Formal Night Attire

Den53

I know this is a tiresome question but here goes... We are going to Hawaii Feb 18th on the Star. We have chosen Anytime dining, so on Formal nights could my husband wear a tie but no jacket? We have a limited amount of space in the luggage.

I know this is a tiresome question but here goes... We are going to Hawaii Feb 18th on the Star. We have chosen Anytime dining, so on Formal nights could my husband wear a tie but no jacket? We have a limited amount of space in the luggage.

Yes, you will see a few others dressed this way. We normally pack a light weight sport jacket. You can avoid formal dress altogether by dining in one of the surcharge restaurants the Crown Grill or Sabatini's on formal nights, or dining in the buffet, grill, pizza or room service. For the surcharge restaurants make reservations early on as many choose formal nights to dine there.

Thanks for these comments. We are traveling with a couple and the last 2 cruises they took were on Carnival. The husband only wore a golf shirt on the Formal nights but I think that isn't acceptable on Princess. Just incase we do go to the MDR on Formal night I want to be "acceptable".

Just to clarify the first post (for any newbies): the dress code for the anytime dining room is always the same as for the traditional.

That said, as long as you don't have a head waiter who insists on jackets, you should be all right. On our last cruise, which was the Hawaiian one on the Golden, there was a man at a nearby table who wore a colored dress shirt without jacket (I don't recall him even wearing a tie) on all three formal nights. You'll see a range from that to men in suits (my hubby) to tuxes to military dress to kilts.

And don't forget about alternatives for dining: you can eat in a specialty restaurant (smart casual code every night), at the Horizon Court (the buffet -- you can even wear shorts), or get food from the poolside pizzeria, poolside grill, or the International Cafe (which isn't an enclosed eatery, but is located in the Piazza of the Plaza deck).

We are going to Hawaii Feb 18th on the Star. ...We have a limited amount of space in the luggage.

While a jacket or blazer is not necessary, if he would feel slightly out of place without one but packing space is a problem, then all he needs to do is wear the blazer instead of packing it. I do this all the time, and not just for vacations. Presumably, you are flying to CA from OH in February. It will be cold. So have him toss on a blue blazer for the trip, and have the airline hang it for him when he boards the plane. Or fold it neatly and place it on the top of the overhead bin. When it is time to board the ship, put the blazer on again. The beauty of a blue blazer is that it goes with everything, so wearing it as an outer garment is a great way to travel with one without ever having to pack it.

As has been said many times and that is a long sleeve shirt with a tie is acceptable. Anything else is a personal choice and is up to how much you can get packed into your allowable luggage without incurring higher fees from the airlines. Only you can determine how much or how little you want to bring. Have a great cruise. Do not let the fashion police dictate your choice.

As has been said many times and that is a long sleeve shirt with a tie is acceptable. Anything else is a personal choice and is up to how much you can get packed into your allowable luggage without incurring higher fees from the airlines. Only you can determine how much or how little you want to bring. Have a great cruise. Do not let the fashion police dictate your choice.

I do not think just a shirt and tie is acceptable on formal nights. I have seen the maître d exclude men because of this. Also for those people who advocate wearing a dark suit rather than a tuxedo because they have to worry about the weight. Can someone please explain to me how a tux weighs more that a conventional suit?

We have a limited amount of space in the luggage.

If this is the issue, the simplest solution is to order the formal wear from the cruise line. It just shows up in your cabin...

With our dive gear and everything else it is handy

We've done this 2/3 of the time in the Caribbean.

Cost of formal wear rental $

Cost of diving $$

Cost of airfare $$$

Cost of cruise $$$$

Putting a huge smile on DW's face ... PRICELESS!

2234661705_7008e3994c_n.jpg

ADI_1329 by MauiLvrs, on Flickr

(we had to carry the coral and blue ties and cumberbun)

The formal package we ordered included both the black tux and the white dinner jacket.

2234669091_32564da888_m.jpg

DSC_0363 by dntanderson, on Flickr

When we fly I pack one carry on case with a kilt, jacket, waistcoat, sporran, shoes, socks etc. along with one formal dress, shoes and bag so at least if I lose some luggage we will have something to wear on formal nights. In the other piece of hand luggage I have a change of clothes and nightclothes and small toiletries.

If you pack carefully it can be done.

Almost completely agree. Exception is that a tie is not required and long trousers are (although I suppose a kilt is OK too).

There are a lot of police out today.

I do not think just a shirt and tie is acceptable on formal nights. I have seen the maître d exclude men because of this. Also for those people who advocate wearing a dark suit rather than a tuxedo because they have to worry about the weight. Can someone please explain to me how a tux weighs more that a conventional suit?
Actually a tux typically weighs less, as I've noted mine is made from a lighter material.

I have also packed a suit/tux in my carryon by nicely folding the coat and pants in a plastic bag such as we get from the cleaners. One does not need a larger bag.

I guess the assumption here is that many people don't want to pay for a checked bag. Considering the cost of the cruise and especially the cost of airfare it really doesn't seem to be a big thing.

I never wear a suit and have never been refused admittance to the MDR on a formal night. On ehat Princess ship and when did you see people be excluded? Would be nice to know.

Been on 3 cruises with Princess. Never once brought a suit and have never been turned down in the dining room. This past cruise I decided not to wear a tie, just black pants and a nice long sleeve shirt. You wear what you want and I'll do the same and everyone is happy.

Again which ship and when did this happen?

I have seen this happen twice. Once on the Sapphire on a 7 day Mexican Cruise four years ago and on the Ocean Princess a year before that. But I have also seen the head waiter and Maitre D' let it pass as well with just a shirt and tie. It seems to be up to the ship.