Stargazing on the Westerdam

VUCruiser

Are there any good/dark spots on the Westerdam for stargazing? Some corner where the ship's lights are pretty well kept at bay? One ship we were on (wish i could recall which) had a dedicated area on the highest deck that was sheltered from light but we have not found that to be the case in most situations.

Are there any good/dark spots on the Westerdam for stargazing? Some corner where the ship's lights are pretty well kept at bay? One ship we were on (wish i could recall which) had a dedicated area on the highest deck that was sheltered from light but we have not found that to be the case in most situations.

I'll be on her over Thanksgiving week and will try to remember to look for such a place and let you know. :)

Hi...I love the night sky, too and will also be looking for that sweet spot for stargazing! Sailing this Saturday - YAY!

I will never forget how much I looked forward to watching the stars at sea on our very first cruise, and my tremendous disappointment at the inescapable light pollution on the Carnival Triumph. Mind you, it was the only disappointing aspect, so I got over it.

I am into observational astronomy and tried to view stars from a vista-class ship (like the Westerdam). The darkest place for star gazing turned out to be our stateroom balcony. Just about any public deck will have outdoor lighting.

igraf

Edited by igraf

I am into observational astronomy and tried to view stars from a vista-class ship (like the Westerdam). The darkest place for star gazing turned out to be our stateroom balcony. Just about any public deck will have outdoor lighting.

igraf

Is there an area that is open below the Bridge that would be kept dark?

It used to be you could find a good spot to look at the stars, but I haven't been able to find one on any of my cruises over the last 10 years or so. I'll be on the Westerdam in March, so I'm looking forward to hearing an answer to this question.

Outdoor deck lighting will occasionally be turned off for special events like viewing the aurora, but generally some sort of outdoor lighting is always present for safety.

igraf

Is there an area that is open below the Bridge that would be kept dark?

Or up on top of the Crow's Nest? Do they keep that string of lights from bow to stern on while at sea, or just in port? I don't remember.

I don't think the string of lights is on when they sail. That might be the darkest spot on the ship.

Years ago I got up at 3am or something to see the Persiods (?) meteor shower in Nov. the back deck facing away from the ship or your own balcony are going to be the best places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Please report back and let us know how you liked the Westie. I sail on her in Feb and it's my first time on her, 3rd cruise on HAL and I'd really appreciate your input.

Hi...I love the night sky, too and will also be looking for that sweet spot for stargazing! Sailing this Saturday - YAY!

I will never forget how much I looked forward to watching the stars at sea on our very first cruise, and my tremendous disappointment at the inescapable light pollution on the Carnival Triumph. Mind you, it was the only disappointing aspect, so I got over it.

• 2 weeks later...

After our week on the Westerdam, I have to say that our balcony was the best star-gazing spot I found. We had numerous clear nights, only one really overcast, actually, and the early morning hours were the absolute best. (2:30 am and onward)

Light pollution is rampant where I live and we get the one-dimensional night sky effect. It was a thrill to have a real sense of depth when watching the stars, not to mention that there are so many more visible. I only wish I could have stayed up longer and watched more, but the motion of the ship along with the comfy bed kept luring me back indoors and under the covers.

I do wish that balcony cabins provided occupants with a polite request to turn off their exterior lights when they are not required, though! I could see the stars from my bed, but only when the passengers 2 doors down were considerate enough to turn off their light.

As for the Westerdam, we found the crew amazing, and the ship was absolutely immaculate. It was a relaxing week, at a very reasonable price, and we enjoyed the new experiences of the Culinary Arts presentations and the Digital Workshop. Overall though, the HAL experience was not the best fit for us.

After our week on the Westerdam, I have to say that our balcony was the best star-gazing spot I found. We had numerous clear nights, only one really overcast, actually, and the early morning hours were the absolute best. (2:30 am and onward)

Light pollution is rampant where I live and we get the one-dimensional night sky effect. It was a thrill to have a real sense of depth when watching the stars, not to mention that there are so many more visible. I only wish I could have stayed up longer and watched more, but the motion of the ship along with the comfy bed kept luring me back indoors and under the covers.

