"LIVE" from Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas - Nov 8, 2013

Twibes

Karen That's good and bad! LOL. Table 212 is also a six person table however congratulations, Your against the window!! I'll post a photo of room 8022 (yup I got it already!) I'm currently enjoying buy 1 get one free martinis in The Viking Lounge :p.

I have lots to type and photos to show but its slow going !

Karen That's good and bad! LOL. Table 212 is also a six person table however congratulations, Your against the window!! I'll post a photo of room 8022 (yup I got it already!) I'm currently enjoying buy 1 get one free martinis in The Viking Lounge :p.

I have lots to type and photos to show but its slow going !

Awesome ... I anticipate my DD will do the eye-roll thing when I email her a picture of our future door :)

Later in the night, after a pretty amazing dinner in the main dining room, and all the while ignoring a group of Goth 20 year olds eating steak with their hands, we headed to Karaoke. This is in the South Pacific lounge on Deck 6 and pretty darn comfortable place to be might I add. Who we saw singing had to have been one seasoned cruiser, that or this elderly gentlemen had passed the "become Tims buddy test" with god given talent! His name is Earl, and he wore a neon orange shirt that read "My name is Earl AKA Speedo." His hat said Mr. Earl. This guy was great... Did you know that they have a full karaoke song with that T-shirt saying!? Who knew! I wish I could entertain a cruise crowd like Earl, he should be given a name tag and made cruise director. Hearing his ""Uh huh" ending to each verse was classic.

Tzr4B9Q-vi.jpg

Following Karaoke we stopped at the main Rbar on deck 4. We ran into woman we met earlier there who definetly without any doubt, earned every pennies worth of the drinking package. I kid you not, she's about 60 years old and said she started cruising around age 40... Having been on 37 cruises now she is having a great time solo. People, listen, when I say she earned her drink package... I mean they designed the blueprints of AA around her. A fully licensed counselor couldn't keep records on Her nightly accomplishments. Her drinks were a beer and a shot of tequila repetitively. Sure, no big deal right? Except she was the ifel tower of the Rbar holding everyone in place. Don't get me wrong, she was great and quite amusing, but she could drink me under, over, and on the dang table 10x over in just an hour. I applaud her liver.. It must make good money for the job it does.

While drinking with "Friends with Phil" herself, I told Kelcey "wouldn't it be nuts if I can into someone I know right here at this bar. Fast forward ten minutes when a gentlemen asked what my job was. After responding, he quickly said his son did the same job in ------ town, I was shocked and asked his name, only to find out his son is a best friend of mine at work!? What are the odds huh.

Not much else happened Friday night but we headed to bed around 1100pm. Saturday was our first sea day as well as formal night. Waking up Saturday we looked forward to the 1030am Meet N Mingle in the Viking Crown Lounge. Some of these are hit and miss as you're all aware. Sometimes there are plenty of bodies and yet and you'd hear more sounds coming from your belly than from people conversing. Other times there are merely 1/5th the # of people that should've been there. This time, as previously mentioned, it was like a Mardi Gras with a!l the needs to go around, minus the Mellon's that usually come with the fine print! We were told we set a new Grandeur Record with 92 in attendance. To be honest I sent a memo to all cruise critic members to show up or face public ridicule on the Hurt Box, Deck 9, at the pool :).

M92nzWf9JTgRNEExJvAGG6z-vi.jpg

1mUBk3Vvofh2qkTQ5_ibWq9yWK2te5-vi.jpg

RCCL staff were extremely generous, giving every member a necklace wallet with a seapass holder. Honestly Id rather be seen streaking through the centrum during Line dance lessons than **** this thing, but like I said.... It was generous considering all in attendance. Three or four members won white wine, red wine, champagne and T-shirts but I can only remember the name of one. I'll hope they fill in the blanks here when they read it Saturday.

lZZ-vi.jpg

(While sitting on deck 6 in the centrum typing this a female behind me is chatting about not shaving at all. Ty for that visual ma'am.)

