Will Government Shutdown effect cruises?

Poohb

Sailing out of NJ or NY, or any other port; stopping in another country (like Canada) and then returning to the states... Who will be working to check us through customs? Those are federal employees I believe. Maybe we'd have to stay on the ship til the shutdown is over. Or would they keep us in the disembarkation area and not let us leave? BTW, we leave on Saturday (on another line) but posted this here cuz RCI is our fav.

I'd love to be kept onboard the ship while the "government" works out their issues. Sorry, I know that's not the answer that you had hoped for....:(

Well actually, that's what I was hoping for. LOL

Actually, from what I read, passport service will not be disrupted since it is funded by the passport fees. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I read in one place no passports and others that they will be open as long as they are not in govt buildings.

I read in one place no passports and others that they will be open as long as they are not in govt buildings.

Well, kind of. Consular work will happen for passports and visas -- if you're coming from Brazil for a cruise out of FLL and need a visa, you can still get that. But passport applications/renewals from inside the country that aren't already there won't get opened and dealt with. (The Guidance that the State Dept posted makes it sound like any that they already have received, they'll process. See section II, about "at-post Passport work")

If the govt shuts down, Acadia National Park will probably close and I will have to figure out something else to do in Bar Harbor in 2 weeks :(

Unfortunately, I'll be in Bar Harbor on Sunday. I wonder how likely it is that the shutdown will be over quickly.

The National Parks will be closed, so it will affect those who want to visit the Everglades National Park before or after their cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

And those cruise that have shore excursions to US territories like Hawaii, it will likely get affected.

One blessing is Alaska is off season now, if not this route is likely will be the most affected. Especially for ships entering Glacier Bay National Park. Everyone in the cruise will be affected by IT change.

And those cruise that have shore excursions to US territories like Hawaii, it will likely get affected.

Hawaii is a State, as is Alaska, and not a Territory. Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands are Territories.

Sailing out of NJ or NY, or any other port; stopping in another country (like Canada) and then returning to the states... Who will be working to check us through customs? Those are federal employees I believe. Maybe we'd have to stay on the ship til the shutdown is over. Or would they keep us in the disembarkation area and not let us leave? BTW, we leave on Saturday (on another line) but posted this here cuz RCI is our fav.

ICE employees are essential personnel. they will continue to operate although they may have a few less people doing the processing at each terminal.

Actually, from what I read, passport service will not be disrupted since it is funded by the passport fees. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

In the Clinton shutdown, a number of self-supporting services were shut down anyway. It's about getting the public's attention, not what is actually funding what.

Archived