4Day Cruise Golden Princess Blog 9/26-9/30

trbarton

This is my blog of my 4 day cruise on the Golden going to Catalina Island, and Ensenada plus one sea day.

Rather than using the Princess Transfer from LAX I decided to use a private company, Lotus Transportation which was a big mistake. We wound up waiting at least 1 hr. for a driver because the dispatcher did not replay the proper information as to how to find us which meant us getting to the ship at around 2:15 pm just enough time to get a snack before the muster drill. So much for trying to save money.

Was supposed to meet other cruise critic people on the aft of the ship but only one couple showed up even tho I had a Cruise Critic sign on the table. Second time I tried a sale away party without hardly any body there.

Got my dinner reservations changed to traditional dining. Sat at a table with 4 other people, all from the same family. Good meal.

FYI...The layout of the Golden is similar to the Grand that I have been on.

Went to the Princess theatre to see the Comedian Sarge, which was good, especially for late people that chose to sit in the front row.

Tried out Skywalkers which was fun, something the Grand does not have.

The ship traveling to Catalina was rocking so you had to hold on to your drink to avoid it following over.

Looking forward to Catalina tomorrow and will try and post if I can.

Tom

We'll be doing the same 4 day in October. We were told we have no formal night. Do you have a formal night?

We've had roll calls that were very active and then only have a few people show up at the M&G.

FYI - We're having high winds in the LA area today.

This is my blog of my 4 day cruise on the Golden going to Catalina Island, and Ensenada plus one sea day.

Tom

TOM, IF YOU HAVE TIME, COULD YOU LIST COPIES OF THE PLATTERS?

MAINLY INTERESTED IN HE DINING MENUES.

lAST BUT NOT LEAST QUESTION....

lAT QUESTION, WHAT TIME WERE THE HANDICAP FOLKS ALLOWED TO BOARD?

getting OFF AS YOU DEBARK...lol :confused:

I just got off the ship, but there were many who were continuing on with your voyage. Surprised that you only had one other couple at Sail Away. We had about 20 people meet at various times on the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to LA. They had mentioned that there was someone who was going to have a CC sign...Mystery solved.

There is one formal night on the 4 day cruise.

I just got off the ship, but there were many who were continuing on with your voyage. Surprised that you only had one other couple at Sail Away. We had about 20 people meet at various times on the repositioning cruise from Vancouver to LA. They had mentioned that there was someone who was going to have a CC sign...Mystery solved.

There is one formal night on the 4 day cruise.

It says on our itinerary (10/14) under the cruise personalizer that "there are 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights".

It says on our itinerary (10/14) under the cruise personalizer that "there are 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights".

I have no actual experience with this and may be incorrect in posting such. But...my neighbor on the last cruise (with you now), was telling me that she mismatched her outfits and therefore did not have something to wear on formal night for this 4 day cruise.

Thank you for the clarification.

I just looked at my presonalizer and don't see any mention of formal nights. Where exactly did you find this info?

Thanks!

Janie

I just looked at my presonalizer and don't see any mention of formal nights. Where exactly did you find this info?

Thanks!

Janie

Go to Booked Passengers. Click on Cruise Personalizer. Click on your cruise. Then click on Itinerary. Look just above the map. On mine, it says "Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights."

Thanks for the blog! We go on the 10th but will go to San Diego rather than Catalina. There has been some discrepancy about whether or not there is a formal night..maybe you can clarify...

have a great time!

Michelle:)

We are on the 10/27/13 4 day and one person from our roll call called Princess and asked about the Formal night. They were told all the 3 & 4 night cruises will not have a formal night and that the website is being updated to show "0" formal nights.

Go to Booked Passengers. Click on Cruise Personalizer. Click on your cruise. Then click on Itinerary. Look just above the map. On mine, it says "Your itinerary includes 0 formal nights and 4 smart casual nights."

I think you should post this info on a new thread with a title that will let people know the short cruises no longer have a formal night, yippie!

We will be on the same cruise!

Generally there are varying degrees of "formal". I tend to dress up for the formal evening but avoid the head to toe sequins. It is personal preference.

I plan on dressing up because it is Thanksgiving :)

Thanks! I guess my dh is off the hook for getting his suit cleaned right now!

We are on the 10/27/13 4 day and one person from our roll call called Princess and asked about the Formal night. They were told all the 3 & 4 night cruises will not have a formal night and that the website is being updated to show "0" formal nights.

We are on the Nov. 7th cruise and looking forward to following your blog.

We will also be following this as we are also booked as of today! We are so excited.

Look for us on board, I will be usiing a walker and our dd will be being pushed in a walker by her father. Hope to see you on board.

This info is great and I will be following it closely.

Eileen

Tom, thanks for the blog. You were great asking questions before sailing and I hope the answers helped make a difference.

It was very windy last night and through this morning which is why you probably had choppy seas. It's calmed down so hopefully, the sailing is smoother now.

Sorry to hear Lotus Transportation didn't work out for you. :( Now people know if some asks about them again.

Have a great cruise and I look forward to your observations.

Just checked on a four night cruise on the Ruby from FLL at the end of the year and personalizer still shows one formal night. Could be a matter of Princess still updating all bookings or another ship-to-ship variance.

Rather than using the Princess Transfer from LAX I decided to use a private company, Lotus Transportation which was a big mistake. We wound up waiting at least 1 hr. for a driver because the dispatcher did not replay the proper information as to how to find us which meant us getting to the ship at around 2:15 pm just enough time to get a snack before the muster drill. So much for trying to save money.

Was supposed to meet other cruise critic people on the aft of the ship but only one couple showed up even tho I had a Cruise Critic sign on the table. Second time I tried a sale away party without hardly any body there.

Got my dinner reservations changed to traditional dining. Sat at a table with 4 other people, all from the same family. Good meal.

Went to the Princess theatre to see the Comedian Sarge, which was good, especially for late people that chose to sit in the front row.

Tried out Skywalkers which was fun, something the Grand does not have.

The ship traveling to Catalina was rocking so you had to hold on to your drink to avoid it following over.

Looking forward to Catalina tomorrow and will try and post if I can.

Tom

Tom

great of you to do a blog. I did one - and it does take away from activities on board or ashore. Not to mention your internet mins!!! Thank you.

I am curious about the 4 and 5 day sailings. I have never done one. I see Princess is dropping the formal night. But do you know if they have a most traveled luncheon or cocktail party? Maybe that goes away like the formal night. LOL

Wishing you fair skies and following seas!!

Found it! My 4-day Golden cruise on 10/24 says 0 formal, 4 smart casual! Thanks for the heads up!:D

Janie

Archived