After receiving my "be single for life" gift, we ate at noon at Izumi. I was very excited about this as Radio said great things about it. His pictures of the food made my mouth water so this was an exciting meal. How was our lunch? You tell me:

jwg1CV0IV3iji2jGqMjdRPehNm1rWo-vi.jpg

It was phenomenal.. Better than expected considering we're at sea. I had the RAINBOW something but it had spicy tuna and salmon (pictured on bottom plate) and Kelcey had the Seared Tuna Tatayaki (pictured on upper side of plate.) The service was exceptional and we're going back on Thursday. The meal after the $20 online reservation fee: $5.00

>>>>>

After receiving my "be single for life" gift, we ate at noon at Izumi. I was very excited about this as Radio said great things about it. His pictures of the food made my mouth water so this was an exciting meal. How was our lunch? You tell me:

jwg1CV0IV3iji2jGqMjdRPehNm1rWo-vi.jpg

It was phenomenal.. Better than expected considering we're at sea. I had the RAINBOW something but it had spicy tuna and salmon (pictured on bottom plate) and Kelcey had the Seared Tuna Tatayaki (pictured on upper side of plate.) The service was exceptional and we're going back on Thursday. The meal after the $20 online reservation fee: $5.00

Although we had to cancel our Grandeur cruise, boo hoo, I plan on Izumi every day for lunch on our Legend cruise. When RC added Izumi (first on Oasis/Allure), my two favorite worlds collided! Cruising & Sushi =Wow for me. :D

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

newsflash

This just in at 9:45am today, wind and seas too rough, we're docking in Nassau a day early and staying overnight. Coco Day canceled. After the PA announcement, mutiny entailed onboard.. I'm hiding from the mob typing from the closet... Oh wait I mean this is actually a shower.

Still typing two days of info for you, but this has been a press release sponsored by cruise critic.

newsflash

This just in at 9:45am today, wind and seas too rough, we're docking in Nassau a day early and staying overnight. Coco Day canceled. After the PA announcement, mutiny entailed onboard.. I'm hiding from the mob typing from the closet... Oh wait I mean this is actually a shower.

Still typing two days of info for you, but this has been a press release sponsored by cruise critic.

I'll bet all the people following Grandeur on the Allure are super jealous of you, a day and a half in Nassau rather then the measly 5 hours they get, what with the Allure slightly hobbled by the center azipod problems. :D

Although we had to cancel our Grandeur cruise, boo hoo, I plan on Izumi every day for lunch on our Legend cruise. When RC added Izumi (first on Oasis/Allure), my two favorite worlds collided! Cruising & Sushi =Wow for me. :D

CruiseDiva!!! So happy to see you here! Hope we can meet on another cruise in the near future.

newsflash

Enjoy!

newsflash

Ugh-- sounds like your seas and winds are as bad as what we had last week on Grandeur.

Sorry to read. Hope things smooth out for you.

Ok Folks, to make it easy on this tablet the next post will show photos.

After having a relaxing day onboard the Grandeur Saturday, we participated in the most easily accessible form of gambling the world created, Bingo. Yup, that's right.. not only is it designed for people who can't read fast enough nor have the ability to put dots on more than 1 board at a time, but it's caught up with the 21st century. It's electric Bingo folks, and if you haven't tried it, you're surely missing out. This little boards have about 18 cards on them PER game, and you do nothing. Yup, that's right, nothing. When you are 1 away from winning.. you stand up after hearing the beep so everyone can boo you. Unfortunately and with the story of my life, I was boo'd often. Actually, I was boo'd every darn game because I was 1 away from winning. Alas, I never did seal the deal, but that is personal LOL. :D

EQidcUMQv-vi.jpg

Sunday we were in Port Canaveral and as I stated, weather was great. Couldn't have asked for a better day at port where I could see a Disney ship from the distance, as well as a possible Freedom class Royal Caribbean ship in port. We were docked right near the entrance to port so we couldn't see or do much of anything. I opted to stay on board and take in the rays... not really craving the drive to Kennedy Space Center or elsewhere. Plus, when you're with a date, of course she wants time in the sun! A few photos on deck willl follow.

