FLL hotels - Feb. - why so expensive?

kittycat1234

Been searching hotels for the first week in February and I can't believe the prices. They are even higher than at Christmas. Is there something going on in town? I know the Miami boat show is the next weekend. Embassy suites is asking $299 and many are over $300. When you get in late and just need sleep, it kills me to pay that much. Anyone know of anything that is more reasonable? thanks for any help.

Been searching hotels for the first week in February and I can't believe the prices. They are even higher than at Christmas. Is there something going on in town? I know the Miami boat show is the next weekend. Embassy suites is asking $299 and many are over $300. When you get in late and just need sleep, it kills me to pay that much. Anyone know of anything that is more reasonable? thanks for any help.

There are many but if you want the ES area there is the Hyatt right behind it...Also try pricing at the Last Minute Travel Club...they had the best rates for our ES stay.

This is peak tourist season in Southern Florida and runs until the end of Easter in April. You have not only lots of cruises but people visiting for land vacations. It's a beautiful time to be in Florida and yes it is all about supply and demand. Prices are much lower in the summer but far less people want to visit then.

Keith

As others have said, this is the prime time for FL vacations but hotel rooms are still higher than what I have experienced over the last several years. Two years ago (I did not cruise last winter) I was able to get the Pier 66 for around $100/night from Priceline and Hotwire. Also go the Westin on the Beach for around $125/night. These were Jan. - Feb. dates. This year I had to bid $176 on PL to get The B Hotel for precruise Jan. 18 - 20. I'm still looking for a 2 night post cruise hotel & it looks like the pricing will still be around the $175 ++ mark. That tells me that more people have money for travel / vacations. (less vacant hotel rooms). That's a great thing for the economy . . just not for my bank account. :D

That won't stop me from cruising though as it is still the most bang for your buck in my opinion.

Happy cruising, :)

Dave

Thanks for the replies. I know it is prime time - we travel it every year. It just seems like it is so much higher this year. I wouldn't mind if we were going just for a land vacation but we hardly will be there. I'll try that last minute travel club. thanks

If you are willing to move away from the beach / prime tourist areas than the prices drop tremendously. Try looking in the Davie area - it is only about 10 minutes from the airport / Port Everglades. Yes, the cab / super shuttle fees are higher but they will be more than made up for in the savings from the hotel prices.

If you are simply arriving late and leaving early this is one way to save a few dollars.

We have a cruise booked in Feb. We live in Florida so we have no need for a hotel:D, but the people who do on our roll call have made the same comments.

The reasons are Miami Boat Show, Ft. Lauderdale Marathon, many schools have Presidents Day week off and the weather is great in Feb.! Some of the people on my roll call have gotten good deals on hotels, but they booked them in July and August. ;) Of course that doesn't help the OP, sorry.

Edited by mafig

If the OP looks at or compares rates three+ years ago, then yes there is a jump. Things are going better for hotels now so they don't have to offer the values that were offered 3-5 years ago.

I see the OP is from Fl, so I'm surprised OP doesn't know how it works in Fl in Feb. :D And definitely, if traveling near Pres. Day weekend, add another 10% to the peak season.:eek:

Look inland.

Yes, if OP is willing to spend that for the Double Tree Gallery One ( which I think you are referring to?) it's a good price for a weekend in Feb. :) And the res is cancellable on LMT up to 3 days prior to stay which is a big plus.

Edited by eandj

I thought I posted here the other day but realized I posted on a different thread. I did book something but it will be over $200. Not much I can do and figured I better have something. I found out there is a medical conference with 4000 people coming on that Monday so I suppose many are coming the weekend before to relax. Their top four hotels listed are on 17th street so I guess that is why so many are listed as sold out.

We are having the same problem :( We are a family of 5, looking for a room for one night, February 15th, and prices are so high! Not sure what we are going to do.

Run the numbers for a rental and staying further from port (inland). Not sure how much time you will have in the area, but it might be better financially for you. Otherwise, yes, a Sat. night will cost a pretty penny. Start saving for a Christmas gift to yourselves?:o

We are booked on Allure for 2/9 sailing and can't believe the price of hotel rooms for Saturday, 2/8.

I get that February is a great time to go.....we are from Chicago and we want to get out of the crappy weather too, but $300 for a hotel room for 1 night is killing me.

Any suggestions.....and I'll keep looking.

Thanks -

Karen

We are booked on Allure for 2/9 sailing and can't believe the price of hotel rooms for Saturday, 2/8.

I get that February is a great time to go.....we are from Chicago and we want to get out of the crappy weather too, but $300 for a hotel room for 1 night is killing me.

Thanks -

Karen

On lastminutetravel dot com CLUB, I'm finding lots of hotels under $200 per night for Saturday 8 Feb.

Doubletree Suites by Hilton - Gallery One - $ 151.62

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina - $ 188.71

Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach - $168.22

Bahia Mar Ft Lauderdale Beach, DoubleTree by Hilton - $167.51

Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port - $182.51

Just over $200:

Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six - $203.81

Pelican Grand Beach Resort - $203.81

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach - $208.51

And many others -so you have options!

Thanks -

Karen

You certainly can do better than $300 a night. :o Not sure what you are looking at. Under $200 WITH taxes is possible. Start checking out the discount sites, not the hotel web sites.

On lastminutetravel dot com CLUB, I'm finding lots of hotels under $200 per night for Saturday 8 Feb.

Doubletree Suites by Hilton - Gallery One - $ 151.62

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina - $ 188.71

Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach - $168.22

Bahia Mar Ft Lauderdale Beach, DoubleTree by Hilton - $167.51

Comfort Suites Airport & Cruise Port - $182.51

Just over $200:

Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six - $203.81

Pelican Grand Beach Resort - $203.81

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach - $208.51

And many others -so you have options!

The cheapest one on that list, Gallery One, is a Great choice! It has a water taxi stop, Publix and Galleria Mall are a block away, and the beach is about 3 blocks away. Cab fare from FLL about $25, and to port about $20.

• 2 years later...