GRAND PRINCESS - Where to eat when boarding

mrav8tr

The buffet will be busy. Try the International Cafe on the Plaza deck midship. Lots of people don't realize at first that it is free, so might not be so busy on embarkation day. They have salads, soup, sandwiches and great desserts. You also have the option of Alfredos - the pizza place in the same area as the IC.

Another vote for the International Café. When sailing Princess we rarely go to the buffet for lunch. Between the International Café, Trident Grill and pool side pizza, lunch is covered very nicely!

Another vote for the International Café. When sailing Princess we rarely go to the buffet for lunch. Between the International Café, Trident Grill and pool side pizza, lunch is covered very nicely!

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I don't think people want to see a new one about lunch on board. ;)

I wasn't sure what we would do when we board Pacific Princess. We'll be boarding after 2pm, so dining room is out. There is no International Cafe. I still don't know if they keep the buffet open on this ship constantly or if there are shut down periods (it is a small ship). I also don't know how late they keep open the Grill or Pizza on these ships. I would love to have pizza for dinner one night on the cruise, but I suspect it will be closed in the evenings.

I think we can order room service the first day if need be. So that could be another option for the OP too. Or perhaps pre-order snacks for the room through the princess website?

My Mom and sister are boarding the Grand Princess today and are planning to go eat once they board. Is there a better restaurant than not to eat at that won't be busy? Thanks!
You are not on CC as I post this. If you see this before you board, on the Grand your choices are:

• Horizon Court Buffet (food, food, food, but crowded and noisy) - Deck 14
  • Prego Pizzeria (take away pizza by the slice) and Trident Grill (burgers, hot dogs, etc.) - Deck 14
  • Da Vinci Dining Room - Deck 6 - from 12:00 to 1:30 - check the Patter to confirm which DR is open - this will be the quietest place to eat - there will be a full menu with appetizers, salad, soup, entrees and desserts
  • International Cafe - Deck 5 - this is really a counter where you pick up food to eat at seating in the Piazza or take elsewhere - there are many salads and sandwiches as well as a soup of the day and desserts, desserts, desserts!
  • Alfredo's Pizzeria - Deck 5 - sit down pizzeria with choice of five pizzas - pick up salad from from the IC to have with you pizza - this should also be a fairly quiet are.

Thanks all so much for the quick response. I will have time to pass on to sister before she boards! Thanks!

On some boardings I have had staff members not know that the Main Dining Room is open, and have tried to steer me towards the buffet. If you really want to have a "served" lunch then check your patter and/or ask multiple staff members until you find out which dining room is open.

Having a "served" first lunch on board is one of our traditions. They usually stop service in the MDR at 1:30 PM, so it is worth getting on as early as you can.

We received today an email from Princess welcoming us to our upcoming cruise (on Crown).

Several points of interest are mentioned, among them is a statement to have lunch the first day at either the buffet or one of the restaurants.:)

We received today an email from Princess welcoming us to our upcoming cruise (on Crown).

Several points of interest are mentioned, among them is a statement to have lunch the first day at either the buffet or one of the restaurants.:)

That has been in the pre cruise e-mail for quite a while now, but staff often directs people to the HC anyway.

Archived