OkK5_pG5wEFhFLLMsdTNM18bNBfnLT-vi.jpg

An important note to keep in mind here.. and I emphasize important. We received a notice (Photo also coming) the night before Port Canaveral that the A/C Units were going down all day Sunday for emergency maintenance. No worries though, as per the notice (Insert a laugh here,) it would NOT affect the staterooms. Fast forward to Sunday afternoon when we attempted to take a little nap in the stateroom and clean up, it was about 90 degrees. Our stateroom attendant also was soaking wet, it looked like it wore his uniform on the Disney Wonder and accidentally came through the water slide, only to be spit out on Deck 7 forward of Grandeur. Normally, I wouldn't even post this information because I'm trying to make you all look forward to your upcoming cruise, but like I said, this becomes important.

Our poor stateroom attendant was drenched and needed a shower or two himself. He said it was so bad he spoke to his boss but nothing could really be done. You'd feel it the moment you turned into the hallway from the forward elevators on Deck 7. Later in the night, the we complained at the guest services desk, as we were initially told it only affected the common areas, not staterooms. Only after complaining (Which I don't do.. because I'm glad just to be on vacation and can easily suck-up any technical issues) did they admit that "Oh yes, the A/C on deck 7 is having issues." Ok, thanks, maybe next time your memo an actually provide more information than Obomacare's website to no-where.

Finally, sometime around 7pm, the A/C was back on and we were able to shower and clean-up for dinner. Dinner tonight was in Giovanni's and it was amazing. So amazing, that when I post the picture of dinner, the photo will show scraps. Yup, because there was nothing to see after I feasted on this gourmet of delicacy!

M96y_8GD-vi.jpg

After leaving Port Canaveral and floating away toward CoCo Cay, I was excited as pretty soon I would find out if the list I got on FIRST for the Cabana's paid off. I am only in an Interior this trip but was glad to drop the fee if needed for the Cabana. As a back-up, we also booked a Cabanet. Unfortunately, I was told via phone that night that all Cabana's were sold out... and I wished unfortunate weather nightmares upon the suite guests.. purely out of selfishness lol. I know I know, how childish.. but seriously.. there should've been a Hurricane :rolleyes: for Karma. Later in the night I also took photos of door 8022 for our requestor here.. which are posted below.

LurIDy766PmYBwODGj1ZQJ_2UbVTF2-vi.jpg

We also grabbed a photo of a Cruise Critic member who won Bronze in the lyric competition in the Centrum. Remember folks, we set a record on here and ran into eachother daily!

Finishing off the night Sunday night, we found the buy one get one free deal in the Viking Crown Lounge at 7pm for Martini's. Hello!!! I think I just earned a new membership for Friends of Phil! Just a bit of advice.. don't go on the Grandeur and think you can coast through the week without having the need for rehab... because these Coco Loco's are freaking morphine to my non-injured limbs. Sweet 5lb 8oz baby jesus these are like water in a desert.

Moving along.. Monday morning we awoke for breakfast in the Windjammer and couldn't help but notice the ocean swells. Like Radio spoke about at one point I believe.. if you can see white tips, it's not a great sign. I predicted we'd have a tendering issue in Coco Cay and sure enough we did. The waves were astounding and although photos don't do justice for them.. I posted a pic none the less. The Grandeur handled the movement just fine, but obviously the choice was made not to tender. As a matter of fact, a Norwegian ship was trying to tender in the area and reported they canceled, it just wasn't safe. To our surprise, we were told we'd be in Nassau just 4 hours later and would dock from 2pm until 3pm the next day. Winning! Yes... Nassau is a Brooklyn tossed into the Caribbean but, it's better than floating aimlessly in circles blowing more money on Martini's.

Coming into port, we saw plenty of other ships. I'd be interested to know more about one of them we were next to called Aida.de or something like that. Looked interesting. The weather in Nassau was rain, pretty much all day with a slight break at night. Kelcey and I opted for a quick walked along the main drag to possibly buy some T-shirts. She quickly emphasized her lack of comfort in that area, and without issue we completed our trip with 2 drinks for $7 on the corner, and back to the ship. I'd like to add, the least Nassau can do for the 10,000 guests a day is fix the faucets and put paper towels in your Port Facilities bathroom. I washed with cold water, as no hot water even turned on. I had to use the warmth of my buttocks to dry off as the electric blower was apparently never connected nor has the paper towel machine ever seen paper. How do I know this? Well my dear Watson.. the garbage was empty too!

