For your Royal Caribbean Cruise - what do you use for taking photos?

How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?

• I insist on using a quality digital camera to capture my memories.
    • I insist on using a quality video camera only.
    • I insist on using a combination quality digital camera that also supports HD quality video.
    • I use whatever camera I have at my disposal, even it it means sacrificing quality for convenience.
    • A smartphone does the trick for me - "good" pictures (in contrast to "great") satisfy my needs.

I've found it interesting that some folks spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, but then rely on a smartphone for pictures to capture their memories.

In our case, nothing less than a quality digital camera with zoom and HD video does the job.

Curious how others either "settle for" a smartphone photo solution or else expect to use a quality camera.

Prior to our most recent cruise we purchased an Olympus Tough and have been very pleased with it. It takes very good pictures for a point-and-shoot, really good underwater pictures and the videos are not bad either. Great little camera for around the $200.00 mark.

Prior to our upcoming cruise we have used a very high quality digital camera however my new phone has better quality at 13mp, zoom, hd video, image stabilization and panoramic pics. Some of the Nokia phones are at 42mp so don't down the use of a smartphone for taking cruise pictures.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Please vote in the poll at the top if possible. Thanks.

As for some of the comments so far...yes...it seems that the latest generation of point-and-shoot cameras having amazing features and fantastic results.

We recently upgraded to a CANON POWERSHOT SX280 HS camera from our 3-year old Canon model...and the imagery, 1080p HD video, and 20X zoom were targeted as features for our 2014 Radiance of the Seas Alaska cruise.

After reading numerous posts...it became clear that a high quality camera with 20X zoom (and video available) was a MUST-HAVE for whale watching and the glacier views.

My last big cruise consisted of a Canon SX40HS and a Canon SD780 IS.

A few months after I got back I purchased a Canon T4i with a 18-135mm STM lens. Also purchased a 50mm f/1.4 USM, a Tamron SP AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC, and a Canon Speedlite 430EX II.

My cruise to nowhere last month I took the camera with the 18-135 and the flash, all safely tucked away in my Tamrac Velocity.

While I think that iphones take some exceptionally nice pics, I personally would never use one as my main source to capture my memories. They just don't have the versatility and capability of a DSLR, or even a high-end P&S.

But, to each his own :)

Edited by sharod

I'm with you on the zoom. I have a Nikon P510 with 42x zoom. That zoom makes a world of difference on pictures. Downside is, it's a bulky camera.

That's a great camera. Perhaps that's where the latest point-and-shoot cameras have an advantage...lower size and weight.

While I think that iphones take some exceptionally nice pics, I personally would never use one as my main source to capture my memories.

You also have some impressive camera hardware!

Overall...my view is that (much like a wedding)...when going on a cruise...when it's over...all you have left afterwards to enjoy the memories are the photos...so great photos are an important part of the experience.

I take a small 5 year old point and shoot Fuji Finepix. It does alright. I don't photojournalize every aspect of my vacation, so it does just fine. I've got a Nikon D40X for hobby shooting but it's a whole separate bag with extra lenses, filters, chargers, etc...would be nice to have on occassion but more hassle than it is worth, so the little Fuji gets the nod for vacation pics.

I've found it interesting that some folks spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, but then rely on a smartphone for pictures to capture their memories.

In our case, nothing less than a quality digital camera with zoom and HD video does the job.

Curious how others either "settle for" a smartphone photo solution or else expect to use a quality camera.

This is perhaps the most prevalent misconception in the world of amateur photography-- that somehow the more expensive camera with the bigger numbers magically takes the best pictures.

I have seen more butchered shots taken with "quality" digital cameras and dSLRs than I could shake a stick at.

I've also seen truly stunning photos taken with a cell phone camera in the hands of a someone with a good eye and understanding of photography fundamentals.

While I have many thousands of dollars worth of dSLR bodies and lenses, I choose to leave all of the heavy cumbersome gear at home for the convenience of my smart phone camera.

There's certainly nothing wrong with bringing an expensive quality camera with you, but it certainly doesn't mean you'll automatically end up with "better" photos than with a smart phone.

In the words of Chase Jarvis-- "The best camera is the one that's with you."

These are some shots from my last few cruises-- all shot with my trustee Samsung GS3. :)

20131104_141537_zps84063fd7.jpg

20120820_142829_zpsd8f934ad.jpg

20120820_094858_zps9a6af4df.jpg

20130826_160331_2_zpsda802607.jpg

20130826_161634_1_zpsa073e1e2.jpg

This is perhaps the most prevalent misconception in the world of amateur photography-- that somehow the more expensive camera with the bigger numbers magically takes the best pictures.

I have seen more butchered shots taken with "quality" digital cameras and dSLRs than I could shake a stick at.

I've also seen truly stunning photos taken with a cell phone camera in the hands of a someone with a good eye and understanding of photography fundamentals.

While I have many thousands of dollars worth of dSLR bodies and lenses, I choose to leave all of the heavy cumbersome gear at home for the convenience of my smart phone camera.

There's certainly nothing wrong with bringing an expensive quality camera with you, but it certainly doesn't mean you'll automatically end up with "better" photos than with a smart phone.

