Entertainment from MDR Assistant Waiters

specialdiet

I don't know if it's just our luck, but more and more it seems that one of the main jobs of the assistant waiters seems to be gabbing with and entertaining people at the table, playing cutesy little puzzles and games, etc.

Now some of them have the personality and multitasking skills to pull this off, but we've had a few where it was almost painful to watch and listen to. And if you observed them closely you could tell they really didn't want to be doing it either. One fellow we had also wasn't so great at differentiating what is an appropriate topic of conversation vs. what could be very offensive to some people(!)

We've found that sometimes they spend so much time doing this that service suffers. Admittedly, my wife and I tend to notice this more since we both have wonky diets and the assistant waiter is usually the one who gets sent to handle the non-standard requests.

My feeling is they're worked hard enough without adding this stuff on top of it, which to me really doesn't add much to the whole experience. It's neither modern or luxury.

Anyone else notice this? Like or dislike?

We have had very entertaining table staff and they didn't seem to be strainingt o do it. First time on X, we had a waiter who should have been a paid magician. He was excellent. I also think these guys work way too hard and extremely long hours.

Have had several waiters and assistant waiters who did magic tricks, napkin tricks, and others -- usually after late seating, or late into Select Dining when there wouldn't be anyone else at that table that night. Never had one who seemed uncomfortable doing this, and with all good sleight-of-hand performers, the ones who did tricks seemed to be proud of their proficiencies. I would never call this "one of their main jobs" from the ones I have seen.

On our last cruise, we had a really cute assistant and a very hardworking waiter. The assistant spent a LOT of time talking with us about his home in Spain, leaving dished unpicked-up, coffee unpoured etc. We enjoyed talking with him but I was afraid he was going to get yelled at for shirking! But the waiter just danced circles around him, doing all the things the asst was supposed to while he enjoyed himself!

The assistant waiters really need to concentrate on doing their core job. Some venture into being entertaining often in an effort to be recognised on comment cards and gain promotion. I have no issue if they are also serving all the tables they look after well, on the last cruise we used the MDR the problem was the assistant waiter was friendly and one table hogged him - " he is so cute" one lady told us one night as we passed having given up on getting coffee at our table.

The supervisors should be watching for this, there are undoubtedly some talented ones who can entertain and deliver the service but they need to nip it in the bud where service is suffering

Basically, we feel that the dining room is for eating; and, the theater is for entertainment.

To me, a great meal shared with great friends provides a wonderful evening and can be quite entertaining. Guess it depends on whether you eat to live or live to eat. I define "entertainment" as:Something affording pleasure or amusement. How would you define it?

Basically, we feel that the dining room is for eating; and, the theater is for entertainment.

I agree - waiters and assistant waiters should provide good service (and be friendly) so we can enjoy our meals. I don't need a clown next to me while eating a nice dinner.

I agree - waiters and assistant waiters should provide good service (and be friendly) so we can enjoy our meals. I don't need a clown next to me while eating a nice dinner.

There's a darn good spouse, mother-in-law, or other travel companion joke right there for the taking... trying to resist...

The only "clowns" I've seen in any dining venue are people who have used their drink packages to more than the fullest. Had a large group in Blu that had to be shown the door by the Restaurant Manger.

Some venture into being entertaining often in an effort to be recognised on comment cards and gain promotion.

You're probably right as to the motivation behind this, as admittedly, it's not a role that makes it easy to stand out if you don't embellish it.

Through the years we have occasionally had waiters or assistant waiters do some table tricks (balancing forks, etc.), but only after dinner and dessert were done and people were leaving. It never interfered with our service and never went over the top. I can take it or leave it, but it was never an issue.

Archived