*Which* Alaska Cruise, summer 2014?

GeezerCouple

We had planned to take the June 7th Alaska cruise (Vancouver - Seattle), in part because of the date, and in part because of the specific itinerary. We want to see as much of the GLACIERS as possible ;-)

Now we find that there might be a conflict, and we might need to try to find a different date for the trip, although this isn't yet definite.

Which itinerary would have the best likelihood of seeing glaciers, from the ship especially?

This is our first chance to see any part of Alaska, and we'll probably be back and add additional time on land.

(There were a few itineraries on larger ships/other lines that looked good, but we aren't eager to spend much time on those unless it can't be avoided.)

We were planning this as the first of several trips on Oceania. (We already have the second one reserved for next winter, on the Riviera - can't wait!)

Many thanks!

GeezerCouple

First I love Oceana,

but in the Alaska market Holland America has it wired and one of the coveted Glacier Bay National Park permits that Oceana does not have and you will miss.:o Princess,Carnival and Holland are the exclusive owners of those permits. Only Holland offers the small ship 1400 experience

In Alaska it is port intensive and Holland had pioneered the Alaska cruise Oceana just started and in the new kid on the block. Better food, better ships, classy operation on Oceana.

For the region ,however, no one is going to beat Holland , sorry its just the reality. Its a port intensive cruise and Holland has the piers, tours, access and permits all dialed in for 20 years. New comers need not apply

May and June will be filled with snow covered mountains and pure white and Majestic.

July -August it melts and gets warmer and the Alaska Airforce is in service ( 100 Trillion black flies, No-seeums and Mosquitos mount their offensive) All eager to meet you...

Flowers are at their peak beginning of August-September.

Late August September brings the salmon run, Fall colors, and a first frost which kills off the bugs. Bears are the most active preparing for winter ( which starts in October) The first week in September often brings the best weather, most color and wildlife... and crowds and Kids are often absent.

I have worked for the NPS and been on several cruises on several lines.

Your call.....Ask yourself what am I going to Alaska to do, eat, explore, see what? Ice, Wild life?

The majesty of Alaska and it's best attractions cannot be seen from a cruise ship. We saw Hubbard Glacier for a few hours on our Holland America cruise. That was it.

If you really want to see Alaska, fly to Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Denali National Park area, then down to Kenai Fjords National Park area. You will see the best of the Alaska range and the Gulf of Alaska sealife, and plenty of glaciers. I have extensive photos of glaciers while we flew around Mt. McKinley and landed on the glacier where base camp is set. Walked on Portage Glacier and Exit Glacier on the Kenai Peninsula. Saw tons of sealife on a day cruise with a National Park ranger. Stayed in some very nice hotels, and saw some of Alaska "up close and personal."

On the cruise, the ships in port disgorged 6,000+ passengers on a few tiny towns and everyone ran for the jewelry and souvenir shops. That was not the Alaska we experienced on our first, land trip.

The majesty of Alaska and it's best attractions cannot be seen from a cruise ship. We saw Hubbard Glacier for a few hours on our Holland America cruise. That was it.

If you really want to see Alaska, fly to Anchorage, rent a car and drive to Denali National Park area, then down to Kenai Fjords National Park area. You will see the best of the Alaska range and the Gulf of Alaska sealife, and plenty of glaciers. I have extensive photos of glaciers while we flew around Mt. McKinley and landed on the glacier where base camp is set. Walked on Portage Glacier and Exit Glacier on the Kenai Peninsula. Saw tons of sealife on a day cruise with a National Park ranger. Stayed in some very nice hotels, and saw some of Alaska "up close and personal."

On the cruise, the ships in port disgorged 6,000+ passengers on a few tiny towns and everyone ran for the jewelry and souvenir shops. That was not the Alaska we experienced on our first, land trip.

There are many takes on what the" real" anyplace is. It is dependent on each person.

Some may like roughing it and others sipping chardonnay on a hotel porch; my great , thus might be your bad. Like tent campers criticizing people in RV's because they are doing things differently. and cant possibly be enjoying nature as well as they are.

Visiting Alaska and Hawaii for the first time is best done by ship. I say this having gone to Alaska both ways and as A NPS naturalist. The ship wins hands down.

You will , in a careful sequence of stops you get a chance to see the best bits and make the personal decision as to what is important to you.

Until you see a series of ports and can compare one to the next and see just what it is that strikes you... no one else....you will never really know.

As far as costs, a cruise to discover Alaska will cost far, far less than flying to Alaska and getting around driving. Too, in sailing to Alaska like the stampeeders did to the Yukon is as much about discovery as it is anticipation that air travel can not achieve...ever.

Almost every port in Alaska and Hawaii will have a National Park visitor center and ranger programs that whisk you away from the shopping malls if you choose.... and get in touch with nature and the land in rapid fashion. Sitka, Juneau ,Ketchikan ,Skagway Seward,

Tremendous options await in each port.. from hiking to ice climbing, Riding a dog sled, catching fish, observing whales and bears.. are mere minutes from the pier, past the Diamond stores and Tee shirt sales. It is there if you want it.

