Holland America Wine Policy -

MR NW GUY

Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Will Holland's new wine policy have any effect on you next cruise selection?

Just a suspicion of course, but I suspect that there was a suspicion that only a very few cared. If those that have already decided to walk (and have so posted) see this thread and vote - the results could be very surprising;)

And...that would be me. My next cruise is on a upper end line with a great wine program and a liberal wine policy (bring your wine on and drink in your cabin for no corkage or pay $25 per bottle in the dining areas - no limit on the number of bottles just be adult about it). Since we will be in French Polynesia, we will not be bringing any wine unless we find something in the duty free area. But I can tell you this. The wines by the glass under their beverage program are of better quality than HAL's. Thus, we have purchased the package.

We'll come back to HAL for the 7 day cruises as long as price and itinerary are good. Because of the wine policy, the longer and more exotic cruises will be taken with other cruiselines.

I voted "no" only because I was answering a narrowly defined question, and I do not normally drink wine. However, that is not to say that I approve of the new policy, or how it was implemented---I do not.

The fact that the new policy does not impact on me directly does not change the fact that it is a poor policy, which could easily be improved upon to the satisfaction of both the passengers and HAL's bean counters. Nor does it change the fact that the initial implementation and subsequent pullback made HAL administration look like fools.

I voted "no" only because I was answering a narrowly defined question, and I do not normally drink wine. However, that is not to say that I approve of the new policy, or how it was implemented---I do not.

The fact that the new policy does not impact on me directly does not change the fact that it is a poor policy, which could easily be improved upon to the satisfaction of both the passengers and HAL's bean counters. Nor does it change the fact that the initial implementation and subsequent pullback made HAL administration look like fools.

Exactly! Thank you Ruth for stating it so eloquently. Perhaps the poll questions should have been - do you agree with the policy and has HAL's poor handling of the implementation changed the way you feel about them?

No it will not stop me from sailing on HAL. I look at the cruise itself, itinerary, price, ship, time of year.

The poll did not show up for me.

The poll is not asking if you will stop sailing with HAL, but if the new policy has any impact on your decision making. Perhaps, for some, the previous policy gave HAL a one up on other lines but now puts them on a more level playing field.

And who is to say that you can't vote more than once?

You can only vote once per board name. Now, if you are registered on CC under multiple names, .... :rolleyes:

I have to wonder about the fact that the poll is not anonymous. If someone was reluctant to post to the numerous threads about the new policy, as their posts would be attributed to them, this poll is the same. Some people may choose to refrain for that reason.

How do I vote in a poll and view the results?

To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the 'Vote!' button. Sometime you can choose more than one option. You can see the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.

Sorry, but this is not showing up on my computer, as well as on some others. If people are having difficulty voting, the poll reflects nothing.

And...that would be me. My next cruise is on a upper end line with a great wine program and a liberal wine policy (bring your wine on and drink in your cabin for no corkage or pay $25 per bottle in the dining areas - no limit on the number of bottles just be adult about it). Since we will be in French Polynesia, we will not be bringing any wine unless we find something in the duty free area. But I can tell you this. The wines by the glass under their beverage program are of better quality than HAL's. Thus, we have purchased the package.

We'll come back to HAL for the 7 day cruises as long as price and itinerary are good. Because of the wine policy, the longer and more exotic cruises will be taken with other cruiselines.

Welcome to the conversation...

Thanks for participating.

Well, I still see no sense in this poll because it's just to satisfy NW's curiosity on how a very few people might vote. No value. However, I voted yes, but it's not strictly true. I was too far committed for it to affect my next cruise, but it certainly is making me re-think future cruise plans.

Perhaps mr. Nice guy is a HAL employee and trying to get a finger on the pulse ??? He does live in WA I believe. I cannot vote as we're in Barcelona boarding the NA tomorrow and I don't s e e it on my notepa...so, mr nice guy, check me off as a "yes", please.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

I saw the purpose at what I thought was face value, the new wine policy does or does not impact your booking decision. I think that's a valid question with a simple yes or no answer. I'll reiterate that we'd already started exploring other lines due to dissatisfaction with HAL so the change in wine policy had virtually no impact other than to confirm we'd already made the right decision.

I agree with you Randy.

bob

The poll is not asking if you will stop sailing with HAL, but if the new policy has any impact on your decision making. Perhaps, for some, the previous policy gave HAL a one up on other lines but now puts them on a more level playing field.

Exactly! The liberal wine policy was a check in the plus column. The new policy is a check in the minus column.

