Aleyska Resort

lovetotraveltx

Usually one night at Alyeska is enough. The highlight of the area is the tram. Really nice views when the weather is good. If you hike there is a nice one called the Winner Creek Trail. Mostly flat with several boardwalks. The reward is a hand tram (different from the resort tram) that crosses a creek. The trail can be accessed from just below the tram at the resort or for a much shorter trail can be accessed from the Crow Creek side. The Double Musky is very good for dinner as is the Bake Shop for breakfast/lunch. Two nights is good if you plan to explore Turnagain Arm, Portage Glacier/Valley, Wildlife Conservation Center using it as a base. This really depends on how many land days you have. A car is necessary in this area.

What are your interests? When would you arrive and when would you depart? Spending just 1 night anywhere means you really are not spending much time at that place, since you are traveling both days. There is a ton to do in the Girdwood/Portage Valley area depending on your interests. You could easily spend 2-3 nights in that area and not run out of things to do.

It also depends on your overall itinerary and what else- if anything you are planning? How many days do you have? Do you have the interest in the above listed activities? Are you shortchanging elsewhere?

I always advocate for the entire itinerary to be thought out, fine tuned a few times and planned, before making reservations.

Glaciers has provided the best summary of the amount of time needed at Alyeska. While the tram ride is great and the views spectacular on a clear day, during the summer (non-ski season) the amount of time to spend there really depends on how much hiking someone wants to do.

We also like the Double Musky for dinner.

Assuming you have a car ... visit the Wildlife Conservation Center, Potters Marsh, Portage Lake Visitor Center, if salmon are spawning go to the viewing platforms at Williwaw, pan for gold. For suggested stopping places, look at the drives in this link called 'Turnagain Arm" and "Portage Valley".

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

You could also google the Girdwood Alaska Chamber of commerce to find information on things to do.

Edited by mapleleaves

This is a gorgeous resort. A friend of mine got married there. There is enough to do for several days. Enjoy your time there. We stayed 2 nights and wished we would have spent more time there. We used it as home base and went places from there.

Edited by Casey12

We're going to Alaska for the first time next year and we are staying at this hotel. We are going to Crow's Creek mine besides a few other places that people have already mentioned.

Edited by Kimahri

We don't really hike or raft. Love to walk but on flat ground. My husband is most interested in wildlife tours/sightings.

We are planning about a 5/6 night land tour on our own before taking a south-bound cruise through glacier bay.

Very loose plans: fly in to anchorage. Drive to aleyska for 2 nights then Denali for 2 nights with a possible stop at teelkneta(spelling?) on way.

We would like to do salmon hatchery. Any in this area?

Wanted to do gold mining and no. Pole but heard they are both very touristy and not really worth it.

Thinking last day return car to anchorage and stay close to transportation to cruise port next day??

We don't really hike or raft. Love to walk but on flat ground. My husband is most interested in wildlife tours/sightings.

We are planning about a 5/6 night land tour on our own before taking a south-bound cruise through glacier bay.

Very loose plans: fly in to anchorage. Drive to aleyska for 2 nights then Denali for 2 nights with a possible stop at teelkneta(spelling?) on way.

We would like to do salmon hatchery. Any in this area?

Wanted to do gold mining and no. Pole but heard they are both very touristy and not really worth it.

Thinking last day return car to anchorage and stay close to transportation to cruise port next day??

You need to determine, what you are going to do at Alyeska if you stay 2 nights? Frankly, your "list" is all over the place, and really not doable. Denali needs 2 nights, but also, the allowance of 6 hours transit between Anchorage and Denali. IF you are stopping at Talkeetna, this is the place for flightseeing. With the wildlife priority, is this, in the wild, or captivity? In the wild- "must does" are Denali and Kenai Fjords. You don't state where you are sailing from? But, with your short time, if sailing out of Whittier- keep your car and pay the drop fee with Avis. Determine the "value" of your time and if you want to miss out on touring due to the current plan?

Salmon depends on the timeframe, and where you are.

when is this trip? what time (approx) would your flight arrive in Anchorage? and does the ship depart from Seward or Whittier?

I'd say gold panning in Fairbanks was pretty tourist but it was still fun and itneresting. There is gold panning at Crow Creek and Indian Valley near Girdwood. Check out their web sites.

You might consider driving to Denali/Talkeetna first for two nights and then back to Girdwood/Alyeska. Keep the car if you don’t mind the rental drop fee at your port and it will provide much more flexibility. You won’t need to back track to Anchorage to pick up alternate transportation to the port and you could just continue south to the port on the day of your cruise, or earlier, from Alyeska.

North Pole would be quite a deviation and for most not worth it. Crow Creek Mine near Alyeska is one of the more realistic gold panning places. You can actually pan in the creek where most have you panning in a seeded trough.

Juneau is the place with a nice Hatchery. Macaulay Salmon Hatchery.

You need to determine, what you are going to do at Alyeska if you stay 2 nights? Frankly, your "list" is all over the place, and really not doable. Denali needs 2 nights, but also, the allowance of 6 hours transit between Anchorage and Denali. IF you are stopping at Talkeetna, this is the place for flightseeing. With the wildlife priority, is this, in the wild, or captivity? In the wild- "must does" are Denali and Kenai Fjords. You don't state where you are sailing from? But, with your short time, if sailing out of Whittier- keep your car and pay the drop fee with Avis. Determine the "value" of your time and if you want to miss out on touring due to the current plan?

Salmon depends on the timeframe, and where you are.

Sorry, we are not traveling until June, 2015. So I haven't been able to book ship or flights yet. Just trying to research and gather info. That's why I said my plan is very loose.

Just trying to figure out what I want to do and where I want to stay. I heard 2 nights in Denali works?

Thank you!

We are thinking of starting our land tour before our princess cruise. Should we stay 1 night or 2? What are must do's at resort and in area?

Thank you!

We stayed 2 nights at Alyeska this past June and loved it. It's a gorgeous hotel. The tram to the top of the hill was a highlight, although I wouldn't advise wasting your money at 7 Glaciers.

I'm not sure how interested you would be in what we did since you are probably embarking out of Whittier, but we found pleasure in just driving the highway and checking out all the sights. I recommend spending 1 day in Whittier. We did the 26 Glaciers tour on the Klondike Express after carefully deciding between them and Major Marine. This is a tour I highly recommend.

Along the drive, there are numerous places to just stop and explore. There are a ton of flat trails and campsites, one of which leads to a nice avalanche chute. You can see it from the road.

While in Girdwood, check out Jack Sprat for dinner. It's a neat little place with great food. I actually liked it better than 7 Glaciers.

We stayed 2 nights at Alyeska this past June pand loved it. It's a gorgeous hotel. The tram to the top of the hill was a highlight, although I wouldn't advise wasting your money at 7 Glaciers.

I'm not sure how interested you would be in what we did since you are probably embarking out of Whittier, but we found pleasure in just driving the highway and checking out all the sights. I recommend spending 1 day in Whittier. We did the 26 Glaciers tour on the Klondike Express after carefully deciding between them and Major Marine. This is a tour I highly recommend.

Along the drive, there are numerous places to just stop and explore. There are a ton of flat trails and campsites, one of which leads to a nice avalanche chute. You can see it from the road.

While in Girdwood, check out Jack Sprat for dinner. It's a neat little place with great food. I actually liked it better than 7 Glaciers.

Thank you!