Shore Excursions

Nyghtdreamers

I'll be going on my first cruise on the Carnival Pride, Oct 12 2014. I've read a lot of people saying that you should look into booking your own shore excursions as opposed to going through the cruise line. I had a couple questions about that... I've read that some people feel more comfortable booking through the shop because if your late they 'll hold the boat but what about if you miss the port? I've heard the cruise line will return your money, what about if you book outside the cruise line do the companies often do refunds for missed ports? Also does anyone have any must see things for Nassau, Freeport or Port Canaveral?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

Whether or not you get your money back from a non-ship's excursion that you don't make due to the ship missing the port, that is totally up to the agreement you have with the vender.

As to recommendations for things to do, and possible other than ship tours or activities, the place for some research is the Ports boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

would be helpful.

Port Canaveral is also covered on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You should also check with your roll call, where you meet others on your cruise, and can get good tips on what they are doing. Here is Pride"s:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=332

I didn't see one for your cruise, but double check, and start one if there isn't one.

If you miss the ship while on your own, you will not get a refund of your cruise fare and you'll have to pay to get yourself to your next port, or home. BUT, if you miss the ship, you'd better have a passport, because you can't fly home from the Bahamas without one. So, don't miss the ship.

For independent tours, it's all up to what you with the local vendor. Some will refund your tour cost, some will not.

You're basically doing a short cruise to the Bahamas? You can do both those stops easily on your own. Just do some research on the ports to see what you might like to do.

Port Canaveral isn't much of anything, just the port for your embarkation and disembarkation for your cruise, but you can tour the Space Center.

Thanks both for responding, i have made a roll call for that cruise, so far the only other person is my friend sailing with me :). We're sailing out of Baltimore so for us Port Canaveral is a port stop and I've never been.

So let me put it this way... Do the savings from booking your own excursions out weigh the safety of booking through the cruise line?

Only you can decide if going to the trouble to book something on your own is worth it to you. It's quite easy to book through the cruise line.

You are picked up at the ship... taken to have fun ... and returned to the ship with no planning on your part ... and :D you "never miss the boat".

When you just want to go to a beach or someplace, taking a taxi on your own is not a problem. Otherwise, through the ship is so much easier.

Have fun! :)

First....get a guidebook on the ports you'll visit, so you'll know something about where you're going. That's the key! You may find you don't even NEED a guide of any kind to do what interests you!

Don't be afraid to book outside of the ship.....tour guides would go out of business if they made their clients miss the ship!

If a port can't be made, they will refund you money....but do check on that prior to booking! Due diligence, and all that!

There's nothing wrong with ship's excursions...they are totally "fool-proof"....but in many cases, you really don't need to pay someone to show you a good time. Research! Get a guidebook!!!!

Thanks both for responding, i have made a roll call for that cruise, so far the only other person is my friend sailing with me :). We're sailing out of Baltimore so for us Port Canaveral is a port stop and I've never been.

So let me put it this way... Do the savings from booking your own excursions out weigh the safety of booking through the cruise line?

You are over a year from your cruise. That is a little early for a roll call.

The question of safety is a personal choice. Some reading on the Ports boards will see MANY people do their own private tours, or simply see the area on their own, without any tour. It is done regularly, and there seems to be VERY VERY few, if any on private tours miss the ship.

I'll be going on my first cruise on the Carnival Pride, Oct 12 2014. I've read a lot of people saying that you should look into booking your own shore excursions as opposed to going through the cruise line. I had a couple questions about that... I've read that some people feel more comfortable booking through the shop because if your late they 'll hold the boat but what about if you miss the port? I've heard the cruise line will return your money, what about if you book outside the cruise line do the companies often do refunds for missed ports? Also does anyone have any must see things for Nassau, Freeport or Port Canaveral?

I sail for the first time in two weeks and have agonized over this question for 6 months and am still undecided. I have researched and researched.

The dolphin excursion Nassau vs Freeport is the first question. Leaning toward Freeport as Nassau appears to have lots of get off the boat bum around for the day whereas Freeport the boat docks away from things.

Dolphin excursion through the boat is $60 per person more expensive. That is a lot of money for the guarantee of being picked up and guaranteed to not miss the boat.

Trying to figure out the logistics of doing Freeport on our own has proved a challenge, how to get to where the ferry goes from, how to ensure that you get back on time. The hardest one however, how to prebook via internet (yes I know I could just call them) the Unexco dolphins. They have an e-commerce section of their site that is determined to only sell me tickets for the day I am looking at their website. I am left with the feeling that they really don't sell online tickets.

Vs

Nassua dolphin excursion appears easier to get to.

A somewhat mitigating factor: older son 11 has Aspergers Syndrome and will worry worry worry about missing the boat. If he finds out that through the boat = holds the boat if something happens then its almost a sure thing I will have to book via the boat.

So here I am on the fence still wondering which port to see the dolphins and whether to book it myself or do it via the boat.

:confused::confused::confused:

any further advice to OP or myself is appreciated.

Archived