Save Flight times Rome Port to Airport

phnett

Looking to at flight times home,

Out of port out side of rome, what is a save range of time to look at flights home , to clear customs and taxi to Rome air port to catch a flight back to states? late after noon flight ok?

Looking to at flight times home,

Out of port out side of rome, what is a save range of time to look at flights home , to clear customs and taxi to Rome air port to catch a flight back to states? late after noon flight ok?

We had a 3:30 pm flight last year out of FCO. Were off the ship at 8 am, took the train (with a transfer at Trastevere), and were at FCO before noon. I would think you would be quite safe with a late afternoon flight.

We had a 3:30 pm flight last year out of FCO. Were off the ship at 8 am, took the train (with a transfer at Trastevere), and were at FCO before noon. I would think you would be quite safe with a late afternoon flight.

Perfect thank you, I am thinking taxi rather than train to airport ? thoughts?

Edited by phnett

It's a comfort vs. cost decision. Expect to pay well over 100 euros for any type of private car transfer (lots of discussion on the boards re: various companies), but you obviously have the comfort of door-to-door service. We took the shuttle bus to the port entrance, walked 15 minutes to the train station, then took the train to Trastevere, transferring to a train to FCO - for about 11 euros/person, or 22 total. It was not worth the extra cash for us to take a taxi/car service, but for many it is (and it's not necessarily just the cash for me - I've been stuck in traffic a few times getting to an airport, and much prefer a rail option if available).

Oh, don't do a taxi.

Book a private transfer.

There are many to choose from.

One that we use is Rome Cabs (not a taxi service but they provide private vehicles and a driver).

Their web site is:

http://www.romecabs.com

Keith

It's a comfort vs. cost decision. Expect to pay well over 100 euros for any type of private car transfer (lots of discussion on the boards re: various companies), but you obviously have the comfort of door-to-door service. We took the shuttle bus to the port entrance, walked 15 minutes to the train station, then took the train to Trastevere, transferring to a train to FCO - for about 11 euros/person, or 22 total. It was not worth the extra cash for us to take a taxi/car service, but for many it is (and it's not necessarily just the cash for me - I've been stuck in traffic a few times getting to an airport, and much prefer a rail option if available).

The OP is headed to the US, which adds a further complication unless he/she is flying Alitalia, as they will need to get to T5. This adds another wait for a shuttle bus out to that terminal after walking over from the airport train station.

We will add that private transfers can be very reasonable as long as you share with at least 2 other couples. When we want an early transfer we will arrange with Rome Cabs and post our plans on the Roll Call. Most of the time we quickly get more then enough folks to share (we generally limit to no more then 8 persons). We usually take an 11:50 am flight if going right home from FCO and have never had a problem. The key is the scheduled docking time...which is often very early (before 7 am). On our last cruise where we wanted to go right home (last November) we booked our Rome Cabs transfer for 7:15am. We were all off the ship and on our way around 7:30 and were at FCO just before 8:30. We had the driver drop 2 of our passengers at Terminal 3 and the rest of us went directly to the more remote Terminal 5 (for most US flights). One of our party had a 10:50am flight and easily made it....but personally we would be uncomfortable with a flight that early.

Hank

Hi, we used Rome Cabs this last October for early flight from FCO to the states.

We requested to disembark the ship early 7:30 for our 11:50 flight out of FCO. Our driver was waiting for us with a sign as we walked off the ship in Civitavecchia. We had another couple traveling with us so we shared the van and cost of 150.00 Euro to airport.

We were traveling on a Saturday morning and traffic was very light. We made it in like 45min but driver said during week and later in day it can be 1.5hrs (so keep this in mind)

Also the Terminal 5 check in is odd, they shuttle you to your plane, or at least they did for our flight.

Our flight had a connection in PHL where we had to clear customs, retreive our bags and go through security for our connecting flight. We had 2:08 min layover in PHL and only had 15 minutes to spare! Security was so slow and lines were long. I would not do this again without allowing 2:30min if your connection is in the U.S.

Our next cruise in June we are also flying out of FCO and we have an even earlier flight, but we do not connect in U.S. Our connection is FRK, so we will not have to go through customs until we land at LAX, and I don't think we will have to go through security again for the connection.

RCCL recommends we book no flights earlier than 1:30. Last year our ship docked earlier and I think the time recommendation would have been different. We flew Aer Lingus with a stop in Dublin so we didn't have to use the shuttle, which means we were able to get through the airport in less time. We have chosen to stay an additional night in Rome to make sure we can make the flight without the stress. Besides, it's not painful to have an additional day and night in Rome :D.

We used the transfer available through the cruise line (Celebrity, in our case), and will do so again. Very reliable, comfortable, with a bit of commentary along the way, and luggage carts provided for us upon arrival at the airport. Not the cheapest option, but peace of mind, knowing they would be there at the ship, and would get us to the right place at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked our air through Celebrity Choice Air, and they have us on a flight leaving @ 12:55- this was the only time we were given as a departure choice. We are on the Reflection next summer, and the ship docks at 5:00 a.m. I guess worst case scenario we spend another day in Italy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app