Oasis 3. A 4 & 5 to follow?

Tall-Cruiser

Given the success of both Oasis and Allure it makes sense that they are adding to this class of ships. It will also mean that a lot more ports will have to update their infrastructure to handle the size of these ships.

I am not sure a lot of ports would be able to "accomodate" this monsters. I think that a 3rd Oasis is more than enough, and a 4th and 5th would be unnecesary. Like I said on another post, I LOVED the Oasis, and would sail on it again without hesitating a second. But I am also looking at the nature / pollution / weather impact. Oasis and Allure sail every week, all year round. Its not like they have a waiting list for them to put out 2 more 6000+ passenger floating city. I dont think they would be able to fill them all up. By the time Oasis 3 sails, there will be over 18,000 passengers just in those 3 ships.

I dont see more than the 3rd Oasis happening. I hope not. 3 central parks at sea are more than enough. the 3rd Quantum is enough as well. I just hope they move on and do a new class.

I dont think they would be able to fill them all up

If they have two based in PE, one in PC, one in the Med, and one in the Pacific, I don't think they'll have any problem at all filling them. And they don't need 6000 additional passengers for each, as sometime the Majesty and the Vision class ships will have to be retired. Those passengers have to go somewhere, whether it be to these new ships or to repositioned ships from other classes.

I am not sure a lot of ports would be able to "accomodate" this monsters. I think that a 3rd Oasis is more than enough, and a 4th and 5th would be unnecessary. Like I said on another post, I LOVED the Oasis, and would sail on it again without hesitating a second. But I am also looking at the nature / pollution / weather impact. Oasis and Allure sail every week, all year round. Its not like they have a waiting list for them to put out 2 more 6000+ passenger floating city. I dont think they would be able to fill them all up. By the time Oasis 3 sails, there will be over 18,000 passengers just in those 3 ships.

I dont see more than the 3rd Oasis happening. I hope not. 3 central parks at sea are more than enough. the 3rd Quantum is enough as well. I just hope they move on and do a new class.

I respectfully disagree.

except for the section highlighted in red;)

Edited by The Grumpus

If they have two based in PE, one in PC, one in the Med, and one in the Pacific, I don't think they'll have any problem at all filling them. And they don't need 6000 additional passengers for each, as sometime the Majesty and the Vision class ships will have to be retired. Those passengers have to go somewhere, whether it be to these new ships or to repositioned ships from other classes.

I agree. However Oasis class can hold up to 3 times the capacity of Majesty and the Vision class. Plus 3 times the price. :mad:

I would love RCI to build brand new small ships to replace Majesty and eventually the Vision class.

Oasis is heading across the pond soon for a few cruises to test the market and for a drydock. Think of that as a test drive.

So far the cruises in this "test drive" appear to be all booked. At least the ones from Barcelona. Cuurently all show N/A. It could very well be a good indication as to how well this class ship does in the European cruise market.

Good, HOPEFULLY Port Canaveral will finally get one.

Yes they may get one as they have started the process of building a new terminal. See article from Florida Today and discussed in the thread below.

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20130718/NEWS01/307180030/Port-Canaveral-eyes-site-ships-future?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1882723

I'm positive Mobile, Alabama is getting an Oasis class ship.

(I know, I know, but one can only dream to ever see something like Oasis at his closest port of embarkation. :o)

Oasis Class ships cannot replace Majesty, at least as far as itinerary goes. For example, Oasis Class ships cannot send tender boats into Coco Cay and cannot go into Key West because parts of the channel there are too narrow for ships that size.

That said, I would just love to see more ships in that class. Those ships are amazing.

Edited by Gangway Style

That is not an Oasis class ship it looks like a Freedom class ship. It's definitely not Oasis.1,2,3,4or5.

One picture shows a Freedom Class and another shows an Oasis Class ship. On the Oasis Class you can tell by the double smoke stacks and front facing cabins above the bow area. The front profile of the two classes is different.

I'd not expect a 4 or 5 anytime soon. They require a lot of cash either from the bank account or thru financing which affects the balance sheet. Also, there is the whole issue of what ports would be used for embark/debark and where will the ship sail. Some of those factors take a lot of time to plan out and money to build in addition to the cruise ship itself.

Wish we had one coming to Galveston, brand spanking new and all...but alas it's not likely anytime soon.

Just off the Oasis as my sig shows. 53% US cruisers, 47% foreign including South America, Europe and Asia. I would say that these ships will do great wherever RCI puts them. They have been marketed all over the world.

If the European test sailings are all sold out, that is the true indicator of success. Plus they are very cost efficient to run per Fain.

Indeed, the cruises in europe in 2014 will be a success. I personally believe that if Oasis would be ever homeported in europe, southampton would be a great idea because it gives the opportunity for 14-night cruises. But it seems like Anthem is going to be based out of Southampton. I bet that there will be Oasis 4 but not 5. Freedom class was intoduced in 2006 and Oasis in 2009(Quantum- 2014), so I don't think that we should expect a new class earlier than 2019-2020. Probably i guess it is less time consuming and maybe it costs less to make another Oasis than designing and building a whole new class.

Edited by nickthecruiser

I am not sure a lot of ports would be able to "accomodate" this monsters. I think that a 3rd Oasis is more than enough, and a 4th and 5th would be unnecesary. Like I said on another post, I LOVED the Oasis, and would sail on it again without hesitating a second. But I am also looking at the nature / pollution / weather impact. Oasis and Allure sail every week, all year round. Its not like they have a waiting list for them to put out 2 more 6000+ passenger floating city. I dont think they would be able to fill them all up. By the time Oasis 3 sails, there will be over 18,000 passengers just in those 3 ships.

I don't see more than the 3rd Oasis happening. I hope not. 3 central parks at sea are more than enough. the 3rd Quantum is enough as well. I just hope they move on and do a new class.

Whether passengers are on a ship or at home they still eat, shop, drive. and most likely they pollute, waste food and many other things the ships are known for being very good at not doing. They cannot waste food or they will loose money, They make there own water, They process their own waste and they recycle most everything they can (which in turn saves them money)

We waste tons upon tons of food every year at home. If the ships did that they would go out of business.

I think overall the trend for RCCL is for larger rather than smaller ships. While they may not all be the size of the Oasis, I believe the days of smaller ships are limited. They may need to retain a couple of the smaller ships for the Bahamas market and others, but I think you will see more and more larger ships.

The primary reason is cost. It is less costly to move a ship with 6,000 passengers than two ships with 3,000 passengers each.

And if RCCL is building ships with a lot more passenger capacity, they must either be anticipating increasing market share or retiring some of the smaller ships in the next 5 years.

Other lines, like Holland America I think will still offer smaller ships as that is their market, but their price may be going up as costs become greater.

Edited by awboater