Carnival Pride to stay in Baltimore?

Ship's Wake

The Aida ship isn’t based in Tampa… it is just visiting it as a port of call. From what I understand the Carnival ship needs scrubbers and the ship doesn’t have it. With the Vista arriving don’t be surprised for some move arounds. They defiantly will return to Maryland soon.

The Aida ship isn’t based in Tampa… it is just visiting it as a port of call. From what I understand the Carnival ship needs scrubbers and the ship doesn’t have it. With the Vista arriving don’t be surprised for some move arounds. They defiantly will return to Maryland soon.

Adding the scrubbers is costly and not somethingthat is done on the fly. You would have to define soon.

This is not correct according to the local media. Tampa will be the embarcation and replenishment port. Thus for these cruises Tampa is the homeport and base of operations. Germans will have the option of flying in to Tampa or Orlando.

Someof these cruises will be 21 day trips.

Some Aida ships have had Tampa as port of call on voyages out of Miami.

This is not correct according to the local media. Tampa will be the embarcation and replenishment port. Thus for these cruises Tampa is the homeport and base of operations. Germans will have the option of flying in to Tampa or Orlando.

Someof these cruises will be 21 day trips.

Some Aida ships have had Tampa as port of call on voyages out of Miami.

If this is true I apologize. I thought in another thread it showed that it's only a stop and that the article was a mistake. Good for Tampa. I am sure carnival can compete. Seems carnival may need more ships with the one moving to Australia!

Edit: for evidence of not porting there I present this. http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/german-cruise-ships-will-visit-tampa-but-not-be-based-there/2149886

Anyone with other info please let us know.

Edited by Justyman87

The need for a scrubber, or the alternative of burning low sulfur diesel fuel, is not dependent on whether or not a ship home ports in the US or not. This EPA requirement applies to EVERY SHIP, of every country, of every type (passenger, cargo, tanker) that enters the 200 mile limit around the US. So if the Aida ship does not have a scrubber, then it is changing to burning low sulfur fuel when it is within 200 miles of the US coast.

Carnival has committed to install scrubber on 32 ships across Carnival, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Cunard at a cost of $180 million.

Yes, but the problem is that unlike RCI and NCL, they are not starting to install the scrubbers until after the new emissions regulations take place.

Everything that I have read indicates RCI and NCL haven't installed scrubbers on any ship yet. They have new builds that will start sailing in 2015 that have scrubbers.

Liberty OTS has had a scrubber since 2012, Independence OTS has a scrubber, I think installed earlier this year. NCL's Pride of America had scrubbers installed in March.

Still a major question to me is which article is right… those that say home-porting or those that say it’s a port of call? Either way, it won’t effect Carnival, they have there own way of doing things. For the scrubbers I was unaware that all ships needed them, not bad for Carnival to wait and do it. To me it is like the airline business, you have low coast carries and then legacy carriers. Carnival is a low coast carry but still brings cruise ship love to me!

Did you get notification about your Nov. 2014 cruise being canceled?

My booking on the Pride for the last cruise out of Baltimore on Nov 30, 2014 was cancelled last week. I was soooo disappointed. The cruise started in Baltimore (close to home) and ended in San Juan. I was planning to rent a car and spend an extra couple of days after the cruise exploring Puerto Rico....away from San Juan. That's not happening now.

As a replacement, I booked a cruise for Nov 2014 on the Breeze. They gave me the same rates I had on the Pride plus $100 obc.

My booking on the Pride for the last cruise out of Baltimore on Nov 30, 2014 was cancelled last week. I was soooo disappointed. The cruise started in Baltimore (close to home) and ended in San Juan. I was planning to rent a car and spend an extra couple of days after the cruise exploring Puerto Rico....away from San Juan. That's not happening now.

As a replacement, I booked a cruise for Nov 2014 on the Breeze. They gave me the same rates I had on the Pride plus $100 obc.

We were "in the same ship" (Nov 2014 Cancelled Pride) and are trying to to figure our replacement booking.

The $100 onboard credit is kind of nice.

But how did your rate from your Pride booking compare to the going rate for the Breeze? Did you luck out? Was there a nice savings?

We were "in the same ship" (Nov 2014 Cancelled Pride) and are trying to to figure our replacement booking.

But how did your rate from your Pride booking compare to the going rate for the Breeze? Did you luck out? Was there a nice savings?

We had two cabins, and rebooked on the Pride same week out of Tampa. We saved $5 per person on the 8J balcony, and $50 pp on the 4B inside.

Still a major question to me is which article is right… those that say home-porting or those that say it’s a port of call? Either way, it won’t effect Carnival, they have there own way of doing things. For the scrubbers I was unaware that all ships needed them, not bad for Carnival to wait and do it. To me it is like the airline business, you have low coast carries and then legacy carriers. Carnival is a low coast carry but still brings cruise ship love to me!

All ships DO NOT need scrubbers. All ships must meet the emissions requirements EITHER by installing scrubbers OR burning the much higher priced low sulfur diesel fuel. Ships worldwide are allowed to burn heavy fuel oil with a 3.5% sulfur content. Currently, when entering into the US ECA (emissions control area), all ships must switch to heavy fuel oil with a 1% sulfur content. As of January 2015, all ships in the US ECA must switch to a fuel with 0.1% sulfur content, and the only fuels available at this time that meet this sulfur content is low sulfur diesel oil. This diesel fuel costs 50-70% more than the heavy fuel. Ships that install scrubbers may actually return to burning the 3.5% sulfur fuel and still meet the emissions requirements. For a ship like the Pride of America, which spends its entire time in the US ECA, the payback period (paying the cost of the scrubber using the savings in fuel cost) is around 3 years. What has also cost Carnival is that RCI has been given exemptions for ships that do not have scrubbers, since RCI has ponied up the money to test the real life effectiveness of the scrubbers BEFORE the imposed limits take effect in 2015.

We saved $190 per person in the cruise rate on the Breeze for an 8N Balcony, but now we have to pay for round-trip airfare to Miami instead of one-way from San Juan to Baltimore. Not sure how that will work out.

Edited by FourTerriers

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForSharonB

We saved $190 per person in the cruise rate on the Breeze for an 8N Balcony, but now we have to pay for round-trip airfare to Miami instead of one-way from San Juan to Baltimore. Not sure how that will work out.

We had two cabins, and rebooked on the Pride same week out of Tampa. We saved $5 per person on the 8J balcony, and $50 pp on the 4B inside.

Thanks... I'm thinking about switching to The Breeze. Just trying to figure if there's and advantage to booking while I'm on The Pride in 2 weeks. I hope when I book onboard I'll still get the $100 OBC from the cancelation, as well as the OBC for booking onboard. Thanks!

Just so everyone knows... Carnival was told they were going to get hit with a huge increase in port fees (i.e., taxes) that were being imposed by the state. They made the decision to move out. Though I too will miss having Baltimore as a home port (since I live here), I do understand their reasoning behind this.