Called for Jury duty the week of our cruise. What happens now

Gayle V

I just opened my mail and found a notice that I'm called for jury duty in November, the week of our cruise. It's too late to reach the court house this evening, so I have to wait till tomorrow to call and ask about this, but it's making me crazy right now. I'm hoping one of you knows what happens in a case like this. Are they likely to let me serve on a different week?

In most jurisdictions you can call and schedule for another date. There should be instructions with your jury summons. Just call in the morning and get it done. You will be fine. You do not need to speak to a Judge. When you get a Summons for Jury duty you wouldn't even know what case you would be picked for let alone the Judge.

I just opened my mail and found a notice that I'm called for jury duty in November, the week of our cruise. It's too late to reach the court house this evening, so I have to wait till tomorrow to call and ask about this, but it's making me crazy right now. I'm hoping one of you knows what happens in a case like this. Are they likely to let me serve on a different week?

You can get it rescheduled. Not to worry. Just explain your situation to them. It happens all the time.

My husband got Jury duty during our vacation time. I believe he was able to write that on the form and send it back - you ck off to be rescheduled - they did and sent him a notice of the new date. Before the new date, he did indeed get a jury summons for that date. He served then. It won't be a problem. Enjoy your cruise.

I live in a different state but I know people who have had a conflict and they were able to have the week switched. You might have to offer proof that you are booked on a cruise for the original jury week. Above all keep in contact with the head of securing the jury pool so they know you need to change when you serve on the jury pool. I had asked people who served on a jury what happens to people who don't show up. They said first they get a stern call to be at the courthouse the next day. If they don't show, the police show up at their home the next morning.

Sali

As long as you give a reason, they will throw your name back into the pool. I don't hear of too many cases where they want proof, but if they do, you'll have your invoice to show them.

My son got a summon a few weeks after his Marine recruiter picked him up to take him off to boot camp. I just scribbled on the card that they needed to forward to Parris Island ... never heard back from them.

The same thing happened to me with our 12 nite Medit. cruise this past August. In our county (Monmouth) we are able to go on line and request postponement with a reason. Got excused with instructions that I would be called in September--September has come and gone, but no jury duty. I'm hoping they don't call me the week of February 9th as we are cruising on the Allure. Keeping my fingers crossed.:cool:

They will reschedule you after you inform them of your trip. Enjoy your cruise

Also see if there's a website. Down here (Dallas), you can go online and re-schedule - you can actually pick a specific future date.

Same with my county in Florida. When you ask for a postponement online, you must provide a reschedule date that is no more than 6 months out.

I had to do this yesterday because I got a jury summons in the mail to serve on a day while my wife is out of town for work the entire week and I have to to juggle the kids (6 and 4) as it is.

So I looked through my calendar and picked a date that had nothing going on.

The last time I received a summons (here in Michigan) it was for the first week of a new school year. This was before I retired (admin asst for facilities and transportation). No way could I miss the first week of school. I called the court and the gal said "No problem. When would you like to reschedule?" She suggested the week of Thanksgiving. They don't hold court on Wednesdays, Thursday and Friday were holidays. I jumped on it. Needless to say I wasn't needed on Monday and Tuesday but I served my term.

Cathy

I am the Administrator at a large courthouse in Illinois. As others have said, most Jury Commissions are pretty sympathetic to those with scheduled vacations. They are not nearly as sympathetic to those who want to reschedule or cancel jury service for work reasons. I would contact them and provide a couple of months that that may reschedule you for. I wouldn't anticipate any problems.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is so timely as yesterday I received notice that I have been put on the Jury duty list which means I can expect to be called sometime in the next 6 months - I was worried as we have a cruise booked for Feb 2014 and I can just imagine that I will get called to appear that week or shortly before and end up serving on a jury instead of cruising.

Its so reassuring to know other CC members have had this happen and got Jury duty postponed

Thanks

I hate to be a damper on the subject, but my husband got a summons and they would not let him reschedule. They said because the call dates were Mon & Tues and we didn't leave until Thursday then it wasn't an excuse. So we figure he wouldn't get picked anyway since we were leaving Wrong, the judge said to him 'this trial will be over in 2 days so no excuse' so you guessed it, he got picked. I was sweating bullets Tues night until 10 pm when he finally got home from the deliberations.

The one thing I learned was don't save to much to do the week you're leaving!

Archived