Solo on the Allure - My Thoughts

The chocolate tart was delicious, we all agreed it would be better warm.

232323232%7Ffp54375%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B67%3C869348nu0mrj

I give up. Is it supposed to say Giovanni's? Or is it a secret message? Give Ivan? Graceland? Garland?

maureencruiser, you are a RIOT. This review is right up there with MADQ.

Loving this so far....my DH is just not sure if he wants to go on such a large ship...this is helping him change his mind.

I always said I wouldn't ever get on the Oasis because its too big. But I'm "suffering" through her in a couple of weeks by myself because the price was too good to pass up.:p

Edited by wrp96

Awesome review & Amazing pic's!! When do you sail again I wanna come to....you sound like a hoot!!:D

Grandeur on Dec 8 , thinking about doing a live review including a review of Amtrak from the Burg to Baltimore- Can I get a what, what!

You should be able to turn those necklaces off and on by squeezing in a certain spot, in which case it should last for six whole years ;)

Same thing for the acrobats! :eek:

Did it again. I should be fun and it should be fun also.

Have fun on the Enchantment! If you meet Geoffrey on the CD's staff, my panda is named after him.

So you got invited to the cabin of that little boy that was checking out the Rising Tide Bar?

No, that's what I brought aboard, 222 bottles, right? That's what I read!

Day 3 - My 50th Birthday or 2 Germans, 2 New Zealanders and 1 American walk into a Brazilian Steakhouse.

I leapt out of bed this morning like a newborn gazelle ready to run through the dewy grass.

:p Ok, Well, I hauled my ass out of bed and somehow managed to drag myself to the bathroom. Did I look 50? Did I feel 50? Who had time to dwell on these things, I was hungry. It was too late for JRs or the Park Cafe, so, I hit the Windjammer.

Humph, it hit me right back. Since I didn't want to eat in the MDR, I anticipated eating in the WJ a lot. I have to say, having been on both the Jewel and the Enchantment this year, this WJ was a disappointment.

The first thing when you enter, they seat you. In my case, waaaay in the back. It was next to the window, that was nice, but, I had to run like a gazelle, haul my ass all the way back to get my food. As you know, I was trying to preserve my steps on this cruise and a seat in the buffet with no food did not help my cause. I didn't realize the Walk for Wishes was being staged in the WJ!

So, I went all the way back to the beginning, waved at the girl who had seated me, :rolleyes: and got some food. I usually don't mind a buffet, especially at breakfast, I mean, how bad can scrambled eggs be?

BAD!

It just wasn't good, not even close to the other WJs. And of course, I had to run like a gazelle, haul my ass (arse, for my UK fans) all the way back to my assigned seat. They do get your drink for you while you are out scavenging for food, but, is that even safe? I took pics of all the suspicious characters at the adjoining tables who could have tampered with my OJ. Luckily, my milk was sealed. Thanks, Borden!

I can understand the concept of them helping you find a seat, but, I don't know, how about waiting until I have my food and am ready to sit? :confused:

Well, you can't outslick slick! So, the next time I went back there, the girl said how many and I waved my camera at her, mumbled something about just taking pictures, which I did, in case she had me under surveillance and then got my food and found my own table, like a big girl!

The whole thing left me so upset, I had to retreat to my cabin for my post-breakfast.

232323232%7Ffp5437%3B%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A74536348nu0mrj

OK, Now, I had to wait till noon so my coworkers could see me on the Promenade Webcam. What idiot thought it would be a good idea for the overweight, bad feet, bad knees 50 year old to wait till noon before even heading out into the sweltering humidity that is Haiti?

Oh, wait, that was me.:o

Ok, now, we have to get serious for a minute. The first and only time I was "in" Labadee was on my Freedom cruise on January 12, 2010.

If that date seems familiar, it is because that is the day of the Haiti Earthquake. I have told this story before on CC, I even posted live from the ship as it was all happening, so, I will keep it brief for those who don't know. I woke up that morning, looked out the window, we were at the pier. I jumped in the shower and when I got out, we were back at sea.

We had left because of bad weather and they scrambled to get out new Compasses with added activities. It was a normal day until I went to get dressed for dinner and turned on CNN. There was Anderson Cooper talking about an earthquake in Haiti and a possible tsunami. Holy ****! I ran out into the hallway and grabbed my cabin steward, Sydney. He knew nothing about it. We just stared at the TV and stared at each other.

I wanted to go back and help, we had food and we had water. Of course, RC had their own ideas and the cruise continued as usual. It was hard going out to have fun and then coming back to the news and seeing talk of a death toll at 250,000.

So, long story short, I was a little nervous about my return to Haiti.

