What is the story (if any) behind your "handle"

popcan

I was lucky to be able to retire from my “real job” at 53 and then work as a yacht captain. It seem inevitable whenever we needed to reposition the boat to meet the owner in another port the seas would inevitably be rough. As we would get ready I would always tell the crew Big Sea Today. Somehow that was shortened to BigSea2. The crew started to call me BigSea2. Also it might be my name is Charles and I am not a little guy. On boats it is amazing how names for everyday items and activities get shortened by crews; sometimes it seems only for the purpose on confusing the passengers. ;)

My Dad raised me to read science fiction and fantasy books, which he loved, and still loves.

Being utterly hooked, I wanted to connect with others who shared my interest -

- and fell down the rabbit hole when I attended my first SF&F convention when I was a teen. Fandom has been my hobby, ever since.

"Fandom"?

SF&F fans have their own slang, Fanspeak. (Wikipedia has an entry for this). "Secret handshake", to identify yourself to others? "I'm fannish."

I've used the word "fannish" in online handles, and email addresses, for a couple decades now.

But, back in 2006, when I joined? I discovered "fannish" was taken, so made it "fann1sh".

Unlike others here, I figured out who "fannish" is.

ME.

I joined, forgot about it, and joined again.

<head*desk>

Corb is the first four letters of my Italian American last name. I added the "y" for effect and 114 was my last badge number of my thirty one year old municipal police officer career. After five years of retirement I still miss my job. It was a wonderful career.

I wanted something short. POA is the abbreviation for Point of Americas, the condos you sail by as you leave Port Everglades. There's a Point of Americas I, and Point of Americas II. Guess which one we live in?

I just found this and certainly enjoyed it. Cars, pets,hobbies.Navy days, and home towns. I am another one who chose a grandmother name. Mormor means Mother of my Mother in Scandinavia. I am not from there but I liked it, and it was easy for a little one to say. Not that they are so little these days!

As long time cruising liveaboards in Alaska, our little ship was named Princess (after moi, naturally). The handle Princess was taken, Princess1, Princess2, etc. etc., all taken. Our favorite bay is Foggy Bay--it's a great jump-off for Canada when headed south across Dixon Entrance, and it's a fabulous little hidey-hole if you are getting your buns whupped on the high seas coming north into Alaska. (Don't tell the Customs people in Ketchikan, please.)

All of you Alaska cruisers, look to starboard as you enter Alaska northbound, and you will see the best little quiet peaceful bay--Foggy Bay.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is my first name, David, as rendered in Chinese (pinyin). I guess I chose it thinking of our four adopted Chinese children. Two boys and two girls, all adopted when they were 9-14 years old. We brought Keeli, our first, home in 2001. Of course, they're now out on their own and all doing well. Recently, I thought of changing my CC handle, but reading other posts about the wide variety of sources for others' handles, I realized mine must be OK too. Plus, I couldn't find a way to change it.

I enjoy wearing suits and when my father retired some years ago I was given his very impressive suits / jackets. For awhile I was able to style for free or freestyling:). Unfortunately over the past few years the dry cleaners have shrunk the suits :).

Edited by freestyling

I enjoy wearing suits and when my father retired some years ago I was given his very impressive suits / jackets. For awhile I was able to style for free or freestyle :). Unfortunately over the past few years the dry cleaners have shrunk the suits :).

It's not the Dry Cleaners, Sea Air shrinks everything.

Edited by GUT2407

It's not the Dry Cleaners, Sea Air shrinks everything.

Now that explains why my other clothes don't fit as well!! Must only affect Men's clothes as my DW (who may read this) clothes seem to always fit perfectly :)

Edited by freestyling

Now that explains why my other clothes don't fit as well!! Must only affect Men's clothes as my DW (who may read this) clothes seem to always fit perfectly :)

Nah effects Mrs Gut's clothes too. Last cruise was 34 days, she took Formal clothes in 3 sizes, in fact one set had elastic waists.

The worst part is that when you get home the sea air particles jump to the clothes that stay home.

Though evem my work outfit seems to be effected or someone breaks into my office and takes the seams in.

"Wehwalt" is what Siegmund calls himself in Wagner's opera, Die Walkure (The Valkyrie), the second installment of the Ring Cycle. At one time, I was very much into Wagner and Hunding's call at the start of the final scene of Act II of the opera, "Wehwalt! Wehwalt!" was a moment I loved. So I started using it as a username, including on Wikipedia and here.

All of the cool Canadian based names I could think of were already taken (so that tells me there are lots of Canadians here) and since my wife is really into Game of Thrones I decided to name us after one of the characters from the show.

Canadian Cruisers Eh !!!

Edited by Direwolves