Awesome Grand Med on Spirit - Review & Photos

Cruiser Bruiser

Hi John

Great to read your postings of the cruise on here! Wasn't it great?! Back to normality now for us, working in cloudy England again although yesterday was sunny and 20 degree's - amazing for us in October! Anyway, it was great to meet you and yes, you did spend an awful lot of time in that jacuzzi, lol! Until next time... Rebecca (& Darran) - the Brits - aka the Catherine, Dutchess of Cambridge look-alike!!

Thanks, Rebecca! Portland is cloudy and rainy, too. I suppose I'm trying to keep the post-cruise afterglow going as long as possible. I think I like the hot tub because it's about as large a group as I'm comfortable speaking to at one time. (I'd probably be just as happy around a dinner table for six. :rolleyes:) It was very nice meeting you and Darran! Kate's got nothing on you; you were very eye-catching in your long dress on the grand staircase. :p By the way, I've all but decided to abandon Cunard and switch to MSC for my cruise with my niece, Isabelle. Nine nights in the western Med this time next year for $714! Cheers!

For me, Venice was a bit surreal. I've seen it so many times in movies and pictures that I felt like I had been there before. But Venice is so rich in detail and texture that being in it is almost overwhelming. We treated it like Disneyland--we arrived and wandered knowing that we couldn't venture beyond the boundaries of the island.

DSC01053_zps5a7fe9e6.jpg

I already mentioned that we loved our hotel. We had dinner the first night in a random deli called Happy Pizza. The main benefit was bar tables we could stand at and a location in a busy alley so we could watch folks go by. Of course we also had a gelato. Food on the island is expensive and I don't know what you can do on the fly to ensure a "superior" dining experience, so we didn't try. We were happy with our choices.

DSC02481_zps8c7ff2f1.jpg

The best thing we did was wander out early in the morning on day two when students and office workers were flooding onto the island. The air was crisp, the autumn light was bright and warm, and the muffled sounds of folks rushing about was the loudest sound. Seeing real Venetians going about their lives in the near absence of tourists was priceless. (Notice above how Venetian cops are not like American cops. I love that people are different in other places.)

DSC02597_zps28540658.jpg

DSC02587_zpseee0fda2.jpg

Get a vaporetto pass; 20 euro for 24 hours. It's the best way to see Venice, and you can only wander for so long before you get tired. We paid to see the Palazzo Ducale and I highly recommend it. Two days in Venice and we just barely scratched the surface. I want to go back. My favorite shot of Venice is below. As crowded as the island is with tourists, there are plenty of quiet corners if you look for them.

DSC02514_zpsf9e4f63b.jpg

John, I have been thinking of doing either a Jade or Spirit cruise out of Venice. I am a little leery because I am a 67 year old widow who travels alone. Would I be safe in Venice?

I live in the Walla Walla Valley 4 hours up the Columbia River from you folks. It is so foggy this morning, I can not see out my front window to across the street. Winter is here. I loved your review and pictures.

Mandy

John, I have been thinking of doing either a Jade or Spirit cruise out of Venice. I am a little leery because I am a 67 year old widow who travels alone. Would I be safe in Venice?

I live in the Walla Walla Valley 4 hours up the Columbia River from you folks. It is so foggy this morning, I can not see out my front window to across the street. Winter is here. I loved your review and pictures.

Mandy

Europe has its professional pick pockets, and tourist attract them like flies. The key is to not keep your money in a wallet or purse. When I travel to Europe I wear a money belt hidden under my pants for all of my important valuables. Use your purse for make up and tissues type stuff.

A lot of folks said they didn't like Athens, but not me. More than anything I wanted to see the Parthenon, so we chose NCL's Acropolis and Leisure excursion. We mostly liked it. It was very crowded, but we were lucky to be one of the early groups to make it up. I understand that it the afternoon it might not have been too pleasant.

DSC02788_zps8376ca2a.jpg

Weather was gorgeous and I don't think we could have asked for better. Views were spectacular--we could see the Spirit docked in Piraeus.