I do wish that balcony cabins provided occupants with a polite request to turn off their exterior lights when they are not required, though! I could see the stars from my bed, but only when the passengers 2 doors down were considerate enough to turn off their light.

As for the Westerdam, we found the crew amazing, and the ship was absolutely immaculate. It was a relaxing week, at a very reasonable price, and we enjoyed the new experiences of the Culinary Arts presentations and the Digital Workshop. Overall though, the HAL experience was not the best fit for us.

What cabin did you have?

Didja think about calling them and asking them to turn the light off? ;)

We were in cabin 8132, and while directly below the Lido deck, the lights above were not a problem.

In retrospect I should have slipped a note under the door of the cabin where the light appeared. It was never on before we went to bed, only in the middle of the night...maybe it was "mood lighting" of some kind....

• 3 weeks later...

Back from the Westerdam yesterday. Did a walk around the upper decks as well as where ever I could see the sky.

1. The Oberservation Deck on deck 11 forward gives one of the most unimpeded views of the sky on the ship. There are several low-level white lights illuminating the deck about 2 feet off the deck. It really seemed dark up there but I'm not sure how they would impact viewing.

2. Likewise, the Volleyball and Basketball Courts on the Sports Dec on deck 11 aft give a great view of the sky, but have nets all around them and are better lit than the Observation Deck is.

3. Sea View Pool is too well lit to see any but the brightest objects.

4. Generally, the bow of the ship is not accessible. You may be able to talk to someone about access for a special occassion, I was told. Not sure about the lighting there though.

5. Promenade is too well lit and offers limited lines of sight unless you move about a lot.

6. We had a aft wrap balcony (6177) which offered a view with little light so long as neighbors weren't using their balconies or leaving lights on. Line of sight was very good so long as the aft (in our case) starboard side of the ship had the sky I wanted to see.

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a wonderful trip on the Westerdam and am still drafting a review to post. On the star gazing issue though...We had good luck on Deck 10-Observation Deck. Several nights the wind was really strong but on others it was very calm, we could lay on the deck lounger and see many stars. Still not dark enough to see the depths of the sky that one would like, but still a nice way to spend some time. Also the observation area has a plexi glass wind break which is unfortunate as you cannot then look out over the ocean without that interference.

The balcony was OK, too. we were on deck 5 so the ship's light reflected off the ocean quite a bit at that level. Would agree with other posters, that with the light on the ship, you cannot find a great spot, but we found Deck 10 and our balcony our best shots. Shame the bow is not open and that deck 10 has the plexi glass barriers.

• 2 months later...

We just got back from the Westerdam. We were in VD Cabin 4166 and could see the stars so clearly and brightly. We'd sit outside and name the constellations. I don't know if it was our location or if it's because this ship doesn't have all the things other ships have........outdoor movie screen, water slides....things that make it brighter at night, but we had no problem at all see the beautiful stars at night. You could almost reach out and touch them.

Since joining CC in 2007 I remember many post with this question. Search is still down.

I remember one CC member state that they came upon some unexpected encounters up there while stargazing.

I remember a RC member telling me on a TA that I could see the curve of the earth. Looked flat to me.

On some cruises it was darker and better viewing on top deck versus balcony. Some ships more light than others.

I have walked up to top deck on several cruises. Better views than from balcony but different ships and lighting on every occasion.

For many of us the best part is just being on a cruise ship at sea.

So advice is to explore and find out the best area and by old rumor you may see stars and more.:)

Edited by aliaschief

A few years back I took a weekend cruise on a local Tallship (replica of a mid 1800's revenue cutter) and one of the most memorable views around the end of our watch was of the Big Dipper through the rigging. How many people alive today have seen that?

( oh, and to add to that, most of us saw the green flash at the end of the first watch. Very cool.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser