When to attach luggage tags when flying to port

dsarah

We usually attach the tags at the cruise port but we are flying in the day of the cruise this time. I'd like to attach the tags when we check in at the airport -- would use one of those sturdy luggage tag holders that are sold online. My concern is if our luggage doesn't show up at the airport in time for some reason, the tag would tell the airline what ship we were going on and may improve the chances of them getting it to us. Has anyone done this and had their luggage tag survive the airline baggage handling? I've searched but most say attach the luggage tag at the cruise port.

While my normal attach time is between the flight and the cruise checkin, you make a good point about providing ship info for a lost bag to the airlines. I guess if a sturdy holder is used, the airline agents won't tear them off, as some do with any "old" paper tags.

Just have a few extra tags along, and if any don't survive the flight, you can redo them before cruise check in.

Attach AFTER your flight! The airlines have enough trouble getting bags to the proper destination with their own tags!

In an open, outside pocket of each suitcase, put your cell phone number and itinerary, just in case! Never put your home address on your luggage!

Attach AFTER your flight! The airlines have enough trouble getting bags to the proper destination with their own tags!

In an open, outside pocket of each suitcase, put your cell phone number and itinerary, just in case! Never put your home address on your luggage!

Agree

I attached them at home before leaving for the airport. If I am cruising with a line that I purchased transfers and they take care of my luggage deliver them to our stateroom then they must be on so they know which luggage is ours. But with no transfers purchased, it just makes it easier for me to spot them at luggage claim.

Edited by Irene7

I attached them at home before leaving for the airport. If I am cruising with a line that I purchased transfers and they take care of my luggage deliver them to our stateroom then they must be on so they know which luggage is ours. But with no transfers purchased, it just makes it easier for me to spot them at luggage claim.

With RCI, if you purchase transfers you still must collect your luggage at the airport and then meet the RCI rep in baggage claim where you are directed to one of the waiting buses where you will board and your luggage will be loaded underneath.

Once at the port, your luggage is taken from the bus and handed off to the porters and you will see it when it is delivered to your cabin.

Edited by cruisenfever

I think the safest thing to do when flying is to make sure each bag has only one luggage tag on it. I keep the tags in a side pocket. When we collect our luggage I then remove the air travel tags, and put on those for the cruise. We also use the luggage tag holders from Amazon. Enjoy your cruise.

I always put the luggage tags on our bags at home. I have never had a problem with the airlines even with a flight to Romania. I agree with the poster who mentioned having a better chance of lost luggage making it to the ship if it has a cruise line tag.

For the last few cruises I have used the plastic luggage tag holders mentioned above and they are great.

In the outside chance that the tags don't survive the flight you can get tags from the porters at the port or take extras with you.

You can Google "Serendipity Luggage Tags" to purchase the plastic holders.

Edited by GiannaD
addition

With RCI, if you purchase transfers you still must collect your luggage at the airport and then meet the RCI rep in baggage claim where you are directed to one of the waiting buses where you will board and your luggage will be loaded underneath.

Once at the port, your luggage is taken from the bus and handed off to the porters and you will see it when it is delivered to your cabin.

The only time this has differed for us was on our first cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver and we did the RCI transfers with the US Direct Program (which they were offering again as of this year I believe)..We had to put the luggage tags on pre-flight since we never claimed our bags at YVR, just boarded the bus.

The only time this has differed for us was on our first cruise to Alaska out of Vancouver and we did the RCI transfers with the US Direct Program (which they were offering again as of this year I believe)..We had to put the luggage tags on pre-flight since we never claimed our bags at YVR, just boarded the bus.

It has been quietly re-introduced and is only available to certain cruise lines and only if ship is departing from Canada Place.

After your flight.

+1

Luggage tags get lost and ripped off ALL the time - even "indestructible" metal ones. Your best bet is to put the ship tags on after your last flight in.

You should have a luggage tag on the bags when you fly with your contact information in the event the airline bag tags are lost/removed, as well as a business card or other form of contact info inside the bag as a backup. In the event the bags don't make it on your flight, your contact info should be sufficient to reconnect you and your bags. If you feel you must add more, use the standard disposable tags provided by the airline to add in your name and a ship name. Having too many tags and details just confuses people and adds risk that your bag will be "different" and not be handled routinely.

I highly doubt the airlines will make use of the ship info to reconnect your bag without contacting you first - I don't think they have the authority (or will risk the liability) to just reroute your stuff without your direct instruction/permission. As an alternative though, if bags go missing en route, you might be able to leave directions with the baggage service office of your airline to automatically reroute after the bags are found/arrive.

General rule of thumb is to carry on anything you can't risk losing (meds, keys, valuables, and fragile items) and to bring a change or two of clothes on your outbound trip. Worst case, you end up wearing goofy tshirts and shorts all trip long purchased from the ship gift shop :rolleyes: It is also advisable to cross pack across bags in the event you don't get one of the bags in a timely fashion.

Edited by jb008

Thank you everyone --- Hadn't thought of just putting the itinerary, cellphone #, etc. in the luggage pocket that normally holds the contact info. That definitely makes sense. We'll just put the cruise tags on when we arrive or at the cruise port.

Because then someone will know which home is empty, and make it even more empty. :mad:

But, someone might get to your house and find that not everyone in the house was on the airplane.

My father was a road warrior, and no one ever tried to break into my parents' house. My wife was a road warrior for several years, and no one ever tried to break in while I was home.

And when everyone in my family does go on vacation, the retired police detective next door knows to call 911, then investigate the situation before the first squad car arrives.

Just as a note to AAA members, I found the Royal Caribbean sized luggage tag holders at my closest AAA travel office for about half the price of the ones on Amazon. I also had our local Office Max print them out on a color laser printer on card stock to try to make them less flimsy but I don't think I would ever put them on my luggage before my flight. I've had too many bags half destroyed by the airlines to trust those tags would survive. I also print out a full sized contact information page, along with a copy of my itinerary, and put it in the front pocket of all my bags.

Thank you everyone --- Hadn't thought of just putting the itinerary, cellphone #, etc. in the luggage pocket that normally holds the contact info. That definitely makes sense. We'll just put the cruise tags on when we arrive or at the cruise port.

Put email address/cell phone and not home info on the itinerary if worried.... Then when you have info from the airline, you can send your info needed back to the airline baggage people.

We do put hotel/flight info on the paper, dates there and such, to send the bag forward.

I put cruise tags also into the outside pocket as well, in case the airline want to send the bag to the ship.