For your Royal Caribbean Cruise - what do you use for taking photos?

How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?

• I insist on using a quality digital camera to capture my memories.
    • I insist on using a quality video camera only.
    • I insist on using a combination quality digital camera that also supports HD quality video.
    • I use whatever camera I have at my disposal, even it it means sacrificing quality for convenience.
    • A smartphone does the trick for me - "good" pictures (in contrast to "great") satisfy my needs.

Using IE (at work), and your signature could use a line break after each of your cruise countdowns. The way it shows up in IE, is one continuous line, causing a horrible side scroll to show up.. ugly.

People still use clunky IE? Sorry to hear that. :D

Just for you...I've stretched things down instead of across.

And then this, while not from a cruise, was taken with my iPhone 4s:

2070.jpg

(Staten Island Ferry, Lower Manhattan, NY - Battery Park)

I'm not by means the best photographer out there as I am more of an aim the camera, focus and take the picture type of person.

But I still think great pictures are to be had from any image capturing device.

Based on the poll results to date...not everyone necessarily agrees.

Still...keepsakes can be had on a cruise, even with a smartphone camera.

I suspect this view of Manhattan might be more appealing to some folks...even if taken from 6,000 ft out an airplane window...

attachment.php?attachmentid=6318&d=1384013600

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

My DHs hobby is photography, my hobby is cruising; we spend more on his hobby than mine;)

So voted "whatever" since we will use a variety of cameras from iPhone to Nikon AW's to multiple Nikon SLRs with video. Just depends on where and what we are doing!

Those are a great option for someone who can live with the depth restrictions. I keep researching hoping that the industry will have improved the "underwater cameras" to the point where my partner can dive without worry. Alas, we will continue to fiddle with a waterproof case.

Have you tried the Nikon 1aw1? DH just got one and we will try it out next week- look for pictures and a review of the camera in my upcoming Jewel review! He's very excited about it!

I recently upgraded my Canon A70 to an SX 40 Canon 12 mp Digital with 35 m zoom and love it. It has image stabilization which is good for me. I consider myself an average photographer, and look at the background, lighting, before taking the picture.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

For my last cruise, I purchased the Sony RX100. I could not have been any happier!

The pictures it took were pretty close in quality compared to my buddy’s DSLR he lugged around with him from beach to beach. He had to carry a backpack with him and all I had to do was hand the RX100 to the GF to keep in her purse. For the size, convenience and picture quality, you can’t find a better camera.

Agree, the RX100 is a great piece of photographic equipment in a small enclosure.

For my first and second cruise (2011 & 2012) I used a DMC-TZ7 (also known as DMC-ZS3 in the US), but after I got caught in the rain with it it stopped working (oops...).

For my last cruise from Perth (Australia) to Asia I used the Sony Cybershot HX20V (identical to HX30V aside from onboard Wifi) and Sony Cybershot RX100 - that's right, two cameras!

The RX100 produces fantastic quality photos and 1080p video but lacks on zoom (only 3.6x optical zoom). Often on a cruise you need the zoom as well (scenic cruising, interesting sights on the way to something else on excursion), so this is why I also take the HX20V travel zoom. The quality of the HX20V is still better than most average pocket cameras, but no where near the quality of the RX100. If you blow up photos taken with the HX20V certain things can look a little 'watercoloured'. You don't really notice this when viewing the photo on a computer (not blown up) or on a digital photo frame, but you might if you get the photo printed large, crop it etc. No such issue with the RX100

Before leaving the stateroom, I ask myself if picture quality or zoom is more important to me whereever I am going. This determines which camera I use :D.

With that said I find myself taking more video than photos! Such as

of Voyager of the Seas repositioning from Australia to Asia, if anyone's interested.

And just a PS: Apparently I take way too many photos/videos, after a comment from someone else in my party saying my camera was out nearly every time they saw me :eek:. No joke on my last 2 week cruise the amount of photos/videos consumed over 150GB!

Edited by marquisite

Prior to our upcoming cruise we have used a very high quality digital camera however my new phone has better quality at 13mp, zoom, hd video, image stabilization and panoramic pics. Some of the Nokia phones are at 42mp so don't down the use of a smartphone for taking cruise pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Your real Digital camera will still beat the camera in any phone regardless of resolution. A quality picture is much more than the number of pixels. The glass is much more important!

