Kudos to Carnival

JerseyshoreBruce

These threads usually have me running to the nearest 5 Guys before days end.

But they just opened a Smashburger between me an 5 Guys.

Decisions, decisions.....

They just opened a Smashburger by me also and while i have not tried it yet my friends tell me Five Guys Burgers are still better by a little and fries its no contest so while i might try Smashburger someday i will stick with Five Guys...plus peanuts are a added perk:D

And for the record, I didn't like JR's either, except for their shakes. Have never tried one on land.

I've only tried them in the Middle East and they were pretty dang good. Although I guess everyone has their own personal taste.

IMHO Five guys are over priced burgers thou good

Give me an In and Out Burger double double grilled animal style any time over five guys:p

Now back to cruising

Ive eaten at JR's on 4 different RCCL ships and 2 land based in SF.

The JR burger onboard was better than the land based ones:confused:

Now I havnt eaten Guys burger yet, but I do see a Triumph, Magic, or Breeze cruise in my next years planning to compare:o

Guy's burgers state they use 80/20. That's quite fatty, and are rumored to be more than 1100 calories.

80/20 is pretty much the accepted standard for restaurant burgers. Nothing unusual or outrageous about that ratio. Five Guys states the same on their website, and most chefs will tell you they prefer to serve a burger with that ratio as well.

80/20 is pretty much the accepted standard for restaurant burgers. Nothing unusual or outrageous about that ratio. Five Guys states the same on their website, and most chefs will tell you they prefer to serve a burger with that ratio as well.

I agree no fat and they begin to taste too gamey.

Exactly. That's why I'm trying to figure out how an 80/20 JR burger is allegedly greasier than a 80/20 Guys burger.

So I guess you're aware you stood in line to get your burger, and didn't sit and order your burger and have it delivered to your table when it was ready. Correct?

Yes it killed me to stand in that line of 3 or 4 people.......this was no way meant to bash RCCL as i would enjoy a cruise on just about any cruiseline. But i do have a question....Why everytime i see LargeCornGyro is it always in a negative post about Carnival? I have been a member of CC for 7 years and never even looked at any other Forums but Carnivals. If you have a passion for football you would watch any team play....well i have a passion for cruising and just cause i only have cruised Carnival doesn't mean i don't like the other lines. P.S. I could go to the MDR for lunch on Carnival and get served a burger with no service charge thats better then JR's but i chose to get Guy's and stand in a very short line everytime...it was a nice smooth operation.

I'm curious what part of LargeCornGyro's response is negative towards CCL? All I see is someone explaining a reason there is a charge for 1 burger and there isn't for another.

Guy's Burger Joint uses an 80/20 patty. That's a little more greasy than I'm used to when I make burgers at home. I have high hopes for a good tasty burger when I arrive in December.

On a side night I like to take a London Broil and have the butcher grind it up. Has the great making for a great steak burger that goes for only $3-4 per pounds.

Well, then Guy's has to be better than McDonald's, as theirs are only 18% beef...and 82% ??? I've not been overly impressed with Guy's TV show - just another "celebrity" chef in a long line of such shows.....but am willing to try one of his burgers when we sail next week.....

Fortunately, our local base commissary carries 97% lean ground beef, so that's what we're used to at home -- makes eating a burger or anything with ground beef in it at a restaurant a challenge.....

I'm curious what part of LargeCornGyro's response is negative towards CCL? All I see is someone explaining a reason there is a charge for 1 burger and there isn't for another.

None that I can see. Another example of when you can't defend your message, attack the opposing messenger.

Well, then Guy's has to be better than McDonald's, as theirs are only 18% beef...and 82% ??? I've not been overly impressed with Guy's TV show - just another "celebrity" chef in a long line of such shows.....but am willing to try one of his burgers when we sail next week.....

Fortunately, our local base commissary carries 97% lean ground beef, so that's what we're used to at home -- makes eating a burger or anything with ground beef in it at a restaurant a challenge.....

That's us. We buy the 93/7 mix. Less bones and filler. What are those hard things anyway?

So I guess you're aware you stood in line to get your burger, and didn't sit and order your burger and have it delivered to your table when it was ready. Correct?

So sitting at a bar where the cook turns and asks what you want is worth $3.00 compared to standing next to the cook and telling him what you want which is free? I've done both, the service fee on RCCL @ JR is rather ridiculous. How about giving the option to walk in and order a burger (while standing just like on Carnival) and allowing me to leave without the $3.00 service charge? I don't need their song an dance, just a burger.

That's us. We buy the 93/7 mix. Less bones and filler. What are those hard things anyway?

The number is a ratio of lean meat to fat, not bones and filler. There's no bones in chop meat. If you ever get a hard bit it is likely a piece of cartilege (please excuse my spelling), not a ground up gone.

80/20 is usually too greasy for my tastes and they cook down to hockey pucks. At home I use 85/15 or 90/10. There's a great local butcher that will grind up whatever cut of steak you want too, so occasionally that's a nice treat.

Guy's Burger Joint uses an 80/20 patty. That's a little more greasy than I'm used to when I make burgers at home. I have high hopes for a good tasty burger when I arrive in December.

On a side night I like to take a London Broil and have the butcher grind it up. Has the great making for a great steak burger that goes for only $3-4 per pounds.

I use 93/7 ground beef for an excellent burger made at home and only $2.50 a pound.

So sitting at a bar where the cook turns and asks what you want is worth $3.00 compared to standing next to the cook and telling him what you want which is free? I've done both, the service fee on RCCL @ JR is rather ridiculous. How about giving the option to walk in and order a burger (while standing just like on Carnival) and allowing me to leave without the $3.00 service charge? I don't need their song an dance, just a burger.

In neither example would you be tipping the cook.

In the service example, you are tipping the wait staff, who yes, also dance at the top of the hour. :D

I use 93/7 ground beef for an excellent burger made at home and only $2.50 a pound.

At that point i would rather have a steak...i agree 80/20 is a little too much fat but when you get too high you lose that good flavor that comes with the fat......imagine a prime rib with no fat...it would be tasteless. In my opinion.

I've only tried them in the Middle East and they were pretty dang good. Although I guess everyone has their own personal taste.

It also has to do with how the meat is prepared. I'm sure it was kosher or halal in your case (depending on what country you were in). To make it compliant with dietary laws, meat is treated with rock salt to remove all blood, which makes it more moist and flavorful as a result. It's the reason kosher brisket tastes as good as it does; no A1 or barbecue sauce is needed.

you buy a nice steak that has no marbling and compare to one that does. The one that does is much better. Fat makes it taste good

I tried Johnny Rockets probably 6 years ago and hated it. Then a couple of months ago (and a state away) I decided I'd give it another shot. That has to be the most over-rated crappy restaurant ever. It was just as bad this time as before. Well maybe bad isn't the right word, it was okay but no better than McDonald's or Burger King in my book. Certainly not worth the premium price they charge. Give me a 5 Guys burger any day of the week.

*My comments have nothing to do with cruising though. Just a general loathing of Johnny Rockets. I won't eat a guys burger either once I get on a ship that has it since I can't stand him. Every time I see him on my TV I want to cancel my satellite service!

5 Guys? 80/20 hamburger

Sorry I meant 5 Guys Burgers and Fries, the restaurant chain. Over-priced yes, but so is Johnny Rockets and at least 5 Guys' food is good. But food is terribly subjective. I just wanted to clarify my post since it was ambiguous.

Continue the mudslinging ;)

Archived