Oh, other note of interest, while pulling into the port we caught the Allure pulling away from the harbor and I can confirm from the water trails, only 2 azipods were running. Photos following...

Edited by Twibes

Now, back on ship from Nassau, our room was again aabout 100 degrees. No I'm not exaggerating, and no I'm not complaining, YET. We understand there are issues but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I understand things happen and I'm still much happier on a hot cruise ship than at work or laying in the snow in the north east. That being said, being a full 2 days now without A/C in a stateroom is pushing it. If you were in a hotel, you're more than likely leave for another one, which unless I'm Scuba Steve and Kelcey is Inspector Gadget's daughter, we're not flying outa this Brooklyn in the Caribbean. Soo.. we went back to the guest relations desk and spoke to a Senior Guest Relations Officer, who understood our misfortune and knowing I was blogging on here, gave me another 90 minute internet package. As I said, I don't expect anything for free nor like to complain (ever) but this was appreciated. It at least made it worth while to leave the stateroom and spend time somewhere else. I'd like to add, the first time I complained, the desk officer (female) told us to simply spend our time somewhere else on the ship instead of our room. Thanks for the great service ma'am. :mad:

Anyway, after finally walking a marathon to the gym locker rooms and showering, we ran the last leg of the marathon back to our room to get dressed and ready while feeling like Swamp Thing. This night was our welcome back party and boy am I glad we went. Would you believe they just kept the drinks flowing.. giving both of us within 30 minutes 2 champagnes each, and Rum drinks as well. It was great seeing the Captain and cruise staff, while watching some seasoned cruisers dancing ballroom dance style. I honestly wish I could move as good as these folks, it's obvious they were born in the decade of having class and knowing how to treat people. Without question we're both some of the youngest cruisers on here, and I'm 35! No complaints though.. I count only abou 4 kids on board.

Tonight I took out a whole new role when it comes to respecting my waiter. When I asked if I could try something or get more of something, he brought me the entire kitchen along with the sink. I'm not talking just an extra piece of shrimp or another drink, I mean he brought me 3 appetizers, two dinners, and 3 deserts. That my friends is a fast track to being stuck in your stateroom later - which I was! :rolleyes:

Coming up... today... (A WHOLE NEW 3rd day of A/C updates.)

Love your pics at Izumi. Please post more of them when you go back Thursday. I will be going there for lunch on Monday, my birthday.

100 degrees in your room? Oh my! 32 degrees here at home in Pa. Snow in Pittsburgh. Which would I rather have? Decisions, decisions.

Wow! you get extra points for being thorough. I now have pix of MY cabin door from both angles. Let the planning begin. Log back in after Christmas and you'll get to see the "After" version.

How widespread is the A/C issue? I ask because they were having A/C issues on turnaround day of our B2B in Colon last year. You couldn't get a straight answer about it, but it became quickly obvious that cabins on the side of the ship in the sun were intolerable by early afternoon. Our side of the ship didn't get bad till evening. But by the next day, all was well.

The pictures of the waves were better than you thought ... I can't imagine tendering in that. So at least the suite pax didn't get to enjoy your cabana.:)

CruiseDiva!!! So happy to see you here! Hope we can meet on another cruise in the near future.

I so hope our paths cross on a cruise, sometime soon! I still can't get over that we had to cancel! I will forever be in denial, lol.

Twibes. I am loving your report! Awesome writing skills! Sure keeping me coming back to read!

Thanks for taking the time, which shows!

:)

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

Internet's great with perfect range across the ship.

Will be posting yesterday and today's updates as well as conclusion of A/C story soon.

Press release

Key West has 40knot winds and a pretty serious current. All aboard was moved to 4pm to beat this weather moving in. Also, docking @naval yard is mighty inconvenient! To be continued..