Immigration after Breakaway cruise

FinlandGuy

It works just like it would if you were arriving at a US airport. There are CBP agents in stations to check passports, etc. at the port.

Upon arrival you will pick up your luggage in the luggage hall or you carry it off the ship yourself. Next stop are the lines for CBP. Get your passport checked, turn in the customs form and you are done.

We were on the Jewel's NYC - Bahamas run last year. We had one person in our group who was not a U.S. citizen. There were announcements made the day before we came back that non US citizens had to report to the Spinnaker lounge at 7am to get processed through immigration. Of course this was after Sandy when there was no electricity in the terminal. Previous to this they went through regular customs like us.

Thank you for the answers. It seems that on some Fort Lauderdale based cruises the immigration agents board the ship in advance and all non-US citizens have to report early onboard and passengers aren't allowed to leave the ship before every foreigner is checked.

returning to New York after Breakaway trip to Bermuda we had finger print and eye scan at immigration

That is new, but probably inevitable - last year we disembarked in NYC normally just like in Miami this year. Unfortunately I think that if and when it's done everywhere, it's going to make the disembarkation queue even slower than it already is. :/

I am a green card holder and have only been on 2 cruises on the 1st I had to get up at some God awful early time and get processed through customs on the ship. On the 2nd we just went through like everyone else, so I guess it depends maybe it is the port ?

I tried to search but didn't find an answer, so hope someone could help. How does the immigration/passport control process take place for non-US citizens when coming back to NY from a Bahamas Breakaway cruise?

My answer is that it depends on the cruise and on the port. Re-positioning cruises- Europe to the States, Panama Canal and some others seem to have the most Immigration checks. I will be on The Getaway in January for Her Maiden Voyage from Southampton to New York City. I would not be surprise to see a full Immigration Check of both passengers and staff when we reach New York City.

Thanks for the replies. I'm used to the finger prints and face pictures at US (and some other country) airport point of entries. I don't think they had eye scan yet in JFK's AA terminal in November 2012 when I was there last time. Wonder what's next...

Hopefully the immigration line for non-US citizens wont take too long so that we would still have some time to enjoy NY before our flight back home at 5pm.

It is the only place where we have had to go through the full customs check including pictures, fingerprints etc

When we got off the breakaway in new york we had to do the same check you do in an airport - it must be the cruise port as they did it on the gem too at the same port but not at any other port

We are from the UK

As Canadian citizens, we have never had anything but out passports checked at immigration in both Miami and New York. Off the Gem last month in NY we were certainly made to feel like unwelcome. Waited in a separate line for almost 2 hours to clear customs as we watched the entire ship clear of US citizens. And we were only asked for passports and customs forms, so it wasn't because of new security procedures. First time this happened and it was a disappointing end to our cruise.