Bringing along friends for my kids

I know there have been many posts on the subject, and by viewing various threads, I already know the basics about booking, getting notarized consent, passports, etc. My question is to those who have allowed their kids to bring friends - what is the best way for them to stay in touch with family members? I don't usually purchase internet packages, as I like to be free of electronic devices while cruising, but I would be willing to purchase one if that is the best way for them to reach family members. By the way, the "kids" coming along are actually teenagers, ages 16 and 18, so I don't foresee major homesickness. We will be on the Allure stopping in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, so we could have them connect onshore, but except for the Bahamas where we having nothing planned, I don't want to eat in to excursion time if I don't have to.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Texting is cheap, but not free in most cases.

DO NOT LEAVE A TEENAGER ALONG WITH A CELL PHONE!

Really, stories of $500 texting bills are real. You could allow them to either use your phone, or have access to their phone for a few minutes each day to update folks at home. Then take it away from them.

In reality they will live. Remember when kids went to camp for a week. No phone calls. No texts. Nothing.

We haven't brought a friend with us, however my son had to contact his girlfriend while we were on vacation :D

Seriously in every port we visited there was somewhere with free wifi he could use. Sometimes we went to a cafe to get a soda & they gave us the wifi password & this doesn't eat into excursion time at all.

I know there have been many posts on the subject, and by viewing various threads, I already know the basics about booking, getting notarized consent, passports, etc. My question is to those who have allowed their kids to bring friends - what is the best way for them to stay in touch with family members? I don't usually purchase internet packages, as I like to be free of electronic devices while cruising, but I would be willing to purchase one if that is the best way for them to reach family members. By the way, the "kids" coming along are actually teenagers, ages 16 and 18, so I don't foresee major homesickness. We will be on the Allure stopping in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten, so we could have them connect onshore, but except for the Bahamas where we having nothing planned, I don't want to eat in to excursion time if I don't have to.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

if the kids( or parents) want to keep in touch, THEY can buy the internet package.

Give them the emergency ship to shore number and reassure them that if there is an emergency..they will hear from you. I have taken 10 year olds and this has sufficed.

I like this one the most.

You could surprise and make them happy if you do send one email or text after a few days saying all is fine. then, HANG UP!

On the Jewel of the seas this past June our two sons, also ages 16 &18, each brought a friend of the same age. To be honest, at this age, neither kid was all that interested in keeping in touch with their mom and dad. The boys parents each had the ship information in case of an emergency. When we were in St. Croix, they texted friends and turned the phones back off when we got back on the ship.

They have free internet in Nassau. Just bring an ipad/cell phone with wifi to send a quick note in Nassau.

The free WiFi at the port terminal building is currently turned off as that part of the facility is going to be demolished for a new terminal building. No info on when new construction will be done.

Archived