Have you tried the Nikon 1aw1? DH just got one and we will try it out next week- look for pictures and a review of the camera in my upcoming Jewel review! He's very excited about it!

I got mine a few weeks ago and tested out the camera at the zoo to make sure I was comfortable with all the settings. Took some great shots - I'm loving it!

Interchangeable lens camera that can also be used underwater without the need for a case? Yes, thank you!

A couple of my favorite shots from this camera - they may not be tropical cruise shots but they quality is pretty nice.

1412424_10152005689290309_1273985823_o.jpg.b708b4d183a1e0c665ea4b7f7e4240db.jpg

1415490_10152005689085309_639877885_o.jpg.44de5f128e644a2a2228be8b7ef119ed.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and poll votes so far.....roughly 2/3 of voters insist on taking good equipment along on their cruises to get quality images.

The input on cameras, memory storage for digital images, and other helpful posts are also appreciated.

Additional feedback/votes/input are welcome.

I did vote earlier for the DSLR and put in a little slam on cell phone photographers, but its also about the person not just the camera. I did get a laugh when I showed up on Jewel for quest and some guy plops himself down in the front with $5000 worth of camera, lenses and a remote flash. Dennis, the CD threw him out.

I did vote earlier for the DSLR and put in a little slam on cell phone photographers, but its also about the person not just the camera. I did get a laugh when I showed up on Jewel for quest and some guy plops himself down in the front with $5000 worth of camera, lenses and a remote flash. Dennis, the CD threw him out.

Agree the photographer is no less than 50% of the result....then again...the best photographer can't make average or below equipment exceed it's limitations.

Also agree that those folks with obnoxiously huge camera equipment need to be sensitive to their positioning and behavior when trying to find "the perfect shot". I've had a few of them literally walk right in front of me as I'm taking a photo, blocking the view.

It depends on the cruise we are on, and what we intend to do before and after the cruise. On our February 2013 cruise to the Southern Caribbean, I took a Nikon point and shoot and an Olympus TG-1 for the beach and snorkeling excursions. On our Panama Canal cruise November 2013 I will take the Olympus and a Nikon D 300 with a 18-270 lens and a monopod.

A downside for me on taking the DSLR is that I carry it in a camera bag that counts as a carry on aboard the flight.

As many have pointed out, I am a prime example of an average photographer, and regardless of what camera and lens I use, I only get good pictures, not spectacular (well perhaps one out of a 100) :D.

We took a tour of Costa Rica a few years ago and many of our fellow travelers were getting great pictures with their point and shoot cameras because of the zoom level and composition.

Can I choose all of the above? I'm a professional photographer but when we go to port we sometimes choose very rigorous activities, like dune bugging or waterfall climbing for example- not anything I'd want to bring my $3000 camera along for so I use a durable underwater camera for those activities, big camera for on the ship and sightseeing and I carry my iPhone with me at all times so I can grab quick shots of food, new traveling buddies, etc without having to drag the big camera bag everywhere I go. I make a choice between quality and convenience and it worked great for me to have all the options!!!

When I was young I used to think that the more equipment I carried and the bigger the bag, the more "professional" I looked. I used to carry two 35mm camera bodies, a flash, an auto winder, a mini tripod, and multiple lenses and filters [along with -- in those days -- film] all in a big bag. I thought I looked similar to my college roommate who was a professional news photographer.

These days, if it won't fit in my right front pants pocket without excessive bulging, it doesn't go. Most recently I have been using a Panasonic travel zoom. It is particularly good [great by my standards] for outdoor scenery, but not so good in low light situations. It accomplishes my purposes, but I am always looking for the best camera that will fit in my pants pocket.

Edited by mjldvlks

When I was young I used to think that the more equipment I carried and the bigger the bag, the more "professional" I looked. I used to carry two 35mm camera bodies, a flash, an auto winder, a mini tripod, and multiple lenses and filters [along with -- in those days -- film] all in a big bag. I thought I looked similar to my college roommate who was a professional news photographer.

These days, if it won't fit in my right front pants pocket without excessive bulging, it doesn't go. Most recently I have been using a Panasonic travel zoom. It is particularly good [great by my standards] for outdoor scenery, but not so good in low light situations. It accomplishes my purposes, but I am always looking for the best camera that will fit in my pants pocket.

Get bigger pockets. :D

WOW - nearly 200 votes!

Thanks to the people who voted.

