"LIVE" from Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas - Nov 8, 2013

Twibes

I got some nice photos of Grandeur from Vision of the Seas/Nassau yesterday; taken about 7:30 AM (our arrival), (lifeboat drill)11:00am, and 4:00pm (your departure). I'm back at work but uploading and will add to your thread hopefully later tonight. It will be a unique perspective to add to your vacation pics, so please do feel free to save them for your own personal use as well.

Brooklyn in the Caribbean is being too kind :)

I got some nice photos of Grandeur from Vision of the Seas/Nassau yesterday; taken about 7:30 AM (our arrival), (lifeboat drill)11:00am, and 4:00pm (your departure). I'm back at work but uploading and will add to your thread hopefully later tonight. It will be a unique perspective to add to your vacation pics, so please do feel free to save them for your own personal use as well.

Brooklyn in the Caribbean is being too kind :)

Thanks!! LOL I'm sure you know I'm referring to vultureville, that being the one mile cesspool of money chasers near the port. I think one passenger onboard had her braided hair done with an industrial drill.. boy that sh*t is tighter than My shirt. If you plan on needing hairplugs sometime in the next 30 days, you should definitely follow in her footsteps. Also, although as a spectator it was friggin hysterical I'm sure this wasn't Good for her; a female was walking just outside the port along what looks like a NY alley sidewalk. Next came the pickup truck that intentionally swerved go the far left and put its water seeking autopilot directly into the water-filled crater. You can guess The results for the poor girl! Funny yes, very polite ... Ummm no.

Edited by Twibes

Internet's great with perfect range across the ship.

Will be posting yesterday and today's updates as well as conclusion of A/C story soon.

Press release

Key West has 40knot winds and a pretty serious current. All aboard was moved to 4pm to beat this weather moving in. Also, docking @naval yard is mighty inconvenient! To be continued..

Interested in the "conclusion" ... does that signify that A/C will not be an on-going issue? I was on the fence about packing a small fan for the cabin and now I'm about 80% sure I'll regret it if I don't take it.

Love your pics at Izumi. Please post more of them when you go back Thursday. I will be going there for lunch on Monday, my birthday.

100 degrees in your room? Oh my! 32 degrees here at home in Pa. Snow in Pittsburgh. Which would I rather have? Decisions, decisions.

Karen, just for you I'll link about 10 photos from izumi last night. I ordered a lot of food, and it only totalled $46! Amazing deal.

Interested in the "conclusion" ... does that signify that A/C will not be an on-going issue? I was on the fence about packing a small fan for the cabin and now I'm about 80% sure I'll regret it if I don't take it.

If you're anywhere Forward on Deck 7, I can't tell you not to, if you can get it on board, even better probably. I'll update in the below post..

Ok folks, first I'll start with the A/C issue for those who are curious or concerned about an upcoming cruise. I started this thread to get everyone excited and share my humor while on board the Grandeur. I don't want to write anything negative to turn you away from a vacation, because things could always be worse! That being said.. the A/C issue lasted a 3rd day and I'll explain here now.

While in Nassau we did nothing the second day except relax on the pool deck for hours. I worked / we worked hard to get to this vacation in the first place, so the last thing I cared about was a schedule or worrying about where to be and when. If I needed a schedule like that I would just call my mother (Hi Mom!) Yup she's reading this :rolleyes:. Thanks for taking care of the dogs, you're an amazing talented truly caring individual.

Ahem, ok let me clear my throat on that one! So after about 4 hours of taking in the massively unhealthy UV rays of Nassau Bahamas and noticing a few new spots on my body.. we headed toward Deck 7 forward, where our room is located. It was hot the moment we walked into the hallway 'again' and we ran into the attendant. He, once again, was soaking his poor a$$ off. I opened the door and entered the room and you would think Chris Farley & John Candy came back from heaven, dropped a pile of lava rocks in the center of the room, and experienced RCCL's best sauna / spa treatment right there in the cabin. The walls were soaked with condensation, the mirrors were totally fogged over with moisture, and even my electronics that were in the cabinet area (Tablet etc.) were covered in condensation. This set me over the edge, enough was enough. (Again, I apologize, not trying to upset anyone or worry anyone, as this is the ONLY bad thing that occurred on the cruise.)