DSC02819_zps65196212.jpg

DSC01397_zps105298e0.jpg

Anything can happen, including general strikes by aggrieved civil servants. We did lose a big chunk of our "leisure" time because our Greek bus driver decided to drive up a closed street. We sat in traffic for one hour while five lanes of traffic queued up to turn left onto a one-lane road or make a U-turn. The driver had to move a couple Vespas to complete his turn and he almost hit a couple pedestrians in the crosswalk. That led to some authentic old-world screaming at the driver. Pure spectacle.

DSC02871_zpsa26d01ba.jpg

We finally arrived in the Plaka, the oldest part of Athens. Unfortunately, the tour encourages folks to spend their time in a portion of the Plaka that seemed to consist entirely of merchants selling tourist crap. We went two blocks away and found a Greek pie and coffee house that saved the afternoon. The place was chic, fun, and we felt like we got to spend 45 minutes in the real Athens. All's well that ends well.

DSC02880_zpsa62158b1.jpg

I was really hyped about going to Turkey, and I also have a thing for ancient Rome, so Ephesus was a big deal for me. The biggest hints that you're in someplace different (i.e. exotic) are the minarets and the fact that everything is in Turkish. I speak enough Spanish and French that I could work out signs in Italian. I could read none of the signs in Turkey.

DSC02905_zpsc9eb6746.jpg

We splurged and paid for the Ultimate Ephesus excursion through NCL, which featured a small van group, a guided tour of Ephesus, including the Terrace Houses, and lunch at a resort. The excursion was perfect!

DSC02965_zpsee2a5f73.jpg

I'll say that it was crowded most of the places we went, but not too crowded. The "whispers" (wireless headphones) that the guides use to communicate are fantastic because you can wander around a bit and still hear all the commentary. And because we had perfect weather, the heat wasn't baking folks' nerves.

DSC01608_zps7bedd92c.jpg

Ephesus is big enough that it takes up the whole day. You do need some imagination to get a sense of how things were. Having been buried for a couple thousand years has taken its toll. But I was impressed by all of it, especially the Terrace Houses. I think it was very much worth it to pay extra for a tour that included them.

DSC01577_zps51e42122.jpg

After a good five hours or so of touring the ruins, we were treated to a Roman lunch. We were greeted by more than a dozen folks in costume and we assumed the would perform some sort of show. They didn't. But we got to dress up in costumes ourselves for our lunch. Everyone in our group, save one, did. Was it a good thing? I don't know, but when in Turkey... Fantastic excursion!!

DSC03128_zps9d3ba8f9.jpg

LOVE the costumes you wore at lunch in Ephesus! I wish my teenagers would agree to wear those so I could book that excursion for us in June. Do you recall what kind of food was served at lunch? Thanks for this terrific review so far!

Thanks for the kind words. I know for sure we had "mezza" (tapas-like small-plate appetizers), I'm pretty sure we had chicken shish (not kebab, but we would have called it that), a dessert and wine. There might also have been a pasta course. It was a nice meal, if I recall, but it's starting to blend with the meal we had in Amalfi and in Rome. :o

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

Great review! A Med cruise was low on my priority list, but just moved up some notches.

Some folks might remember that I'm taking all of my nieces on cruises one by one. It's a good bonding opportunity and a good excuse to go on another cruise. (My sister's middle daughter and I are going to the Western Caribbean in December.) My sister's youngest was audacious enough to tell me she wants to go to Paris on her cruise! :eek: Well, I loved this Mediterranean cruise so much I'm just about ready to book a 9-night western Med cruise on MSC next October. (We'll fly to Paris then take the TGV to Marseille and sail round trip from there.) I think I've found my new happy place. :)

Istanbul was the most exotic of our ports. The ship docks right across the bridge (in the picture below) from the oldest part of the city where you will find Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia. This is the view from the promenade deck:

DSC03141_zpsf151298b.jpg

Dave sold a photo that was included in a college-level physics textbook. The author, a retired professor of nuclear physics, met us and took us on a day-long personal tour of old Istanbul. This was the most special part of an otherwise spectacular day. We met for a quick coffee, tried and abandoned a taxi, and then set off on foot. Best piece of advice: walk or take the streetcar across the bridge. You'll spend hours stuck in traffic if you try and take a taxi. Below, the old neighborhoods surrounding Topkapi Palace:

DSC01676_zpsf50f68d7.jpg

We went to the Blue Mosque, skipped the Hagia Sofia because the line was super long (and I've been in a church before, even some really old ones), and we also went to the Basilica Cistern. Loved the cistern as it was cool, dark, and relatively quiet. The mosque was very busy and it was hard to feel reverential. Having said that, it was spectacular and I'm glad I saw it.

