothing like an adult renewal, and exactly like a new application, just flies in the face of common sense.

We NEVER made a personal appearance anywhere for our passports. We have always done it by mail.

We've had many renewals of passports and our initial one may have been before some new rule went into effect? I have no idea what you reference as it never was required of us.

it really doesn't matter. To get an initial passport now a personal appearance is required. Even if you use a passport expediter you still will have to go to an acceptance office to get it accepted. renewals are a different story.

When this was put into effect seems like a long time ago but it doesn't mean that you did so. I don't know.

The process for "renewing" a child's passport is essentially no different than the process for a first time application...not only do you have to appear in person, you also have to use the same form that is used for new applicants, not the form that is used for renewals.

For that reason for the State Department to call the process a "renewal", when in fact it's nothing like an adult renewal, and exactly like a new application, just flies in the face of common sense.

Correct. It might be called a renewal, and you have to turn I the old one, but in every other way it is exactly like applying for a new one. We had to do it this past spring. Trying to find a day when the post office was processing passports and no one had school, work, or sports was a pain in the tushy! We had to go out about six weeks as well!

I am wanting to fill out the application online and it wants to know what country we are visiting. We're going to the Caribbean, do I leave it blank? Dh is arguing with me because the Caribbean is not a country, I know that, I was just going to put it anyway.

What to do?

Don't use an expedited service for your passport unless you are less than 30 days out. I renewed mine via mail in March. You cannot apply or renew online. But you can fill out the PDF document and print. If its a renewal then you just mail it, if this is a first issuance of your passport then you need to make an appearance with your documents of citizenship at an acceptance center. The Post Office is usually the most convenient.

It doesn't matter if you note which country you are visiting. This isn't a one time passport. They ask to see if you are visiting a country that requires a visa in addition to a passport. If you are visiting a country requiring a visa, they sometimes send you info on obtaining a visa with your passport. However, it is not a required question to answer and will not speed up or slow down your processing time if you choose not to answer.

The longest it has ever taken me or a family member to get a passport was 30 days. I do know people that waited 6 weeks in 2002. Lately, it appears the average turn around time is 2-3 weeks. I received my renewal in 15 days; my children received there initial passport in April after 21 days.:cool:

At the time I initially got my passport, it was required you go in person and I did.

When I 'renewed', I did not have easy access to my old passport due to a divorce. I think I read on the website if your name had changed you were supposed to get a renewal anyways. My ex had my old one in his safety deposit box and gave me a hard time about the effort required to go get it from there.

I do recall I would have had to get a new one anyways, because I was less than six months out from expiration. I said it was lost and I couldn't obtain it on the form to get another. They never questioned me at all about the loss, or I'd have explained. I was rather worried they'd hold off sending my new passport until they asked me about the loss, but I had the new one in less than two weeks.

Eventually several years later the ex went to the box for something else and gave me my old passport after. I just shredded it then as I long since had the new replacement and it was long expired in any case.

Archived