I don't understand why some people are so upset about the poll. It isn't mandatory. If you don't like the way it was written, don't vote. If the OP was just putting it up out of curiosity, so what, he's curious. Nothing wrong with that. I think the wine drinkers are being rather defensive and a little too sensitive. You sound like smokers!!!:p

Nana,

What a great comparison to the smoking threads.

I too don't understand the ongoing jabbing and child like comments. But, I would never ask them not to share their thoughts as different opinions are important.

If my memory serves me right, there was a thread not too long ago that said if you did not agree with a thread, you should just not comment and move on. I wish I could locate that thread as some of the negative posters here are the same folks who were supporting the other thread stating it was not necessary to object.

Oh well, I am glad they feel comfortable enough to post and share.

AND... the poll states:

40% YES :(

60% NO :)

"A super majority" (at this point... and it is only day 1 with 158 votes and no anonymous double voting here.

I don't understand why some people are so upset about the poll. It isn't mandatory. If you don't like the way it was written, don't vote. If the OP was just putting it up out of curiosity, so what, he's curious. Nothing wrong with that. I think the wine drinkers are being rather defensive and a little too sensitive. You sound like smokers!!!:p

63 wine drinkers voted "yes" at the writing of this post. How many have complained about the poll, maybe 2? I think more people had issues bringing the poll up on their browser due to "technical issues" than actually complained.

63 wine drinkers voted "yes" at the writing of this post. How many have complained about the poll, maybe 2? I think more people had issues bringing the poll up on their browser due to "technical issues" than actually complained.

You appear to be correct! Only 2 complainers. I am an ex-smoker (7-years or so.. YIPPEE) and a wine drinker. Go figure!

Nana,

What a great comparison to the smoking threads.

I too don't understand the ongoing jabbing and child like comments. But, I would never ask them not to share their thoughts as different opinions are important.

If my memory serves me right, there was a thread not too long ago that said if you did not agree with a thread, you should just not comment and move on. I wish I could locate that thread as some of the negative posters here are the same folks who were supporting the other thread stating it was not necessary to object.

Oh well, I am glad they feel comfortable enough to post and share.

AND... the poll states:

40% YES :(

60% NO :)

"A super majority" (at this point... and it is only day 1 with 158 votes and no anonymous double voting here.

The thread you are referring to was the `Petition to change HAL wine policy`. Poster Starwin suggested to you that if you disagree with the petition, no need commenting, just walk on by. (I paraphrase)

I think I would be seriously concerned if 40% of my most loyal existing customer base was going to move on because of a policy change I had made for my business. Companies, however, do some really dumb stuff when they are worried about money, so the final outcome remains to be seen.

It would have been helpful to state what the new policy is and then ask the question. I will look it up now.

Actually, a simple comparison showing old policy vs new policy might help.
Current: as much you want from every port. New: one 750 ml bottle per person at embarkation only.

I think I would be seriously concerned if 40% of my most loyal existing customer base was going to move on because of a policy change I had made for my business. Companies, however, do some really dumb stuff when they are worried about money, so the final outcome remains to be seen.

I do not think HAL cares much about their "loyal existing customer base" (IMO) and I agree with you it is all about the money and how it effects their bottom line. As I see it HAL is trying to entice the new comers and those who are maybe one or two star mariners with their pricing. This has been shown and discussed on a few threads lately. Along with cutbacks in service and the quality of food. Not going to argue about it because all the changes are made to influence their bottom line (money/profit) and to keep them competitive. Do I like it? NO because I think it affects the Holland America brand and what as a cruiser over the years I came to expect from them. HAL will eventually wake up to their loss of "loyal customers" when they realize it is hurting their bottom line. But it maybe too late for them to retain some customers like my wife & I who cruised nothing but HAL. I took Ruth's advice and I booked another cruise line and cancelled one of my two cruises with HAL for 2014. As for my loyalty for HAL my avatar use to be the 4 Star Mariner. I removed it. We are going to see what else is out there and I am willing to bet there are plenty more like me thinking the same thing.

bob

I don't think 40% of people here voting yes can be considered 40% of HAL's most loyal customer base.

I am not concerned with the wine policy but empathize with those who are.

I like HAL but also enjoy RCL's smaller ships. The suite perks on RCL are better and the entertainment is much better. Plus, it works better for me to stick with 5 day cruises due to obligations at home. So, many factors come into play for me when deciding on which cruise line to use.

Also, trying out other lines can serve to expand our horizon and cruising comfort zone. Of course, there are a couple of lines I would most likely never sail.

Archived