Opting out of Automatic Gratuities

That is actually an interesting question. We have almost always paid more than the recommended amount when we paid cash at the end. The last cruise that we took is the first one where we pre-paid the gratuities. I decided to pay them up front and be done with it. And I mean DONE with it. But our cabin steward did some things for me that I felt I wanted to reward with extra. So even though I thought I was done with it I guess I wasn't. My point being that I think that I am more motivated to pay more when I pay in cash but I ended up paying more anyway. But if he had not done a couple of special things for me I THINK that I would have just left it with what I had pre-paid.

How is that for a wishy washy answer?:eek:

^This. :)

I don't know why but when someone asks how to get automatic tips off their account for any reason it translates to me as they don't want to pay tips and are using these boards to figure out how to do it. Just my humble opinion.

Well thank you kindly for your statement, I however cruised in March and left the 12 $ a day on my account. Which really is 36 per person because my mother and sister are on my sea pass account. However speaking to people after and thinking about it, i rather hand the envelope directly to my waiter, cabin attendant etc, to each his or her own. And really i have a hell of a lot of OBC on this cruise so it wouldn't matter if it came off automatically or not, so i'm not trying to 'get out of it' how you put it. And even if I or someone on here was trying to get out of it, how does it affect you?

Well thank you kindly for your statement, I however cruised in March and left the 12 $ a day on my account. Which really is 36 per person because my mother and sister are on my sea pass account. However speaking to people after and thinking about it, i rather hand the envelope directly to my waiter, cabin attendant etc, to each his or her own. And really i have a hell of a lot of OBC on this cruise so it wouldn't matter if it came off automatically or not, so i'm not trying to 'get out of it' how you put it. And even if I or someone on here was trying to get out of it, how does it affect you?

Steph, it is very important in a thread like this on a board like this to realize that you should not take things personally. That poster just wants to put that thought out in the cruiseosphere. His superiority is very important to him. Not a reflection on you.

Water off a duck's back - your best approach.

:)

I don't know why but when someone asks how to get automatic tips off their account for any reason it translates to me as they don't want to pay tips and are using these boards to figure out how to do it. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

You are naive then, jmho.

recently on a rci cruise I asked my waiter which he preferred.. the cash envelopes or the prepaid tips... he and a few other waiters said they preferred the prepaid as it goes directly into their accounts... and there seemed to be less skippingout of tips with people who didn't show up on envelope nite....he also said anything he gets on top of the mandatory tip he can keep so it motivates them to give as best service as they can in hopes of receiving even more than the mandatory tip

This is my understanding of the whole process, especially the part about getting to keep anything above and beyond the mandatory amount. I just wish they would call it a daily service charge like some othes lines. Maybe it would calm down tipping threads because then the only thing that would be called a tip is, if and when someone give something extra.

=caribbean sailor;40614371

They may be more motivated,After paying Two hundred forty Dollars in so called gratuities.I am less motivated to tip more. :) :)

How are you coming up with $240, how many people? What amount would you like to be paying that you might be motivated to give more?

Edited by iheartbda

How are you coming up with $240, how many people? What amount would you like to be paying that you might be motivated to give more?

He is obviously taking a specific cruise - must have been a 10-nighter, and giving a total for two people.

As if the total amount has anything to do with how much a worker deserves! It's a per person per day amount. It's not "a lot of money" ("too much money") just because YOU have chosen to take a longer cruise and are considering two people's gratuities!.

We pre pay gratuities as we see it as part of the expense of having a cruise. To pre pay it means that I have budgeted for it and pay it off slowly leading up to the final payment day.

However I then usually tip extra in cash in the envelope on the last day for anything extra special they have done :)

I have seen an interesting article somewhere a long time ago (I am sure some one on here will be able to post a link) from a room steward I think it was. They said that if some one did not pre pay gratuities then RCI deducted payments from their account based on the fact that they are likely to have had a tip in cash and not declared it.

