Singles to get Double Points

My most recent cruise...solo...just posted at single points, not double. SHould I contact them or will it update later to double?

If your cruise left after October 1, 2013 then contact Royal Caribbean, as you should have received an extra point per night.

If your cruise left after October 1, 2013 then contact Royal Caribbean, as you should have received an extra point per night.

It was two weeks ago, so definitely after Oct 1! I will start a conversation with them.

Thanks!

I've been pricing potential cruises and find that all of them are pricing out at 200% (per person rate times many land tours have no single surcharge or a small one, so there are many options for my travel dollars.

I have 2 cruises I booked well before the new pricing. My Rhapsody cruise has a 1.54 surcharge, and even my Quantum was only 1.6 surcharge. Unfortunately I have 2 next cruise certificates I bought just before the changes, going to see if I can transfer them to someone else to use.

The only way I can see taking an RCL cruise in the future is if the per person rate is extremely low, so that at 200% the per day is lower than $125, or the itinerary or ship is something special.

Personally I don't accept the argument that because the other lines have been charging the same surcharge we should accept that RCL has gone to the same pricing. I sailed so much with RCL, because it was a better value.

Will be curious to see what happens, and if solo bookings drop off enough for RCL to notice.

Your post should realy get their attention, but I fear they will not react quickly.

Consumers buy on Value! That said, the value spectrum is not equal between consumer groups.

Another fact is that lines like NCL oversell categories targeting solo travelers, using their Studio category to really offer 1.3 to 1.6 fares on a guarantee.

I just sailed last week on their new Getaway and was assigned a balcony BA category in the end, having paid the T1 GTY studio fare.

While 200% has always been the industry norm for 'brochure' pricing on cruise ships, the industry has never before had the current inventory available nor was the societal shift toward more and more solo travelers prevelant.

While I fully expect and want RCI to do everything to remain profitable, I also now expect capacity controlled offers on some sailings with excess inventory projected to make cruising affordable for solo travelers.

They recently had been running a 2 for 1 offer on Vision in April, where a couple could book an outside for $700 for two and then they wanted $1098 for me as a solo. The real issue also became that a family could add an additional passenger and still get a fare that was below my solo total price. I do not see how that is not just discriminatory!

This is going to be interesting. With this change, RCI has essentially put a fairly attractive points accelerator on single cruisers. I hope people remember this the next time RCI "updates" their programs and increases the points required for certain perks.

I think in the end it's a great marketing tool, as overall a lot of people seem to chase cruise points the way a gambler foolishly chases comps. So RCI knows it's basically setting the hook for these people. Once they'v got em on the line, they can just keep reeling them in!

• 2 weeks later...
Your post should realy get their attention, but I fear they will not react quickly.

Consumers buy on Value! That said, the value spectrum is not equal between consumer groups.

Another fact is that lines like NCL oversell categories targeting solo travelers, using their Studio category to really offer 1.3 to 1.6 fares on a guarantee.

I just sailed last week on their new Getaway and was assigned a balcony BA category in the end, having paid the T1 GTY studio fare.

While 200% has always been the industry norm for 'brochure' pricing on cruise ships, the industry has never before had the current inventory available nor was the societal shift toward more and more solo travelers prevelant.

While I fully expect and want RCI to do everything to remain profitable, I also now expect capacity controlled offers on some sailings with excess inventory projected to make cruising affordable for solo travelers.

They recently had been running a 2 for 1 offer on Vision in April, where a couple could book an outside for $700 for two and then they wanted $1098 for me as a solo. The real issue also became that a family could add an additional passenger and still get a fare that was below my solo total price. I do not see how that is not just discriminatory!

That is interesting about the NCL pricing, thanks for pointing it out. I haven't sailed them in several years due to 200% single rates on almost every sailing.

• 3 months later...
It was two weeks ago, so definitely after Oct 1! I will start a conversation with them.

Thanks!

As an update, I did start a conversation and was ultimately awarded 2 points for each night.

However: I did a 13 night cruise solo since then and was again only awarded 1 point per night. I have sent a request twice via their website under missing points. Each time I get an automated response that someone will respond within 48 hours. Nobody has responded either time.

I am about to book a few cabins for a family holiday and would like to get my points resolved before doing so.

Before I get on the phone and try to resolve, has the program been changed back to single points again?

As an update, I did start a conversation and was ultimately awarded 2 points for each night.

However: I did a 13 night cruise solo since then and was again only awarded 1 point per night. I have sent a request twice via their website under missing points. Each time I get an automated response that someone will respond within 48 hours. Nobody has responded either time.

I am about to book a few cabins for a family holiday and would like to get my points resolved before doing so.

Before I get on the phone and try to resolve, has the program been changed back to single points again?

Not changed back, still an extra point per night when a single cruises in a double occupancy stateroom.

It has not changed. I have had 7 sailings since the change. 6 posted correctly.

2 were 2 points a night in shared suite. 2 were in standard rooms and posted 2 points a night automatically as solo and 2 were in JS and posted 3 points a night as solo.

I had one post incorrectly and they have been horrible about updating it. I have now waited one month after they filed a document when I called C&A. The Loyalty Manager on Liberty said that it normally takes 3 weeks for points to be corrected after the report is filed.

I recommend a call to the C&A number to start the process.

It has not changed. I have had 7 sailings since the change. 6 posted correctly.

2 were 2 points a night in shared suite. 2 were in standard rooms and posted 2 points a night automatically as solo and 2 were in JS and posted 3 points a night as solo.

I had one post incorrectly and they have been horrible about updating it. I have now waited one month after they filed a document when I called C&A. The Loyalty Manager on Liberty said that it normally takes 3 weeks for points to be corrected after the report is filed.

I recommend a call to the C&A number to start the process.

I had to call the last time and get pretty vocal about it. I guess I have to do it again ::sigh:: The only reason I thought to check here if others were still getting the double points is because I looked at their FAQ and it says one point for one night. It makes no mention of solo cruisers getting double.

I had to call the last time and get pretty vocal about it. I guess I have to do it again ::sigh:: The only reason I thought to check here if others were still getting the double points is because I looked at their FAQ and it says one point for one night. It makes no mention of solo cruisers getting double.

If you look at this link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

You will find this footnote:

14 One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates, as well category SI and SB, are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

Edited by clarea

If you look at this link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do

You will find this footnote:

14 One Cruise Point for each completed night of sailing and an extra Cruise Point per night when you purchase and sail in suite accommodations (categories RL, RS, PS, SL, TS, A1, A2, A3, CL, OS, FS, GS, JS) and/or sail in any category and pay a single pricing type for double occupancy staterooms. All other rates including Travel Agent rates, as well category SI and SB, are excluded from single price type extra point promotion. Cruisetours are included as an additional night per each day on the cruise tour. Points will be awarded by rate paid not rate berthed, for example, in the instance of an upgrade from an outside to a suite category.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that!