What do you wear to the ship on embarkation day?

carolslc

First cruise here, so probably a silly question. But everyone keeps saying to bring your swimsuit in your bag so you can change when you get on the ship. We're staying in a local hotel the night before, in San Juan, where it will be plenty warm. Why wouldn't I just put shorts and a tee over my swimsuit when going to the ship? I plan to board the ship as early as we can, and go straight to the pool when we get there. I don't want to change into my swimsuit in a bathroom since cabins won't be ready yet. Is there a dress code for boarding that I'm not aware of?

And a sort-of related question - while I'm at the pool in my swimsuit, is the pool grill open on embarkation day for food?

Thanks for helping the new girl!

(in cold, rainy Salt Lake, day-dreaming of pool and beach time in the Caribbean)

First cruise here, so probably a silly question. But everyone keeps saying to bring your swimsuit in your bag so you can change when you get on the ship. We're staying in a local hotel the night before, in San Juan, where it will be plenty warm. Why wouldn't I just put shorts and a tee over my swimsuit when going to the ship? I plan to board the ship as early as we can, and go straight to the pool when we get there. I don't want to change into my swimsuit in a bathroom since cabins won't be ready yet. Is there a dress code for boarding that I'm not aware of?

And a sort-of related question - while I'm at the pool in my swimsuit, is the pool grill open on embarkation day for food?

(in cold, rainy Salt Lake, day-dreaming of pool and beach time in the Caribbean)

You can do as you plan. The Mast Grill is open and serve excellent hamburgers.

My dad wears his suit jacket that he plans to wear on Formal night on the ship. As soon as we get to the cabin he hangs it up to prevent wrinkles. Luckily we live close to the port.

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg "I can see Carnival Miracle and Inspiration from my porch" (to paraphrase Tina Fey as S. Palin)

I still cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (with 2 sugar-free vanilla ice-creams!)

Thanks everyone! If there's not a long line, then we may have our picture taken, but in shorts and tees is just fine with me. I now have my embarkation attire planned, will seriously consider a yummy burger poolside when I get there, and now just have to wait 3 more long months. You'll know where to find me on embarkation day if you are on our cruise. :D

I always wear my swim suit with either a cotton dress type cover up or a shirt and shorts over it. One less thing to carry and that much faster to sun and warm after a COLD WI winter.

We usually eat in the buffet before we "hunker" down at the pool. But it sounds awesome to have a burger. That is one thing we are really looking forward to on Summit!

I wear my lime green unitard ( think Borat) onto the ship. People always seem to stare. Must be my carry-on! :)))

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That would be a mankini.

You should switch to a more understated carry-on if you don't want people to stare.

The Borat image almost made me spit out my soup. Good job. When embarking on a Caribbean cruise I tend to wear a casual-ish sundress that is MDR appropriate. That way, I don't have to "carry-on" a change of clothes in case my suitcases aren't delivered before dinner. I don't usually like swimming right when I board as I find it to be too hectic on the pool deck (but that's just me). I don't usually wait in line for pictures while boarding, but if it was my first cruise again, I definitely would.

My bathing suit just isn't comfortable to wear under street clothes, but if it works for you, that's great. I'm also never sure whether or not I really want to go to the pool on the first day -- but my bathing suit is always in my carry-on, just in case! And, IMHO, the Mast Grill is the best kept secret for lunch on boarding day. But, shhh ... don't tell anybody -- I like that it's usually not crowded! ;)

No boarding dress code, I usually go in something very comfortable for warm weather, we like to wait until rooms are ready in the sunset lounge area. I also make sure I could pass for smart casual, just in case luggage isn't delivered in time for dinner. I have a swimsuit in my carry on, but don't usually end up changing into it, just too much else to enjoy on boarding day. :). Oh, and I also consider what my boarding photo will look like, because I usually buy one of those.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Archived