Well said and could not agree more.

Absolutely!!! A person that knows his way around a camera can get a good pic out of just about any camera handed to him. The key is getting to know "how" to take a picture. Getting out and experimenting with the different modes. Learn how to compose a shot. Heck, take a class! Learn to use what you have, and not expect that buying a new camera is suddenly going to give you the ability to get great pics.

My favorite saying is one by Ansel Adams, “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!”

Quite true. Very nice pix by the way (given the equipment and benefits from some very good daylight lighting).

But there are also some related realities:

1) The best camera used by an average (or below) photographer generally renders average or below results.

2) A great photographer using average or lower equipment can compensate for shortcomings, but can't exceed the capabilities of the equipment - which are often limited in lighting, focus, zoom, range, and other factors. This especially applies to smartphone cameras - numerous limits.

3) A very good photographer (not necessarily professional grade) with very good (not necessarily the best) equipment can typically get very good results.

4) The best results come from a great photographer with great equipment.

5) Photographic quality is often in the eyes of the beholder - much like art.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

On my last two cruises, I've used a Canon Powershot SX20 IS. I got some of the best shots and videos I have ever taken with this camera. Since then, I have upgraded to a Canon Powershot SX50 HS. This one sports a 50x zoom and it paid for itself many times over in a recent trip to Estes Park, Colorado where I took some fabulous photos of the local wildlife. I cannot wait to take this camera to Alaska!

I mostly use a Panasonic Lumix high end FZ150 bridge digital P & S. 24x optical zoom and 4x digital that yields a top zoom of 96 that gives good results in bright light with the extreme setting. Can also shoot 10 frames per second stills and take usable pics in darkness with spotlight. Smaller then the usual DSLR.

I shoot Canon and use 2.8is to 4.0 lenses

And that means nothing....... I only like 1% of all the photos I take

It really doesn't matter what one takes photos with, as long as the person taking them, is happy with the results. That is all that matters

Please vote in the poll at the top if possible. Thanks.

As for some of the comments so far...yes...it seems that the latest generation of point-and-shoot cameras having amazing features and fantastic results.

We recently upgraded to a CANON POWERSHOT SX280 HS camera from our 3-year old Canon model...and the imagery, 1080p HD video, and 20X zoom were targeted as features for our 2014 Radiance of the Seas Alaska cruise.

After reading numerous posts...it became clear that a high quality camera with 20X zoom (and video available) was a MUST-HAVE for whale watching and the glacier views.

I too upgraded my Canon point and shoot in the spring and now use the Canon SX260 with 20x zoom and get great results. I plan on using it for our Alaska Cruise this summer on the Radiance.

Here of some before and after photo using the zoom. The photos were taking across the lagoon at Epcot without using a tripod. I took the photos to really see how good the zooming works. This was also the first time I was using my upgraded camera. I only use point and shoots since it fits easy in my small pocketbook. I can't be bothered with a bulky camera and all the lenses.

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0241-1.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0242.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0244.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0231.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0230.jpg.html

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_0232.jpg.html

I too upgraded my Canon point and shoot in the spring and now use the Canon SX260 with 20x zoom and get great results. I plan on using it for our Alaska Cruise this summer on the Radiance.

Here of some before and after photo using the zoom. The photos were taking across the lagoon at Epcot without using a tripod. I took the photos to really see how good the zooming works. This was also the first time I was using my upgraded camera. I only use point and shoots since it fits easy in my small pocketbook. I can't be bothered with a bulky camera and all the lenses.

WOW.

That is quite a "ZOOM" on some of those photos....especially at that distance. The before and after really tell a story.

Usually my iPhone does it for me. Except recently I bought a cheap for underwater pics which turned out awful. I found out my company has discounts on GoPros, those $400 cameras that can go 80m underwater and are designed for shooting action video. I can't wait to try it out on my upcoming cruise on the Brilliance. I believe it's also the camera thats used in that time-lapse video that everyone's seen around here.

Prior to our upcoming cruise we have used a very high quality digital camera however my new phone has better quality at 13mp, zoom, hd video, image stabilization and panoramic pics. Some of the Nokia phones are at 42mp so don't down the use of a smartphone for taking cruise pictures.

There is more to good photos than a pixel rating, there is also optics. I hate cell phone photographers at times. I can't count the number of times I have been about to take a great pic and have had dozens of 8 year old girls run in front and stick there Iphones in the face of the subject.

There is more to good photos than a pixel rating, there is also optics. I hate cell phone photographers at times.

Yes...very true.

That gets missed in all the "how many megapixels" hype for both smartphone and regular camera advertising. I wonder how many people realize lots of the cheaper cameras and smartphones have plastic lenses? You don't have to pay a fortune for good glass optics...but it makes a big difference in the results.

I've seen plenty of smartphone photos that appear to be nice on the phone...but when you print them out in 4X6 or 5X7...you find out that the quality of the image is no where near what one thought.

I've also noticed a trend towards people getting over-saturation of color in photos.

On a cruise...there are plenty of opportunities to find deep blue waters (or turquoise)...as well as various colorful scenery and vegetation.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001