I exited the room, spoke with an un-named attendant in a hallway about the issue, who proceeded to tell us this was the worst condition he had experienced in his 16 years of service on board. That my friends is NOT a good sign.. nope, not good at all. None the less, I was already a half mile ahead of Kelcey marching to the guest services desk on a mission from God. After requesting a manager, and speaking with one, we walked over and sat down in the centrum to discuss the issue. This being day 3, and my items being soaked, I let all the cards out on the table about how unhappy I am. Lets face it here, if any of you were in a hotel, as stated before, you'd leave by day 2. Being on a ship, there just isn't a choice. A few options were discussed, none of which were very impressive.. along with some 'free' laundering offered which I turned down, and then another 90 minutes of internet which I was given without asking.

I always appreciate them trying to help knowing it's not their fault so to speak, but at this point I have concerns about my October Trans-Atlantic I booked in a JS as well as Kelcey's family booking a 3 cabin cruise with family after I suggested it! I just don't see the loyalty at this point for retaining someone. I'm in no way someone who wants things for free, I work hard and like earning what I attain, but I've heard of numerous stories of people being compensated for the lamest of excuses and complaints. We have seen people due to age get gifts on board valued half as much of the cost of my room! Geeze. The final insult was a note yesterday in my room saying "Sorry for the inconvenience, here is a bottle of red Pinot, enjoy the rest of your cruise." I won't beat this bush anymore but, I took the bottle back. Done deal.

We arrived in Key West under blistering wind, literally. You could fly a car in this weather just by opening the door and holding your arm out. We were told that because of this and the pending cold weather front pushing through, all aboard time was moved to 4:30. We piled through the barnyard in a 1 mile line for what is referred to us a round up, ok ok it's actually customs. Once off the ship, we rallied together like a lost flock of sheep and waited about 20 minutes before boarding a trollie to get to Key West. No, not a tour trolley, but we were docked at the Naval Yard and were not permitted to take photos and/or walk anywhere, period. No problem.. I rather value my freedom and being so close to a ship don't intend on partaking in water boarding. *Funny pun there*

While in Key West we ate outside at the Tuna Saloon, which had great lobster and oysters for half the cost of the cruise ship. Again, I sat outside... so the trees bombarded me with mini-dump bombs of things I don't even recognize, but they hurt. Moving along... we stopped in a few shops to see the typical tourist gifts, and chose to head back to the ship promptly as there just wasn't much to do on such a windy day, at least for us.

If you have the time to sit in the centrum watching the latest group of people return to the ship, it's worth the show. We counted down how many people were called on the loud speaker for humor, and took photos of those who almost held the ship back. Maybe it's not that funny, but I believe in posting those pics just like People of Walmat :D. See below somewhwere!!

We opted last night to eat again at Izumi for dinner, for the price and quality, you just can't beat it. People.. if you are a fan of fish, raw none the less, you owe it to yourself to eat here. It's pure delicacy. I had such cravings I ordered about 4 items on the menu all photo'd below. Much respect to the staff for the amazing treatment there as well. It's a cut above the rest, just like Phillip Pelusi.

Tuna appetizer

60CJJrJ-vi.jpg

Tuna Tataki Roll / Spicy cooked tuna roll

w584eqOLgcs_SF8zIVVXwiWa_Y6GJZ-vi.jpg

Radio's Hot Rock

BndHg-vi.jpg

This was sashimi but we ate it already!

W47vPfQ8nfFn3Tkvt5JdKyfwQLyeAq-vi.jpg

Desert Sampler

Qa-vi.jpg

Overnight last night and into today, the water was horrendous, probably similiar to Radio's report. We know it's that time of year and it truly doesn't bother us.. but you could hear the hangars sliding, ship creaking, and I could've sworn Kelcey took the time to bounce my head up and down on the pillow like she was reliving Magic Johnson's career cycle. Seriously, I think I got air in my bed last night, I should get a medal or something for that. This morning.. seas are still pretty rough, the sickness bags are out but again, no big deal for us.

