How did you like the food on Royal Princess?

Catnap All Day

I am so excited to be getting on the RP in two weeks.

Anyone who has been on her, can you tell me if you enjoyed the daily buffets and the Pastry Shop? What foods did you enjoy the most?

Celebrity Cruises had these waffles, cream, and fruit compote at breakfast, and I would love if Princess had something similar. I still miss that dish!

We were on the Royal in July and thought the food was the best we have had on Princess. We ate mostly in the main dining room, the International cafe and Alfredo's (don't miss this wonderful spot!!). We didn't eat many meals in the horizon Court as I tend to overeat in buffets, but what we did we loved. A huge improvement from the other ships and never a problem finding a seat!

We got off the Royal today. I thought the menus, food, and pastries to be about the same as any other Princess cruise I have been on. It was all good, but I don't recall anything that I haven't seen before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

I was on the maiden voyage of the Royal Princess in June and greatly enjoyed the food. We had dinner each night in the dining room and usually dined at the Horizon Court for breakfast and lunch. Yes, I liked the Pastry Shop. There is a great selection and there are always staff members who keep this area looking wonderful. Also, we had lunch at Alfredo's one day (geat pizza). Overall, I think the Royal Princess offers excellent dining options.

Chuck

Just to add that the vast selection of ethnic food in HC was amazing--almost to the point of being confusing! Everything I tried was delicious.

Can you explain a little further when you say "ethnic?"

As much as so many people claim they do not like English food, I am part English descent, so I love so-called "bland" dishes.

Can you tell me if they ever had fish and chips and malt vinegar? Some good roasts?

My husband and I only eat out about twice a year because I am a housewife that happily cooks from scratch at home, but I have never been able to perfect a good fried, breaded fish.

The HC had English breakfast options every morning, beans, tomato, etc. The evenings I had dinner there several carving stations with chicken, fish and roasts were available including a huge steamship round which I thought was the best beef on the ship. I was also amazed at the variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and salad fixings in the HC.

The highlight for me was the addition of the expanded Alfredo's to the Royal. The geeen salad was exceptional, as were the starter-size pastas. The atmosphere was very nice too.

We ate in the Symphony dining room most nights with the fabulous Leo as our waiter. All our special requests were granted including a bowl of anchovies and one of crumbled blue cheese on the table each evening and the goat-cheese souffle the last evening when it was not on the menu. I purchased a wine package and it worked out very well, paying the difference if you wanted a more expensive bottle.

I definitely had no complaints about the food on the Royal.

Can you explain a little further when you say "ethnic?"

As much as so many people claim they do not like English food, I am part English descent, so I love so-called "bland" dishes.

Can you tell me if they ever had fish and chips and malt vinegar? Some good roasts?

My husband and I only eat out about twice a year because I am a housewife that happily cooks from scratch at home, but I have never been able to perfect a good fried, breaded fish.

The Horizon Court has a variety of Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, Thai and/or other ethnic food in woks in one section every day at lunch and some times at dinner. In the Horizon Bistro, there's a hibachi area with grilled food.

There's a pub lunch every sea day. Can't remember where it was held but they have fish 'n chips, etc.

Being that food is a very subjective issue, here is my two cents. Food in the HC was terrible. Hot food was never hot (remember flamers, I said "Subjective"). We only ate in the MDR once but found the food to be very good. We did however order several nights of MDR food for our suite. Food delivered was also very good. Food in Sabatini's and the CG was very good to excellent. Alfredo's was the bomb. I love the expanded menu. Franco the headwaiter also made it a great place for lunch and/or dinner.....:):):)

Bob

Hi All

Lobster on Princess is not the same as a few years ago

The Royal had lobster in a new sauce which l think helped however some did not like it

The jumbo shrimp served with lobster was very nice

When l ate in the Crown Grill l had the steamed fish served in a bag anyone else try this

As a side order l requested lobster tail waiter brought 10

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

The evenings I had dinner there several carving stations with chicken, fish and roasts were available including a huge steamship round which I thought was the best beef on the ship. I was also amazed at the variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and salad fixings in the HC.

The highlight for me was the addition of the expanded Alfredo's to the Royal. The geeen salad was exceptional, as were the starter-size pastas. The atmosphere was very nice too.

We ate in the Symphony dining room most nights with the fabulous Leo as our waiter.

I definitely had no complaints about the food on the Royal.