DSC03202_zps0186b54f.jpg

DSC03230_zpse65ff258.jpg

The Blue (Sultanahmet) Mosque also had a long line, but it went quickly and afforded plenty of opportunity to take pictures. Of course it helped that we had a running commentary. Be prepared to remove your shoes and make sure you're wearing long pants.

DSC03243_zps485397d0.jpg

Istanbul is not only old, it's also very fashionable. The parts we saw were nicer than Athens, for example, in every way. In fact, our guide hinted that there's a lot of resentment about Greece's entry into the EU when the Turks feel they are more advanced economically and yet haven't been admitted.

DSC01790_zps8d61f420.jpg

We made it to the Grand Bazaar, and I was glad we had a guide. It is vast, and I can see how folks might get lost. But it wasn't as forbidding as I had imagined. Every arcade sells a different kind of merchandise.

I was really happy when we emerged from the bazaar and ended up on the streets where the real Turks shop. Our guide promised the restaurant where we were meant to eat lunch was about 5 minutes away. It was more like 30-45 minutes!

DSC03263_zpscce6db73.jpg

Lunch was in a rooftop restaurant facing the Golden Horn, Bosphorus Strait, the ship, and the bridge that connects Europe to Asia. We had a fantastic lunch (best stuffed grape leaves I've ever had plus real muddy Turkish coffee) served by all-male professional waiters. Old school for sure, but spectacular! Norwegian Spirit is right behind my left ear in the photo below.

DSC03277_zps18f3ec3b.jpg

After lunch, we walked up the hill to see another mosque, the "Suleman the Magnificent" mosque. (It's actually the mosque in the port image from the last post.) It's also 550 years old and it just underwent a 10 year restoration. It was quiet and awesome, so much so that I was moved to stop and pray. Quite the contrast to the business of the Sultanahmet Mosque. I'm glad we saw it. (Concerning our journey there: Our guide was getting tired and we tried to get a taxi to take us up the hill; they all refused and told us to walk. I'm glad we did as I love these walks through streets that are devoid of tourists.)

DSC03301_zps1af32c6c.jpg

We eventually exhausted our guide and we were left to our own devices. We bought tickets to Topkapi Palace and did an express 2-hour tour. We really focused on the Harem (the gilded cage where the sultan's wives, sons and mother lived) and I'm glad we made the effort. It was spectacular!

DSC03336_zps40ed26dc.jpg

Istanbul made a lasting impression, and I'm anxious to go back some day. I'll end with a tale about the streetcar. We used it to get back to the ship at 5:30 p.m. local time--rush hour. Talk about a Tokyo subway situation! We were literally wedged in, full body contact, with all of your neighbors. Talk about an authentic Istanbul experience! Of course I kept my hand in my pocket on top of my wallet and passport, but I didn't feel at all nervous. I will remember that train ride for the rest of my life.

DSC01833_zpsc0160fac.jpg

DSC03312_zps44464f0b.jpg

Thank you for stirring up my beautiful memories of this trip that I took last fall. My friend and her husband just finished the same cruise and said that they loved it (whew). I love your easy going style of reviewing.

Every crew member of the staff was warm and wonderful, especially Armando. Sylvia was our most wonderful consiergie, is she still there.

I never like to do the same vacation twice but I would jump at the chance to be on board the Spirit, no matter where she went.

Keep your story going please!

Bonni

Thank you for stirring up my beautiful memories of this trip that I took last fall. My friend and her husband just finished the same cruise and said that they loved it (whew). I love your easy going style of reviewing.

Every crew member of the staff was warm and wonderful, especially Armando. Sylvia was our most wonderful consiergie, is she still there.

I never like to do the same vacation twice but I would jump at the chance to be on board the Spirit, no matter where she went.

Keep your story going please!

