"Nickel and diming"? Or fairness?

terracool

I read a lot of complaints on NCL boards about being charged for every little thing. I've never sailed anything but NCL, so I don't know if it's better or worse on other mass-passenger lines. But if NCL does do it more, then I'm all for it and will continue to prefer NCL.

I think charging per item is the most fair system, even if it is a little cumbersome to have to sign for everything. But the system does assure that each person pays for what he or she individually uses or consumes - no more, no less, and no under-using passengers paying for over-using passengers.

The cruise line doesn't include alcohol in the ticket price? That's good. Why would a non-drinker or light drinker want to pay for someone else's alcohol? Some cruise lines include shore excursions. I'm about to go on my 3rd cruise, and this one will be all DIY like the last one - so I am not interested in paying a ticket price that includes shore trips. On the other hand, I don't eat dinner in the MDR because I don't care for the intentionally languid pace and also like a nice steak dinner. Should a family who is perfectly fine with the MDR pay more per head so I can have my peace, quiet and steak?

There are still a lot - a LOT - of free things on NCL ships. Shows, art lectures, basketball hoops, scavenger hunts, contests, many food options - lots of things in the mix of what some people do, some don't, everyone pays for, and that may roughly even out. But I am fine with paying for a martini-tasting that I use, not paying for the spa that I don't, and not expecting the spa user to pay for my martini.

In the end, each person pays what amounts to a customized price for their own customized experience. In that light. lines like NCL are really good because they make a huge number of experiences available at a wide variety of prices.

JMHO.

I agree with you. Here's another first page thread on this topic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1928610

That was one of the threads that spurred me to write this one. That one was particularly about the right balance between free and for-pay dining options, and I didn't want to hijack it with a general discussion about whether people prefer an overall system of pay-as-you-go or all inclusive options.

I couldn't agree more, like the OP we don't use a lot of what is offered for pay....not saving money, we just don't do those things. It works out perfectly for us as we get a good price for exactly what we want. We usually get a suite and enjoy the balcony much of the time. We people watch, walk the ship, eat where ever we want when we want, watch the cooking demos, etc and find it is the most relaxing type of vacation. We also don't take many excursions preferring to DIY but if it is somwhere far we opt for at least ship's transportation or at times a full excursion so that we will return to port in time.

I read a lot of complaints on NCL boards about being charged for every little thing. I've never sailed anything but NCL, so I don't know if it's better or worse on other mass-passenger lines. But if NCL does do it more, then I'm all for it and will continue to prefer NCL.

I think charging per item is the most fair system, even if it is a little cumbersome to have to sign for everything. But the system does assure that each person pays for what he or she individually uses or consumes - no more, no less, and no under-using passengers paying for over-using passengers.

The cruise line doesn't include alcohol in the ticket price? That's good. Why would a non-drinker or light drinker want to pay for someone else's alcohol? Some cruise lines include shore excursions. I'm about to go on my 3rd cruise, and this one will be all DIY like the last one - so I am not interested in paying a ticket price that includes shore trips. On the other hand, I don't eat dinner in the MDR because I don't care for the intentionally languid pace and also like a nice steak dinner. Should a family who is perfectly fine with the MDR pay more per head so I can have my peace, quiet and steak?

There are still a lot - a LOT - of free things on NCL ships. Shows, art lectures, basketball hoops, scavenger hunts, contests, many food options - lots of things in the mix of what some people do, some don't, everyone pays for, and that may roughly even out. But I am fine with paying for a martini-tasting that I use, not paying for the spa that I don't, and not expecting the spa user to pay for my martini.

In the end, each person pays what amounts to a customized price for their own customized experience. In that light. lines like NCL are really good because they make a huge number of experiences available at a wide variety of prices.

JMHO.

You are exactly right. Pay for what you use is the most fair system.

Typically, the cries of nickel & diming come from those whose "wants" exceed their "means". Rather than face the real situation, these individuals perfer to deflect blame to the cruise line. It's much the same logic used by people who...since THEY don't see a reason to dine in a specialty restaurant when a "free" restaurant is available...just assume that the cruise line intentionally lowers the quality of the free food to "force" people to pay.

If actual nickel & diming were occuring, then we would be charged for small things that are otherwise required. For example, if NCL told you at the pier that there was a $5 per card fee to get your Stateroom Key Card, then THAT would be nickel & diming. Allowing people to have options and choices is never nickel & diming.

It makes you wonder how these people handle going to the mall where EVERYTHING has a price. :eek::rolleyes:

I could not agree more!! We all have choices on a cruise. When I am paying for a cruise I look at the price as only a room price. We cruise inside for a Caribbean cruise and balcony for a Alaska cruise. As said why should I pay for the amenities for people that are making different choices than myself. I may have only 1 or 2 drinks on a cruise and excursions are a mixed bag. When I pay for an inside room I am usually paying about a $100 a day, where else can you get a hotel room with unlimited food for a week for that price!!:)

Op, I agree. I am also more comfortable paying for the extras as I see fit.

SeasShark is likely correct that many nickel and dime complaints come from those with wants vs means issues.

I think in other cases, one person wants to spend more while their companion is more frugal. Rather than honestly address that issue in a post or review, spender and saver alike feel comfortable blaming the cruiseline for nickel and diming. If the stuff was free, they presumably reason, they have done more. Of course that ignores the fact that the base cruise cost would have been much higher, probably more than the frugal party would stomach.

