For your Royal Caribbean Cruise - what do you use for taking photos?

How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. How do you capture your photos on your Royal Caribbean Cruise?

• I insist on using a quality digital camera to capture my memories.
    • I insist on using a quality video camera only.
    • I insist on using a combination quality digital camera that also supports HD quality video.
    • I use whatever camera I have at my disposal, even it it means sacrificing quality for convenience.
    • A smartphone does the trick for me - "good" pictures (in contrast to "great") satisfy my needs.

Since I could only pick 1, I chose the camera. But in addition to the camera, we also take a video camera because taking the video on the camera uses up too much memory card and battery

Hmmm....our new point and shoot with a 64GB SD card inside handles more than 9000 high quality images, 4 3/4 hours of HD video, or a combination of both that has yet to be proven a limit on a 7-day cruise. All we do is bring one spare battery and the corresponding (very small) charging unit...no worries.

Hmmm....our new point and shoot with a 64GB SD card inside handles more than 9000 high quality images, 4 3/4 hours of HD video, or a combination of both that has yet to be proven a limit on a 7-day cruise. All we do is bring one spare battery and the corresponding (very small) charging unit...no worries.

I would strongly urge anyone not to go up with anything less than a 32 GB card. And take 2 if possible. I always take my laptop along so I can download all of my photos at the end of each day, thus clearing out the cards.

WOW.

That is quite a "ZOOM" on some of those photos....especially at that distance. The before and after really tell a story.

That's why I posted them so someone can see the difference while standing in the same spot. It was the first time I used this camera and had fun playing with all the options/settings to see what the camera can do.

I liked the zoom, especially coming from a point and shoot. It's not a professional camera but it works well for vacation and everyday photos. It fits in my small cross body purse that I use for traveling.

It's also great for taking photos while in motion, like in a car or attraction.

Here is another pic.

Sunrise over Manhattan, was on a cruise ship.

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_2418.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

http://s989.photobucket.com/user/dragonfly94-2010/media/IMG_2196.jpg.html

Thanks for the feedback and poll votes so far.....roughly 2/3 of voters insist on taking good equipment along on their cruises to get quality images.

The input on cameras, memory storage for digital images, and other helpful posts are also appreciated.

Additional feedback/votes/input are welcome.

Trying to keep this with a RC since this is a RC board, we have traveled/cruised with RC so much, and tried so many different cameras, DSLR to complex point and shoot, to simple point and shoot forgot the underwater ones. On one cruise around South America, my wife took the DSLR, and yes it was worth the effort. She also takes a video camera, however, we have found that the video taken from a newer DSLR is just as good as the video camera, but a bit of a PITA when down loading the disk to a MAC, so we still take the Video camera. My lady has a bit of a photo journalist mind set, but recently she realized that with out time or timing for light conditions i.e.: tours, one cannot capture the great photo that are as seen in NG LOL. We still take a lot of pics just to document our travels, and I have watched her change cameras from the DSLR now to my Canon simple point and shoot with a very wide angle lens, but unfortunately a short zoom, however it takes great, pics in 99% of all light and environment conditions.

Travel camera for us are (usually) complex point and shoot, video camera, and my/our Canon simple point and shoot(fits in travel vest or any pocket)

If interested and if legal on CC some of her video are on youtube( please remember she/we are not videographers)

http://www.youtube.com/user/nansea1?feature=c4-feed-lik

Edited by north29

I can't see myself lugging a DSLR around, it is just too heavy and bulky for me.

So I use a higher-end point and shoot, for the convenience.

It used to be the Canon Powershot S95.

I have recently upgraded to the Sony RX100II.

Cool - used that same Canon S95 for years here too - a great camera. The Canon SX280 HS is my recent upgrade.

I do still see plenty of folks lugging the heavy DSLR's and the more recent ones keep getting lighter and smaller. That said, I'm a point-and-shoot person at this point too.

To be safe and have enough room for photos, I plan on bringing my point and shoot digi Canon camera with extra battery pack and SD cards as well as my Iphone. The Iphone is so convenient, but I may fill it as I like to take some vids as well. So both will help!