Have done several cruises( living in Vancouver) and by far the Princess 14 night back to back from Vancouver was the most outstanding cruise ever .We did it during the summer solstice, able to be on deck at midnight, close to the glaciers with small fishing boats in clear view. I cannot begin to describe the beauty of this sight. We spent a fabulous day in Glacier Bay as well as Collage fiord which was spectualar. So Holland America has certainly NOt captured the market. My Princess cruises to Alaska with both Holland and Princess, I have to say Princess has them all beat. Celebrity is not allowed into Glacier Bay because of previous dumping waste allegation. I am not sure if that is true but nevertheless they are not allowed there. My recommendation is Princess.. Will never forget standing on deck at midnight with the blue light of the glaciers in Collage fiord with small fishing boats in the distance. It was amazing.

Oceana , with all due respect is not the line to cruise in Alaska Pincess as described or Holland is the best way to go.

to Alaska a number of times...easy for us because we live on the "left" coast. We have been on Princess and Celebrity to this area...and my choice...if I were doing a "land" tour...would be Princess. While we love X...and sail her more often than Princess....if the land tour comes into play I would say Princess. Now...we just didn't do this yesterday...but at least several years ago...Princess had it "down pat" re the train/rooms/food/transfers etc. At least at that time...Princess was the only company who owned their own hotels...and, while certainly not "over the top" they were very nice... If you are not doing a "land tour" ...then I would take a look...as you said...at your areas of interest re the Glacier areas. I hope you have a wonderful time....as it is a very special part of the world...whatever you decide!!! LuAnn

to Alaska a number of times...easy for us because we live on the "left" coast. We have been on Princess and Celebrity to this area...and my choice...if I were doing a "land" tour...would be Princess. While we love X...and sail her more often than Princess....if the land tour comes into play I would say Princess. Now...we just didn't do this yesterday...but at least several years ago...Princess had it "down pat" re the train/rooms/food/transfers etc. At least at that time...Princess was the only company who owned their own hotels...and, while certainly not "over the top" they were very nice... If you are not doing a "land tour" ...then I would take a look...as you said...at your areas of interest re the Glacier areas. I hope you have a wonderful time....as it is a very special part of the world...whatever you decide!!! LuAnn

THe Princess and Holland are going to deliver in spades. Glacier Bay is king and next is Hubbard. but require NPS permits. Tracy Arm is where all the ships go that can not get into the prime time spots. The denied ships all pretend that this is a great place....it is ok but nowhere near the aforementioned.

If Sailing to Alaska make sure or look for Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, and College Fjord. Princess and Holland DO both.. the others do not go...can not go.

Out of Ketchican the best trip is to Fjord Land National Mon by float plane, In Juneau, the helo to the Glacier for either a hike or dog sled, IN Skagway the White Pass railroad.

In Sitka...Halibut fishing or the National Park.

Use caution in the made up port of Icy Straits... St Thomas comes to Alaska on an Indian reservation.

Pick you ports wisely, Find a ship which does the best combo. Alaska is not about the ship...it is about the ports. Thus you can have as good a time on Carnival as Regent if they have the ports.:o

We sailed Alaska with Princess and really enjoyed it. We went with some friends of ours and had balcony rooms next to each other. The steward unlocked the partition between the balconies and we spent several afternoons sipping beverages on our balconies and watching the scenery together.

In Juneau, we took a helicopter up to a glacier and hiked, this was a trip highlight. In Skagway, I think it was, we rented a car and took off on a scenic drive, which was lovely and filled with tons of photo ops, and lots of wildlife including a roadside bear. Met some interesting locals that day also.

Of all the ships that are able to visit Glacier Bay, the best experience is on Coral or Island Princess.

These ships have far greater numbers of outdoor viewing areas (full promenade deck, 2 forward public balconies, 4 aft public balconies, plus of course the usual areas on the top decks). This is critical for glacier viewing, because you can move around the ship to see views from all angles. And because they are "smaller" ships [for a mass market cruise line] you will never feel crowded.

Not true.

NCL also goes to Glacier Bay. Also Lindblad. Also American Cruise Lines.

Also Crystal whenever Crystal does Alaska or returns to the U.S. via the Aleutians.

I was consolidating as the discussion was geared to what were or are the alternatives to Oceana . With the focus on the best in my opinion Princess and Holland. NCL/and Carnival as well as the others were beyond my focus. Lindblad and American are super small and more of expedition ships and are really not a cruise ship in the sense of all the nice stuff that is offered on larger ships.

In glacier bay and natural preserve, all ships, large or small will have NPS Ranger naturalists and staff on board for the day giving talks and roaming the deck.

I don't usually post, but I had to add to this conversation.

If you want a small ship experience that will include Glacier Bay, than you may want to consider Princess Cruise Line's ship, Pacific Princess. This is an R-class ship that will have around 680 passengers.

If you want a pre-cruise or post-cruise Alaska land package along with a 7-night cruise, then Princess is the way to go.

Terry

Archived