Do the staff know ?

buzzawak

We have oped for the auto-pay your gratuities. Question: Will the staff be aware of the prepaid the gratuities or think we are just cheap skates ?

"Auto-pay" (charged to your account daily) and pre-paid (paid by you or your travel agent before you leave home) are two different things, but I know what you are asking. Yes, the staff knows who has pre-paid their gratuities. They get a list, and I know this because I have seen it on our cabin attendant's cart. :o Not snooping, just passing by.... :)

The wife and I are going on our very first cruse in January 2014.

We have oped for the auto-pay your gratuities. Question: Will the staff be aware of the prepaid the gratuities or think we are just cheap skates ?

Not an issue anymore. The gratuity policy changed last year, and now everyone who does not prepay is automatically charged daily.

However, they don't slack off because they already have the cash, so to speak. The service on our last cruise was impeccable.

I haven't noticed a decline in the quality of service with pre-pay or auto-tips. Your feedback on the end of the cruise survey is very important to them, and they do not want to risk getting anything less than an excellent rating. Their contract renewals, time off, duties, raise and more are affected by how they are rated by you. Even a "very good" rating is considered a negative.

On a recent cruise of ours we were with a fairly large group and a couple requested that they not have auto pay and would pay tips individually at end of cruise. well they received the worst service in the MDR almost every night of the cruise. I am not sure if the wait team knew this and thought they were going to get stiffed but they gave horrible service to this couple.

Sorry, I'm confused. Can we no longer pay cash for tips at the end of the cruise? If it not auto-pay. We don't use credit cards on our cruises, just cash, so maybe someone can clarify for me. Thanks!:o

Sorry, I'm confused. Can we no longer pay cash for tips at the end of the cruise? If it not auto-pay. We don't use credit cards on our cruises, just cash, so maybe someone can clarify for me. Thanks!:o

Yes, you can use cash at the end if you like. You would need to visit Guest Services and request they discontinue the automatic gratuity charge.

Yes, you can use cash at the end if you like. You would need to visit Guest Services and request they discontinue the automatic gratuity charge.

Okay. Yes, I have been reading a little bit more about the tips thing. I would rather pay it by cash at the end anyway. So I will most likely make a trip to

Guest Services when on board. Thanks.

Okay. Yes, I have been reading a little bit more about the tips thing. I would rather pay it by cash at the end anyway. So I will most likely make a trip to

Guest Services when on board. Thanks.

Or, you can leave the autotips in place, and then use cash to pay it off at customer service.

I DID NOT know that! The part about them charging it daily if you do not pre pay, I mean. We have been prepaying lately since we do the MTD, so I was not aware of that. It is kind of sad that they have to do that, but I do fully understand that these people need to be paid. We went for so many years under the "old" system and always gave out the envelopes on that last night, almost always with a little "extra" in them. It was actually something we looked forward to a bit because the folks always seemed so happy. We never realized how many deadbeats there were out there and I suppose it has gotten worse. Anyway, we are glad that these hard working people get their due and we still try to spread a little cash around even with the prepaids. We are not wealthy, but we are fortunate enough to be able to cruise and feel good about sharing what we can with these people who work so hard to make it possible. I am sure there are plenty of CC'ers that do the same!

Archived