I am sure this is likely to start something....but interested in people's thoughts :D

We have done the prepaid gratuities ever since MTD started since we love MTD. Love prepaying and not having to worry about it. We still always tip extra at the end of the cruise just like we did when we paid our tips in cash. But it is nice not to have to take the extra cash to pay all the tips like we used to

We have not noticed one difference in service. In fact, we normally feel our waitstaff in MTD is exceptional (and we normally get the same waitstaff every night). Our cabin person is always great also.

For me prepaying just means one more thing taken care of before I leave for the cruise and then we can just add the extra where we feel warranted. And I agree with some of the others, the staff wants those comment card mentions as that really affects their days off, etc. That is very important to them.

RCI is now charging tips automatically, just like the other lines. I am surprised it took them that long to switch.

All other cruiselines including Celebrity have been doing this for some time already.

What I do not understand is why are they requireing prepaid tips for MyTimeDining if they are charging autotips later anyway.

Edited by Tatka

We have done the prepaid gratuities ever since MTD started since we love MTD. Love prepaying and not having to worry about it. We still always tip extra at the end of the cruise just like we did when we paid our tips in cash. But it is nice not to have to take the extra cash to pay all the tips like we used to

We have not noticed one difference in service. In fact, we normally feel our waitstaff in MTD is exceptional (and we normally get the same waitstaff every night). Our cabin person is always great also.

For me prepaying just means one more thing taken care of before I leave for the cruise and then we can just add the extra where we feel warranted. And I agree with some of the others, the staff wants those comment card mentions as that really affects their days off, etc. That is very important to them.

Agree completely with this! I like having all of the tips paid for before we leave for the airport. We generally tip a bit extra for our cabin attendant at the end and have been know to slide some extra cash for bartenders that have taken care of us. I don't concern myself with how the money is divied up.

Well tipping is not mandatory as far as I know. Like if you go to a restaurant, they will not stop you from leaving without leaving a tip. Or at a hotel, or anywhere. Yes, I understand they work hard and most of their income comes from tips. But it is not mandatory so I dont see why people would get irritated by others not tipping if they do not want to.
Empathy for the people getting stiffed.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I like the auto tips because then I don't spend part of the last day trying to get the right change together. I did like it when RCI gave the vouchers to put in an envelope to give out to folks. We give extra to the most and very attentive staff (and did when tipping was purely cash also). On one trip we did not give extra to the cabin steward whom we never met and the cabin was not kept as "clean" as on other trips. I have been told, on another line, that the staff is immediately informed if auto tips are taken off.

As regards to MTD, might it be that RCI feels that if passengers have not established a rapport to the changing wait staff, that passengers might not tip at all? Just my thoughts.

Automatic tips, makes life easier............ However, I am willing to bet a beer, that the crew likes them even better, not just for cruisers skipping out, but many cruisers are probably like me, when the envelopes arrive for what ever reason since I have paid my gratuities, I feel compelled , guilty, or what ever, if I do not put some extra in the envelopes. I have a hard time on the last day just saying thank you. LOL

The auto tips, have used them since MTD was introduced. However, I am willing to bet a beer, that the crew likes the them even better. When the envelopes arrive in the cabin, for what ever reason since I have paid my gratuities, I feel compelled , guilty, or what ever, if I do not put some extra in the envelopes. I have a hard time on the last day just saying thank you to those who have made my cruise great(well most of the time). LOL

Sent from my DROID4 using Forums mobile app

I feel the same way! However I do think that some folks just don't like change. For sure though, most if not all of the folks that want to stiff the people that serve them will opp out of the automatic tips.

We pre pay gratuities as we see it as part of the expense of having a cruise. To pre pay it means that I have budgeted for it and pay it off slowly leading up to the final payment day.

However I then usually tip extra in cash in the envelope on the last day for anything extra special they have done :) :D

Agree completely with this! I like having all of the tips paid for before we leave for the airport. We generally tip a bit extra for our cabin attendant at the end and have been know to slide some extra cash for bartenders that have taken care of us. I don't concern myself with how the money is divied up.