It's interesting to see that 2/3 of the voters agree that an RCI cruise is worthy of using a real/quality camera to capture their memories.

Interesting way of putting it.

That kind of implies that my recent two week trip to Europe wasn't a worthy trip, since I didn't take a real camera.

not sure if you are trying to pat yourself on the back by using a camera, or putting down people who don't? Again, over time, I have backed off using a real camera, going from two SLR's to a smart phone, purely by seeing how I use the pictures. Or more correctly, don't. They sit in a box, or in a computer file.

It's great that people like to take a lot of pictures. Some don't. And that's ok, too.

Edited by alfaeric

A downside for me on taking the DSLR is that I carry it in a camera bag that counts as a carry on aboard the flight.

I have a camera bag that carries a camera, two additional lenses, large flash, a point and shoot, iPod and two iPads. So it's quite large. It has always been seen as my personal item, I also take on board a carry on. I've done this on many different airlines, both international and domestic, and for many years.

Noticed it was your first post, welcome to CC.

Interesting way of putting it.

That kind of implies that my recent two week trip to Europe wasn't a worthy trip, since I didn't take a real camera.

Not at all. I'm sure your trip was fantastic! :)

That said...since a quality digital camera can be found these days in a size not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes these days...it doesn't seem that taking one along on an expensive trip (especially a cruise) would be difficult.

Again, over time, I have backed off using a real camera, going from two SLR's to a smart phone, purely by seeing how I use the pictures. Or more correctly, don't. They sit in a box, or in a computer file.

It's great that people like to take a lot of pictures. Some don't. And that's ok, too.

One thing that fascinates me is the people that take thousands of photos. Just what do they do with them? As you said, sit in a box or on a computer file most probably. Back in the film days, I thought I took a lot of photos, around 350/400 on a seven day cruise and around 600 on a 12 day one. I used them to make up photo albums and usually ended up using about 60/70% of them. Today, using digital I end up with a few more photos, but not too many more. I couldn't imagine taking 3000 photos, I wouldn't know where to start.

I prefer to use a camera with a view finder, my main objection to p&s cameras is that I can never see what I'm taking when I'm outside in the sun. For me they become a point & guess. I keep my p&s for indoors and underwater.

One thing that fascinates me is the people that take thousands of photos. Just what do they do with them?

That's actually a very valid question.

1) Since people no longer need to deal with the cost and handling of film using digital cameras today...taking multiple shots of the same basic picture to later choose the best one has advantages for a final choice.

2) It's not uncommon to go through perhaps 1400-1500 shots from a 7-day cruise and end up just keeping the best" couple hundred.

3) Presentation using digital pictures today can be done using websites, tablets, digital frames, and other delivery media. It simply makes paper-based pictures less commonplace...but still allows easy sharing of photos with others.

4) While keeping numerous pictures for the sake of keeping them is not likely a prudent approach...going through them after a trip and narrowing the inventory and concurrently "cleaning them up" for quality purposes results in a good set of memories.

5) I have over 9600 digital photos (cleaned up and reduced to just those for keeping) stored on the 64GB SD card in my Android tablet that I take with me traveling all the time. I also have a 64GB flash drive that is very easy to stick in a pocket. With these two options...enjoying (or sharing) anytime/anywhere is easy. It is not unusual to be asked to see various shots from various cruises/trips when visiting friends.

Those would be my responses.

Not at all. I'm sure your trip was fantastic! :)

That said...since a quality digital camera can be found these days in a size not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes these days...it doesn't seem that taking one along on an expensive trip (especially a cruise) would be difficult.

It's a pack of cigarettes MORE than I would carry. Why carry more?

I never thought I would be on the smart phone band wagon, but having one thing instead of a phone (when I'm in the US), an MP3 player, a camera, and some kind of distraction, I have one thing. And it's easier to carry when we are running.

The other thing- i'm interested in the effort people take in photographing everything. Instead of just enjoying the moment. I remember going to Yellowstone, and my dad didn't see Old Faithful first hand, since he was looking through a view finder. Seems kind of pointless to miss moments just for a picture or a movie.

4) While keeping numerous pictures for the sake of keeping them is not likely a prudent approach...going through them after a trip and narrowing the inventory and concurrently "cleaning them up" for quality purposes results in a good set of memories.

I edit ours every night, lots of time before dinner, waiting for Moneypenny to get ready. That way I have it fresh in my memory what I intended to take.