I am looking forward to that roast. I am also big on salads. I hear nothing but good things about Alfredo's.

The Horizon Court has a variety of Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, Thai and/or other ethnic food in woks in one section every day at lunch and some times at dinner. In the Horizon Bistro, there's a hibachi area with grilled food.

There's a pub lunch every sea day. Can't remember where it was held but they have fish 'n chips, etc.

It sounds like there will be a good variety of foods I have never tasted. Looking forward to the fish and chips. Thanks.

Being that food is a very subjective issue, here is my two cents. Food in the HC was terrible. Hot food was never hot (remember flamers, I said "Subjective"). We only ate in the MDR once but found the food to be very good. We did however order several nights of MDR food for our suite. Food delivered was also very good. Food in Sabatini's and the CG was very good to excellent. Alfredo's was the bomb. I love the expanded menu. Franco the headwaiter also made it a great place for lunch and/or dinner.....:):):)

Bob

I read your thorough review on another thread. I guess I need to keep a level head as I get excited about the ship feasts. Glad you found some options you enjoyed.

Some random food related comments:

HC had an abundance of interesting and attractive options but I didn't like most of what I sampled and many were way too salty. The salad bars were very good with many choices. I never found a cooked vegetable that was edible. The carving stations were excellent. I liked the beef roast, turkey, steak and chicken (with mashed potatoes and gravy and no vegetable). I had some lamb chops with mint jelly that were excellent. Some of the soups were quite good. I also had some very enjoyable self made burritos (with steak added from the carving station rather than the provided fajita beef) at the taco/burrito station. The asian food looked better than it tasted. I love lasagna but theirs was so salty I couldn't eat it. Breakfast offerings in the HC were abundant and good. Made to order omelets were good as were the made to order fried eggs. However, the toast/muffins/bagels were always cold and hard. I enjoyed and appreciated the HC more as the cruise wore on because I just focused on the items I was more likely to like.

Alfredo's menu didn't change but I enjoyed the veal raviolis (I can't recall the actual name for the dish) in cream sauce so much I had it three times and want some right now. Franco is a hoot.

The MDR food was good but the service seemed more impersonal than in the past and it seemed to me that the servers had less time to interact. Maybe they have more tables to service?

I also enjoyed the pizza at Prego but not the hamburger or hotdog at Trident Grill.

After writing this it sounds like I was eating ALL the time and that's not far from being true.

Dale

No doubt 100 of us who have sailed on her could answer you, and you'll get 100 different opinions! :D

For us:

• we enjoyed the variety and the food in HC. We ate most breakfasts and lunches there, and dinner a couple of times. We always found something we enjoyed (and then some! :rolleyes:)
  • we LOVED Alfredo's (and the HW Franky) and ate there 3 times for lunch
  • we found the food in the MDR to be as good as any we've ever had on Princess. Luckily, our waiters were excellent and we miss them now that we are home!
  • One complaint in MDR was the escargot. I LOVE escargot, but not here. They were rubbery and tasteless. This was my only disappointment.
  • Crown Grill: my DH enjoyed his steak. I did not enjoy my lobster. I expected a decent size tail, and what I got was 10 mini tales, which I didn't enjoy.
  • Sabatinis. Meh - not sure whether I enjoyed it or not. We went twice. The first night we had the sea bass dish between us. It was good. The second night I had the lobster 3 ways - which is really another mini lobster, lobster risotto, and lobster "sauce" served on the side of the plate. It tasted fine, but I still have a hard time justifying the $25 up charge in here. The "old" Sabatinis gave you more food than you could possibly eat. But with this new format, the only additional food that you get without ordering it is a pasta between your appetizer and your main course. Not that we needed more food - believe me!! - but still not sure this was worth paying $50 for the two of us.
  • International Café - good selection and the breakfast sandwiches are the BEST from down there.

I agree that the escargot was disappointing, usually one of my favorites. The goat cheese souffle, however, was up to par. There were a few misses. I sometimes ordered a vegetarian item on the menu to share and was usually disappointed. The fried sushi appetizer got a thumbs down from sushi lovers, as did a spinach flan. Princess needs to improve and expand the offerings for those who wish to limit or eliminate their meat consumption. The pastas as usual were all exceptional. The rack of lamb in the Crown Grill was my favorite meal, second was embarkation lunch in the MDR. LOL! I am in love with the expanded Alfredo's. The Royal Princess gets a four star rating from me on food. Five stars for service!

Archived