I agree, I prepay happily; I like to have things taken care of as much as possible before we cruise. It is part of the cruise cost, and I wish they would just call it a "service charge" up front.

I would only remove the gratuities if there was a serious problem with service; I have never had to do so. I'll be honest, we've had a few rough nights in the MDR, but I realize that things happen in the kitchen or that the service staff might be short-handed. And before I would remove gratuities, I would speak to someone in charge and give them a chance to make it right.

I understand that the personal touch of directly tipping those who serve you well is diminished when prepaid grats are in place. However, a cruise ship is a big operation, and there are so many people who work various venues or behind the scenes to provide service that make my cruise enjoyable. I wouldn't even know whom to tip!

And I do believe that many people remove the gratuities and then tip very little or do not tip at all. I mean no offense to people who prefer the personal touch of handing cash to their servers. I am just saying that the servers often do not receive gratuities as they should. I traveled with a large party once, and there were several people who refused to tip the recommended amount. They were traveling with children and did not think they should pay the gratuities for their kids. So they didn't.

I love the pre-pay! I hate to scramble around for tips, etc., not because I'm cheap, but because it is stressful for me. Obviously, there are those who feel very differently. They get a lot of satisfaction out of it.

Personally, I've always felt pampered on my cruises and even before, when we payed tips at the end, and I never paid small tips as we went as an incentive for good service. I've also found that I get great service when I project a positive, friendly and thankful attitude to service personnel. I am firm believer that, in general, you get back what you put out. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at someone, you have to treat them with respect and empathy. 99% of the employees on the ships are doing their best.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you manage your expectations about being pampered on RCI. If, by pampered, you mean not having to cook your meals for 7 days, then you'll be fine. But, if you think it means that they will cater to your every need, then you may want to choose a cruise line with a higher employee to passenger ratio that costs much, much more. No matter how much money you throw at them, RCI's employees are doing the best they can under the circumstances (a 24 hours/day job!)

Koohiichan

I also love to prepay the grats as part of my holiday cost. It is out of the way, coming from the UK we don't do a set % here, so having it worked out for you is a blessing. That's not to say we didn't give extra if we felt it was deserved.

To come.

Alaska Aug 2013

Done.

Oasis of the seas 2013

Independence of the seas Aug 2009.

I don't like prepay, as we book early, why tie up additional money? I am fine with automated tips though.

I think RCI is the only company that charges them upfront if you want flex dining. Why?

I don't like prepay, as we book early, why tie up additional money? I am fine with automated tips though.

I think RCI is the only company that charges them upfront if you want flex dining. Why?

The prepay for MTD was initiated long ago as you had different waiters every night and this was to ensure that they were all tipped appropriately. With now having he auto gratuities it would make sense for RCI to move away from the prepaid and have everyone on the auto gratuity.

This would mean a change to their IT system and we all know how well they do that.:D

Well, prepaid are never paid till FP, unless you pay the whole cruise off early.

So the small amount of money for PP tips is never tied up for very long at all, or that's not an excuse

Steph, it is very important in a thread like this on a board like this to realize that you should not take things personally. That poster just wants to put that thought out in the cruiseosphere. His superiority is very important to him. Not a reflection on you.

Water off a duck's back - your best approach.

:)

True Merion_Mom, i guess being at work already annoyed and then replying to comments is not the best thing? LOL

He is obviously taking a specific cruise - must have been a 10-nighter, and giving a total for two people.

As if the total amount has anything to do with how much a worker deserves! It's a per person per day amount. It's not "a lot of money" ("too much money") just because YOU have chosen to take a longer cruise and are considering two people's gratuities!.

Absolutely agree. Just wanted a little more info to see what he's really crabbing about.;) Have people ever thought that they would be paying more tips if they were eating three squares in a land restaurant? But then there are those who throw a dollar bill on the table at the end of a meal and call it a day.