After carrying a bulky DLSR around one cruise that we ended up leaving in the cabin most of the time and not having any pictures, we instead bought a decent Point and Shoot (CanonS95). I love the camera, it fits in my pocket or purse, and I don't forget to enjoy my surroundings in lieu of taking pictures.

I am the opposite, I guess. If I have the large camera, I am more concerned with getting the "shots" and not enjoying everything else. With my P&S, it's there for when I want it without any fuss. I also take some with my iphone for immediate access to upload, if I want. Although those are typically more candid photos.

My wife is the photographer in our family. She uses a Nikon 5100 with a Tamron 18-270 lens and gets great results.

As someone said in an earlier post, it's really all about whatever makes the photographer happy. There is no right or wrong answer. Just my opinion.

Happy cruising everyone!

I usually have no less than 4 cameras on a big vacation.

I have my Canon SLR and a couple of lenses, but given its size I mostly use it for taking pictures from my balcony on a cruise (I usually make 1 trip around the ship with it, but it's a pain to carry). The polarizing filter on there is great for shots of the water, and it does well in low-light situations such as sunsets.

My go-to camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS19 compact camera with 20x zoom and stereo HD video capability. The pictures aren't quite as good as the SLR, but I can slip it into my pocket or put it on my belt and have it with me most of the time.

When I'm going to a beach or snorkeling I'll take my Panasonic Lumix TS25 waterproof camera. It has a much smaller aperture and zoom range as the previous two, and the pictures aren't quite as good, but I don't have to worry about sand or water messing it up or fiddling with a waterproof case. It's also smaller and thinner than the other two cameras. It replaced the Kodak underwater camera which I used on my first cruise (the Kodak didn't have image stabilization, zoom, or underwater color correction, which made it tough to get good pictures out of).

Finally I have my phone camera, which is the only one that fits in my pocket on formal night without an unsightly bulge.

When I'm going to a beach or snorkeling I'll take my Panasonic Lumix TS25 waterproof camera. It has a much smaller aperture and zoom range as the previous two, and the pictures aren't quite as good, but I don't have to worry about sand or water messing it up or fiddling with a waterproof case.

Those are a great option for someone who can live with the depth restrictions. I keep researching hoping that the industry will have improved the "underwater cameras" to the point where my partner can dive without worry. Alas, we will continue to fiddle with a waterproof case.

My camera choice depends on what I am doing that particular day.

I have a Sony Alpha70 DSLR that is my camera of choice when I want to take special photos. I have a several lenses so I can have wide view for architectural photos or extreme zoom for wildlife. I brought my camera on my past couple cruises (Eastern Med & Galapagos) and took some fabulous photos. However, I wouldn't bring my Sony if I were planning to spend a day at the beach where it could get dirty, stolen, or damaged. Also, the camera and lenses are bulky so I don't bring it unless I know it is likely that I will want some photos.

I have an Olympus TG-830 P&S camera. It's small, rugged, and waterproof so I bring it when I'm snorkeling, going to the beach, or just want a few "casual" type photos. The photo quality is good but I don't like going through several menus to adjust the settings.

My cell phone has a camera but I only use it when I don't have another camera available or I want to send a photo in a text message.

Can't wait to try my new mirrorless and underwater camera on our upcoming cruises - Nikon 1 AW 1. Not as big as traditional DSLR's and waterproof! Can go down to 49ft which will work for some of our scuba dives. For anything deeper DH has a GoPro.

As others have said the joy in photos is what the photographer gets out of them - whether it be a simple camera phone of more expensive gear.

The cameras I don't get are the iPads - I've seen more people on my last cruise and even around home using an iPad for photographs. Nothing worse than trying to take a photo only to have someone hold up a 10 x 7 iPad and block my view.

Please vote in the poll at the top if possible. Thanks.

I didn't see there was a poll because your signature is so wide it pushed the poll off my screen. (I'm not stalking you, but I posted this comment to you in two threads where I happened to find you so you hopefully see it).

