Piano Bar questions..

SWACK

I can only recall one time anyone sang along in Crooner's; I'm trying and failing to recollect what song or what the occasion was -- possibly it was at Christmas? Or maybe a patriotic occasion? Of course, I haven't sailed with every single Crooner's pianist out there (never heard of Mr. McPhee, sorry), so it's possible I've missed one or two that do encourage audience participation. But it's really always been more of a sit and listen kind of venue in my experience.

I can name one performer who was better than Ambien though . . . if you're looking for energy, you might want to avoid Eric Stone.

If you are into sing-along (70’s crowd), then Bart Stratton is probably your best fit. If you are into great piano music, a bunch of British snarkyness, and a good time (but, really, no sing-along) then Larry Dunsmore is one of the best.

No matter what you are looking for in a bar though, the Princess Crooners Martini Bar is the best – for bar-staff fun, service, standards, and of course, the piano players.

Tommy McPhee was in Crooners on our recent Ruby cruise. Good pianist and singer, a bit loud volume wise and little audience engagement. Not our fave but seemed quite popular.

As for sing-a-longs, I recall a lovely one with Sammy Goldstein when he actually handed out song sheets. Ditto with Paul Burton.

I agree with all the great sentiments regarding Crooners, we love this venue.

Crooner's is not a true Piano Bar, you don't sit around the piano, you sit, if you can find a seat, or stand around Crooner's Lounge. Lots of passengers do enjoy it, and stake out their seats early on. On every Princess ship I have been on Crooner's starts up at 9PM. The basic entertainment is a Piano Man/Singer. Each one has their own style. Sometimes passengers sing along. Sometimes there are name that tune contests, but most of the time its just piano music and singing. Other lounges on Princess ships also have live music. Depending on the ship there could be live music in as many as 5 lounges at the same time. All entertainment times are shown in the Princess Patter.

Tom Franek is absolutely the best piano bar entertainer on Princess. I have never bothered to go to Crooners before, but with Tom performing on my last cruise, I couldn't stay away! Every seat was full, and they brought in extra folding chairs, yet there were still people standing everywhere. People definitely sang along. I know I did! He got the whole audience participating.

Our cruise was Tom's last on the Star in Alaska. He's currently on the Sea Princess in Australia and he'll be on the Crown Jan. 11 - April 12. I'm really hoping he ends up back in Alaska next summer!

If Tom Franek is ever on your cruise, go see him!!

Just off Royal and Kory Simon was in Crooners... our second cruise with him and it was a pleasant surprise! IMHO he's the best, very likeable, good entertainer, involves folks. Bar guys are great as well.. one has fabulous singing voice. Kory's on till Dec. 8 and then home till March when he's back on Royal.