Also, guest relations stated about 22 staterooms were affected, mine I believe pretty bad compared to some. I'm told by dinner tonight they'll contact me about how they're resolving the hiccup in our trip.

Edited by Twibes

I am impressed by your restraint, I would not have stayed one night in that cabin! I woulda taken a pillow and a blanket and slept in the centrum. Are there no other cabins available. Hope it gets resolved soon! And you deserve decent compensation!!!!!!!

Tim, thanks so much for the sushi pics. Droll! Made up my mind. It's Rainbow and cooked spicy tuna roll for me. yum!!! So sorry to hear about your A/C issue. I know I wouldn't be able to stand it. I already have too many hot flashes. I am on deck 3 forward. Hope I have better luck. You guys are real troopers though. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Thanks again for all of the info.

How many cabins are affected by the A/C malfunction? Seems like there would be a riot by now. You are being so patient. RC should give you huge props and perks for doing a LIVE report in good taste even when you have no A/C. Loving the review!! We head out on Brilliance next Saturday..

I really think Royal Caribbean needs to step up to the plate. This is negatively impacting your cruise experience. I know it would seriously hamper mine. We had one evening last April on the Grandeur when the A/C was still recovering from maintenance earlier in the day. Multiple passengers compared notes the next day that we ended up going to bed early because the heat added to the heavy seas made us queasy. I can't imagine 3 solid days of temps so high that the cabin attendant is sweating ... and so are the mirrors. A bottle of wine and some free internet minutes is hardly an appropriate response.

Sorry your cruise is less than perfect for you. But, you seem to be handling it better than I would have. I can't stand to be hot, let alone sleep in the heat like that. I can't believe there is nothing they can do for you except compensate you with gifts and let it go at that. They could at least give you a fan to use.

I wonder if you bought a fan at one of the ports, they would let you on board with it. :rolleyes:

You are doing a terrific review and I am glad to be following along. I will board the Grandeur on Nov. 26th, so I am really interested in how this all turns out. We are on deck 4, so don't know it that is affected or not. I feel really bad for those of you that have to go through this. One can only take so much. You certainly have a great attitude and temper control.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and I certainly hope it gets better for you sooner rather than later.

Gwen :)

Tim: Sorry to hear about your AC issue. You are being more patient than I could ever be.

I love your picks of the late arrivals.

When we sail to Cozumel, I always stay on my balcony and take pictures of the passengers as they wobble and try to sprint their way back to the ship.

Thanks for your reviews.

Joe

Thanks for all your feedback everyone. This just in on a nice letter from RCCL Guest Services; We have been compensated partial cost of another cruise. I don't expect much but this does renew my loyalty as I do feel as though they care (Now) unlike earlier in the week. New cabins weren't an option before as they were filled to the T, booked solid.

Thank you so much for the great review and pictures. Also, so sorry you've had to deal

with the A/C issues. The picture of the mirror in your room really shows how bad it's been.

Glad they finally stepped up and gave you some real compensation for your issues. We are sailing on the 11/26 sailing and also on deck 7 forward, #7553. Is that anywhere near the area where the problem is? Has the temperature improved yet? Again, thanks for the great review, makes my waiting bearable.

I am so sorry that you had to endure a week of hot weather inside your room. I hope the problem is fixed soon. I do believe that RCCL should compensate you for your discomfort and am glad they came through for you. The bright side of this is that you will never forget this cruise because of the a/c problems, that's a plus. I also want to applaud you for keeping a good spirit during this whole ordeal and not talking mean and vicious about RCCL. Things do happen unfortunately it happened on your cruise. You have done a great job of keeping your cool and enjoying your cruise even though you had problems. It speaks a lot for your character. Also you have done a great job with the pics and review.

Again I'm glad that RCCL tried to satisfy you.

Sharon I