Anyway to answer the question, before our last cruise we bought a Canon A4000iS. It has 8x optical zoom, whereas our old one had 4x. It makes quite a difference, but only if you use the image stabilization. Optical zoom is what is important. Lots of cameras talk about how much zoom they have, but it's not optical, it's digital.

Only thing I wish our camera had was a viewfinder. I just find the LCD gets washed out, especially in the sunny Caribbean! So you can't see all the detail of what you are trying to photograph!

I just find a DSLR is inconvenient to carry around all the time. However it wouldn't be out of the question if we ever find we need better quality pictures than what our pocket camera does.

I didn't see there was a poll because your signature is so wide it pushed the poll off my screen. (I'm not stalking you, but I posted this comment to you in two threads where I happened to find you so you hopefully see it).

Not sure what browser you're using, but it easily fits on the screen here with Chrome.

Carrying a big heavy DSLR Camera around on a relaxing vacation is not something I enjoy doing. (I like having a drink in one hand and being able to take a picture with the other!!!)

For my last cruise, I purchased the Sony RX100. I could not have been any happier!

The pictures it took were pretty close in quality compared to my buddy’s DSLR he lugged around with him from beach to beach. He had to carry a backpack with him and all I had to do was hand the RX100 to the GF to keep in her purse. For the size, convenience and picture quality, you can’t find a better camera.

If I knew more about photography and could justify spending the $$$, I would go with the Sony RX1(a giant step up from the RX100). It still fits in a small bag and you can change the lens.

Not sure what browser you're using, but it easily fits on the screen here with Chrome.

Using IE (at work), and your signature could use a line break after each of your cruise countdowns. The way it shows up in IE, is one continuous line, causing a horrible side scroll to show up.. ugly.

I prefer to use a DSLR camera with an assortment of lenses. You just can't replicate those pictures with a point and shoot. however, not to say point and shoots are bad because they aren't by any means.

Photography is an art and in good hands, a point and shoot can take some stunning pictures. But I still prefer a DSLR to get me shots like this:

2062.jpg

(Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean in Labadee, Haiti)

That is the raw image. If I had photoshop/paint shop pro or any other image rendering software something like that could be transitioned and look 100 times better.

But again, not knocking a point and shoot because this was captured with a cheapo Olympus:

MonarchoftheSeas036_zps83ca7a79.jpg

(Monarch of the Seas Bahama's Cruise, Port Canaveral, FL)

And then this, while not from a cruise, was taken with my iPhone 4s:

2070.jpg

(Staten Island Ferry, Lower Manhattan, NY - Battery Park)

I'm not by means the best photographer out there as I am more of an aim the camera, focus and take the picture type of person. But I still think great pictures are to be had from any image capturing device.

Using IE (at work), and your signature could use a line break after each of your cruise countdowns. The way it shows up in IE, is one continuous line, causing a horrible side scroll to show up.. ugly.

Could also be his monitor size vs mine or yours. I am also using IE and a 23" montior. Not sure how far to the right you have to scroll, but I am only missing the last of his cruise countdowns so it's not too terrible for me.

Edited by G85 SS

Could also be his monitor size vs mine or yours. I am also using IE and a 23" montior. Not sure how far to the right you have to scroll, but I am only missing the last of his cruise countdowns so it's not too terrible for me.

My screen isn't all that big, so I only get half of the page- have to scroll sideways to see anything. I really wish people would fix their sig's so that the rest of us don't suffer.

Anyway.... to the original question

I originally used a pretty good SLR 35mm camera. Took almost 20 roll of film for my honeymoon, and to my horror, every single picture with me in it- there's a bag and a strap going across my chest. :eek:

Got a smaller bag.

Then started noticing how we were using the pictures.

So we started carrying a point and shoot.

Which then turned into a couple of point and shoot digital cameras. Last one was 8Mb, which gives you an idea of how old.

And paid MORE attention to how we use pictures.

So started taking pictures with an iPod Touch. And that satisfied all the the needs for taking a TON of pictures where we use barely any of them. And the ones we do use, as a collage for Xmas cards, our smartphones work just fine for us.

And since we run, we have a camera on us all of the time. We run to be tourists, having a small light camera for pictures we barely use is perfect. No, they are not perfect. But good enough.