It turns out, I needn't have worried. The weather was beautiful, if you consider walking on the surface of the sun, beautiful.

232323232%7Ffp543%3C2%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A5%3C%3A85348nu0mrj

The view from my cabin to Labadee. Where were we walking from, Fort Lauderdale?

232323232%7Ffp543%3B3%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A7453%3B348nu0mrj

The walk is worth it!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7%3A87%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C96%3B%3B7%3A257ot1lsi

That's me ziplining, can't you tell? :p

232323232%7Ffp543%3A7%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A74542348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A5%3C%3A8%3A348nu0mrj

Did I die from the heat? Am I in heaven?? Did the ship leave without me?

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7384%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C983654257ot1lsi

I must be, my favorite days on a ship are the sea days, then the private islands, then the ports.

232323232%7Ffp734%3B5%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A5%3C%3A%3A%3A348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54373%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A74565348nu0mrj

Ok, time to head back, I think I was out there about 3 minutes!

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A97%3A%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C96%3B%3B%3A%3A257ot1lsi

The Long and Winding road! I know we are docked, but, can you run a tender out to the ship, anyway? Do you see the gap where the lifeboats are? Remember that is where my cabin is, so, I had to walk by one entrance to get to my entrance.

232323232%7Ffp54368%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A935%3B%3B348nu0mrj

The Allure , if it was owned by Carnival.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv93%3A%3A%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C9%3A26%3B4257ot1lsi

Bad taste, I know, I apologize.

I found out that they do outdoor massages on Labadee. I avoid spa treatments due to their outrageous prices but I figured outdoor by the ocean might be nice and I had a coupon. Turned out to be heaven. They use some ruins up a hill (a bit of a hike for me) but once you settle in it is the most relaxing experience. You are high up overlooking the sea and all you hear are waves and the occasional drowning passenger (now I'm just as naughty as you). I was so relaxed and mesmerized by the breezes and ocean sounds that I fell into a nice sleep. Would definitely do that again as opposed to being cooped up in one of those treatment rooms on the ship.

Halfway home! Stop to rest, act like I stopped because I wanted to take a picture.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6%3C6%3A%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C9%3A26%3B6257ot1lsi

Well, then I went back to my cabin to rest. Being 50 is hard work!

I had dinner reservations at 6pm at Sabra's with two couples who were celebrating their anniversaries.

I stole this pic from MADQ because I didn't take one- Thanks, Sherri!

SambaGrillMenu_zps48c1e186.jpg

No, you don't pick which one you want, you eat them all! Nine courses of meat. Dr Atkins must be spinning in his grave (with delight!)

Now, the reservation was for 6, but, after my previous time conundrums with the solos, I thought I should arrive early, just in case my dinner companions would also try to ditch me. (On my birthday :()

I got there at 5:30 and there was a problem. They didn't have a reservation for 5. Well, that made sense, we hadn't linked them, it should be a single and 2 separate couples. No, nothing like that. I said maybe the 4 of them linked and I just don't know it. No, the hostess was eyeing me suspiciously, like I was trying to steal dinner. What is their cabin number? I don't know. What is their last name? I don't know.

At this point, the hostess now had me under video surveillance, just like the woman at the WJ, I'm sure of it. I said, Well, I know what they look like, I'll just wait here for them. While I waited, I took some pics of the food.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5857%3Dot%3E393%3A%3D7%3B3%3D%3C25%3DXROQDF%3E278%3C9%3A26%3B%3A257ot1lsi

Look at those jumbo shrimp!

232323232%7Ffp54368%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A7456%3B348nu0mrj

Nine courses of meat, then dessert? OK!!

232323232%7Ffp54368%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D369%3B%3A93633348nu0mrj

Finally, here comes Elvi and her husband Mannfred, the Germans!

Now, we're getting somewhere because she knows her own cabin number (obviously), she knows the Kiwis cabin number (thankfully) and she can vouch for me that I am not a Haitian who has snuck onto the ship to steal nine courses of meat.