I agree with pretty much (99%) of what everyone else has posted here. It was nice to see that they have more flavored drinks in the buffet now other then coffee and tea. If I have one gripe, it would be for the charge for orange juice? Is that true, do they charge you for real juice on NCL. I have not cruised yet so I have no first hand knowledge. I did do a lunch tour on the Pearl when she was in Los Angeles a week or so ago and was impressed with the lunch they served.

I agree with pretty much (99%) of what everyone else has posted here. It was nice to see that they have more flavored drinks in the buffet now other then coffee and tea. If I have one gripe, it would be for the charge for orange juice? Is that true, do they charge you for real juice on NCL. I have not cruised yet so I have no first hand knowledge. I did do a lunch tour on the Pearl when she was in Los Angeles a week or so ago and was impressed with the lunch they served.

Juice is provided at no charge during the breakfast meal....when the majority of people would drink it.

Being that it is typically a "breakfast drink", juice is not served during the lunch and dinner meals. However...for the small minority who want juice during these meals, it is made available for a nominal charge. Otherwise, a number of free beverages are provided for everyone.

The logic is that the minority who would want juice during lunch/dinner could still have it and those who don't want it aren't paying for the wide availability of a higher-cost product. I'm sure juice could easily be provided at all meals...the question is "How much more are you willing to pay, so that a small number of other people can have what they want?"

Juice is provided at no charge during the breakfast meal....when the majority of people would drink it.

Being that it is typically a "breakfast drink", juice is not served during the lunch and dinner meals. However...for the small minority who want juice during these meals, it is made available for a nominal charge. Otherwise, a number of free beverages are provided for everyone.

The logic is that the minority who would want juice during lunch/dinner could still have it and those who don't want it aren't paying for the wide availability of a higher-cost product. I'm sure juice could easily be provided at all meals...the question is "How much more are you willing to pay, so that a small number of other people can have what they want?"

If I'm not mistaken, the "fresh squeezed" OJ station was an extra charge at breakfast. Am I wrong? I didn't try it, but that's what I read on here. They certainly have a free orange drink at breakfast that is just like OJ for the non-purists (everyone in my family thought it was OJ..so maybe it was)

If I'm not mistaken, the "fresh squeezed" OJ station was an extra charge at breakfast. Am I wrong? I didn't try it, but that's what I read on here. They certainly have a free orange drink at breakfast that is just like OJ for the non-purists (everyone in my family thought it was OJ..so maybe it was)

Yes, they charge for "fresh squeezed" OJ. I've never had a problem with the "free" OJ, so I've never felt the need to pay for the other.

Fresh squeezed juice is an up-charge at breakfast.

It did strike me as a bit petty that the juice machines in the buffet were switched off from the juice drinks after breakfast. Not all of us like iced tea (Ugh!)

Also (IIRC) the bean grinding coffee machine in the buffet was only available at breakfast.

JMHO.

Like!

And no complaints from me.

JMHO.

I agree 100%! I personally don't want to pay for someone else's booze, spa treatments or excursions. I can choose to pay for what I want to do and be satisfied with that. If I want it to be all-inclusive, then I have to be willing to cough up even bigger bucks for that cruise.

I absolutely agree with the OP. I was also quite amused about the comments of the "people watcher" who liked to see the squirming of passengers who lose track of what they're buying, like that never happens with a credit card ;). Personally I pay for most of what I'm doing the first day out, UBP, spa, excursions etc. then I only have to pay for a few souvenirs (very few lol) and a few pay dinners as the mood strikes. If you set a budget and stick to it there are no surprises. :)

Op, I agree. I am also more comfortable paying for the extras as I see fit.

SeasShark is likely correct that many nickel and dime complaints come from those with wants vs means issues.

I think in other cases, one person wants to spend more while their companion is more frugal. Rather than honestly address that issue in a post or review, spender and saver alike feel comfortable blaming the cruiseline for nickel and diming. If the stuff was free, they presumably reason, they have done more. Of course that ignores the fact that the base cruise cost would have been much higher, probably more than the frugal party would stomach.

I always figured it was the people who came from a luxury cruise line to a mass market line. I've never had a problem with anything I've eaten on a NCL ship or even the one CCL ship I was on. Very rarely do I go to a speciality restaurant and even then I probably got it as part of a booking deal. My other thought is maybe they're people who cruised back in the days of smaller ships versus the larger ships. There's a big difference between cooking for 2000 and 4000+...

I totally agree. My last bill included the spa for DS and myself (almost $500) and some drinks, souvenirs, etc. Mother had none of these things. Our total bill was over $800 - her bill was $80.

Should she pay for unlimited access of things she has no interet in so that people can think they are getting everything? No way! And if you look at the other mass market lines, they have followed NCL's lead.

when that phrase gets dropped here and there, "nickel and dimed"...I always wondered what they were referring to.....

specialty restaurants.....

I kinda like them, actually look forward to them.....

I think you may have something here :eek:

We just did a 15 to Hawaii, on Carnival, and during more than one conversation. There were a few very heated conversation's from some of the Carnival regular's about How they would never cruise with NCL, " because you have to pay to eat at all the Restaurant's " because that is what they heard from friend's. Ya right ? :mad:

Having sailed with NCL, all of us know this is untrue. :rolleyes:

Also (IIRC) the bean grinding coffee machine in the buffet was only available at breakfast.

FYI--On both the Pearl (May 2012) and the Jewel (July 2013) the bean grinding coffee machine in the buffet near the Great Outdoors was available all day long.

I've been on 4 major cruise lines and the up charges are the same on all of them. There may be a dollar difference here or there, but all in all, they're all the same.

Archived