Bonni

Thanks for the encouragement, Bonni! Yahira was the concierge on this sailing, and she was wonderful too. In fact, she would magically appear at times to chat with us and I still don't know how she managed to find us! It would likely be a while before I could afford to do this trip again, but I'd be tempted to do the Canary Islands itinerary... :p

Whoever planned this itinerary knew what they were doing by putting Mykonos exactly where it is. Athens, Ephesus and Istanbul were long days and everyone was ready for a rest. Bottom Line: Mykonos is a fantastic island and the perfect place to have a gorgeous beach day! I wasn't prepared to have the fun, beautiful, relaxing day that we had, and it was the best surprise of the whole trip.

DSC03409_zps0a9f972e.jpg

This is a tender port, but they operate frequently and efficiently so we didn't have to wait very long before the tender left for the island. The main attraction on the island is Mykonos Town and Matoyiani Street (the main shopping strip). Dave and I, and some new friends we made on the ship, just wandered and took it all in. I bought a shirt made in Greece (that's what the label says) and we stopped for some very inexpensive drinks.

DSC01904_zps0169b16f.jpg

At the top of the street, we accidentally found the bus station for the shuttles that take you to the various beaches. We paid 3.2 euro (round trip) for a ticket to Paradise.

DSC03474_zps215f2434.jpg

Paradise is lined with beach clubs. We didn't even have to pay for our lounger, but normally you would. Excellent atmosphere, gorgeous weather, warm water, oh, and the Greek islands. What more could you want?

DSC03480_zps56661469.jpg

Cheap wine, you say? I love the fact that in Europe they sell small bottles of local wines meant to be drunk by an individual. I usually got 2.5 glasses out of a bottle. Why don't we do this in the USA? We're #1, right, but no small bottles of wine???

DSC01922_zps848678bf.jpg

After a couple hours at the beach, we took the bus back to town and wandered around Little Venice (behind me in the picture above) to see the windmills and have a sunset dinner. We had an excellent meal in a small restaurant overlooking the water. I was definitely in my happy place. I LOVED Mykonos. I haven't been to Ibiza, but I'm sure all the t-shirts we saw that said "Mykonos f**** Ibiza" must be true.

I've bought those small bottles of wine in Colorado often for backpacking trips :) Mykonos looks wonderful!!

Good to know about the small bottles of wine. I'd really like them to be a common thing in restaurants, I suppose, rather than wine by the glass. I guess the Europeans don't really do that.

I would love to travel around Greece by ferry. That would be an ideal way, I think, to see multiple islands.

Have to say how much I have enjoyed your trip report so far, no fluff, no bs, just an honest account of a fabulous trip with great pictures. We were on the Jade in the Med twice and it is really addicting, these trips. We'll be in Istanbul in April on the Jade, and your pics made us more anxious to be there!

Someday I'll have to return to Naples to see Naples. We chose the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii excursion through NCL and it was a long day of touring. We liked the excursion a lot and would recommend it. Our guide, Rosanna, was the best of the entire trip. She was informative, lusty, and a lot of fun. Our specialized driver, Luigi, capably steered us along the coastal road.

DSC03537_zps5b025f10.jpg

I did not anticipate how much movement we would experience inside the motor coach. Definitely a gut-clencher as we went through turn after turn. I could see how some folks wouldn't like it. I had to focus on my breathing to avoid getting car sick.

DSC03559_zpsc4de3980.jpg

You do see a lot from the coach, and there were two photo stops along the way before we stopped for some time to explore the town of Amalfi itself. It's small, charming and exactly what you'd expect. We walked around a bit, took in the sights, and had a super-delicious gelato.

DSC03609_zpsd18a9ba7.jpg

There was a wedding happening, so the church bells were ringing and the town square took on a festive atmosphere. Just lovely. The town was impossibly steep, as you would imagine, so we definitely had the feeling of being at the bottom of a well. I almost got hit by the electric bus in the photo below. It's very quiet!

DSC03602_zps64d6946c.jpg

We then had a really nice lunch at a beautiful restaurant on a cliff overlooking the ocean. While we dined in a banquet space to the side (along with a bunch of impossibly-stylish Italians having a business lunch) the main part of the restaurant was packed, so I think I was justified in liking it.

DSC03639_zpsa358d41c.jpg

Between the drive, our brief stop in Amalfi and lunch, we got just enough of a taste of the Amalfi Coast to want to go back. And that was only the first half of the day!

DSC03651_zps4e0a6a85.jpg