Is There a Polite Way to Say This?

Lokip53

As I've mentioned in other recent posts, I'm a generally happy, roll with the punches, glass is half full kind of guy.

But there was one thing on our last few cruises that was really driving me crazy (and I saw it numerous times on my cruise last week)-- the seemingly complete ignorance by a small but noticeable percentage of cruise passengers of the fact that it's not acceptable to shove your hands in your mouth and/or lick your fingers immediately before grabbing a serving utensil in the Windjammer.

Seriously people?? Are you THAT hungry that you just had to jam that pastry/ piece of bacon/etc in your mouth? Are you going to run out of energy during the 30 foot walk to your table?

And are you so rushed that you couldn't unfold the green cloth napkin that is IN YOUR HAND as opposed to engaging in an oral act with your finger that would get you an NC-17 rating if it were filmed??

It absolutely blows my mind. It's amazing that there aren't more illness outbreaks on cruise ships.

That's all. Just a little conversation starter/venting session.

I feel better already... :)

can you say noro :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking every time I saw it.

Conscientious crew always wiping things down, changing out utensils.

Mindful passengers washing their hands and doing their part.

And then someone comes along and spreads their DNA all over the utensils that everyone has to touch. Can't make it up.

I have gotten to the point where I really have no issue looking at someone and asking them if they really have to lick their fingers? I figure if they are going to be so gross and inconsiderate then why should I feel awkward about speaking up.

I have gotten to the point where I really have no issue looking at someone and asking them if they really have to lick their fingers? I figure if they are going to be so gross and inconsiderate then why should I feel awkward about speaking up.

This thought really crossed my mind this week-- but you hit the nail on the head. It's just awkward to address.

Good on you for doing it, though.

The people that do this are hopeless slobs. We cannot change them. My primary interest when I see this is to protect myself and other passengers. I tell whomever is working that station in the Windjammer what I saw, and that they need to change out ALL the utensils in that section.

Then, I sanitize my hands before I eat. But, I do that anyway when I eat in any buffet.

The people that do this are hopeless slobs. We cannot change them. My primary interest when I see this is to protect myself and other passengers. I tell whomever is working that station in the Windjammer what I saw, and that they need to change out ALL the utensils in that section.

Then, I sanitize my hands before I eat. But, I do that anyway when I eat in any buffet.

I like this. Sensible, non-confrontational, and effective solution.

One of my pet peeves is the fact that restaurants go to some length to make sure the tables are wiped properly and dishes and silverware are clean. Not once have I ever seen a restaurant employee wipe off the salt & pepper shakers.

There's no fixing stupid. Not even with duct tape.

Cathy

One of my pet peeves is the fact that restaurants go to some length to make sure the tables are wiped properly and dishes and silverware are clean. Not once have I ever seen a restaurant employee wipe off the salt & pepper shakers.

There's no fixing stupid. Not even with duct tape.

Cathy

How about the ones that wipe the seats and then the table with the same cloth.

My other pet peeve is when I see people set buffet tong handles directly onto the food. Now all of the germs that were on everyone's hands are on the food.

D.

Ooooo, I hate that too!

Or, when people watch their child grab something off the buffet with their hands and then change their mind, and put it back, all the while touching half the tray!!!

Maybe it would help if the cruise lines put a flyer in each cabin, or posted a sign at the entrance of the Windjammer, asking people to refrain from such unhealthy practices when using the Windjammer facilities? And remind parents to keep an eye on their rug rats behavior, too.

Edited by Ocean Boy

How about the ones that wipe the seats and then the table with the same cloth.

Mostly when the tables are given a quick wipe down it is to get rid of obvious soilage. It does nothing to really clean them. What we have started doing, which I learned from someone who we shared a Windjammer table with many years ago, is to take the green napkins and use them as a place mat or small table cloth. Nothing we use for containing our food or utensils actually touch the table.