So, they check off her reservation and tell us that the Kiwis are already here, eating! :confused: WHAT?? I have been pacing the floor of that restaurant for half an hour, I would recognize them if they were here! So, Elvi goes off looking for them. The couple who CLAIMS to have their cabin is almost done eating. I hope Marita and her hubby weren't charged twice! :mad:

Now, the Kiwis arrive and we all get settled. I did not take any pics during dinner because now I was with respectable married people, not those silly solos taking pics of their food, what rubes! ;)

Here is what I say about the dinner, it cost $35 per person and I am glad I tried it, once. I would not go here again. I was hellbent that I was going to eat all nine courses, but, everyone else at the table conked out after six. I made it through seven and then threw in the towel. I just didn't care for some of the meats, the sausages, etc, the lamb. (Sorry, Kiwis). The beef tenderloin was to die for and I could have eaten more of that. It was just weird with all that meat and only a little bit of side dishes to go along with it. Of course, we all made room for dessert! :D Finally, it was over and we began to say our goodbyes. Then, from behind me, an unmistakable sound, Happy Birthday to you.....Hell to the No!! Another dessert for my birthday, I am sure at this point, the ship looked like this.

titanic_sinking.jpg

After that, we all waddled away. I went to my cabin for a bit to rest. I tried to get into the Comedy Show that night and 2 others and was turned away all 3 times, people were laughing and pointing (of course they were, it's a comedy show).

So, I hit OceanAria for the third and final time. It was interesting to see the subtle differences as things were put in and taken out. After that, was the Love and Marriage show, which was it's usual hoot! Then, I went to the Cafe Promenade for a late night snack and discovered the love of my life.

232323232%7Ffp54375%3Enu%3D4849%3E6%3C2%3E%3B34%3EWSNRCG%3D3697%3A%3B525%3A348nu0mrj

The Sunflower Seed Granola Bar!! Oh, Sweet Heaven in the palm of your hand!! It is even coated on the bottom in dark chocolate. Pure Heaven. Try one if you haven't already. You'll thank me!!

Now, off to bed because tomorrow was another port day, Falmouth, Jamaica!

They are in school! I'll bet that your cruise had very few children on it.

:)

Actually, there were quite a few. I'm trying not to post a picture of any kids, but, there were a lot.

Wow, that tenderloin looks yummy! :eek: :D

It was pretty good, the shrimp and potato salad was good, very creamy and not too shrimpy!

I found out that they do outdoor massages on Labadee. I was so relaxed and mesmerized by the breezes and ocean sounds that I fell into a nice sleep. Would definitely do that again as opposed to being cooped up in one of those treatment rooms on the ship.

Hmmm, that sounds great, maybe next time!

Hahaha, wow.

Too much? Should I delete it?

Finally, here comes Elvi and her husband Mannfred, the Germans!

Now, we're getting somewhere because she knows her own cabin number (obviously), she knows the Kiwis cabin number (thankfully) and she can vouch for me that I am not a Haitian who has snuck onto the ship to steal nine courses of meat.

So, they check off her reservation and tell us that the Kiwis are already here, eating! :confused: WHAT?? I have been pacing the floor of that restaurant for half an hour, I would recognize them if they were here! So, Elvi goes off looking for them. The couple who CLAIMS to have their cabin is almost done eating. I hope Marita and her hubby weren't charged twice! :mad:

Now, the Kiwis arrive and we all get settled. I did not take any pics during dinner because now I was with respectable married people, not those silly solos taking pics of their food, what rubes!

Here is what I say about the dinner, it cost $35 per person and I am glad I tried it, once. I would not go here again. I was hellbent that I was going to eat all nine courses, but, everyone else at the table conked out after six. I made it through seven and then threw in the towel. I just didn't care for some of the meats, the sausages, etc, the lamb. (Sorry, Kiwis). The beef tenderloin was to die for and I could have eaten more of that. It was just weird with all that meat and only a little bit of side dishes to go along with it. Of course, we all made room for dessert! Finally, it was over and we began to say our goodbyes. Then, from behind me, an unmistakable sound, Happy Birthday to you.....Hell to the No!! Another dessert for my birthday, I am sure at this point, the ship looked like this.

titanic_sinking.jpg

Now, off to bed because tomorrow was another port day, Falmouth, Jamaica!

Thank you Maureen....:cool:

We agree we wouldn't go another time to Sambas Grill.

I have learned during this cruise ( again) that the meal in the MDR is enough for me ( We are early eaters ) and I try ( my whole life :rolleyes: ) to loose weight.

But we 5 had a great evening and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I have made pictures but I must check the x00(0) pictures i have made during 2 week cruise :o

Maybe I will post any...

Elvi ( with Manfred )

Hi Maureen,

I am loving your review. I have a few comments and observations.

Happy 50th birthday to you.

Who every would have thought a person with a cute kitty cat avatar would have such a twisted sense of humor?

I too blame my weight gain to RC and back aches to the flow rider.;)

You can sail solo with us anytime... We too would meet you for dinner but show up early as well:D

You should have kept that mallet for that last extra person who tries to squeeze on the elevator. BANG!

All joking a side, I hope your mom is doing better. I have subscribed to the rest of your review would love to sail with you one day.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont