What are White Nights?

MKMC

...& I'm sure I don't know entirely apart from what I read so perhaps you can search other threads to find out more.

Apparently there are certain nights on certain cruises when one dresses all in white.

Why - I do not know, but it must be a lot of fun for those who do it.:)

White Nights occur during the cruise, usually on sea days when dinner is served outside on the upper deck. Usually it is a special barbeque served by the entire staff. It is very festive; the band plays and dancing is encouraged. Attire is anything white! It's fun!

Mickie

White Nights occur during the cruise, usually on sea days when dinner is served outside on the upper deck. Usually it is a special barbeque served by the entire staff. It is very festive; the band plays and dancing is encouraged. Attire is anything white! It's fun!

Mickie

Come in the Buff (as long as you are not Suntanned) :D

More laughers than Criers I'll bet

(TIC) before people get upset

Shintaro

White Night is huge fun and there is no obligation to wear white although many do.

I have experienced about 5 White Nights. All have been held when we were in ports with late departures. All were on deck except one when it was rather cool and so it was moved to the Cabaret Lounge.

I haven't done a transatlantic on Azamara but am sure there would also be a White Night on these cruises.

We had a fantastic White Night on the Journey in Muscat. Many people dressed in something white, but not everyone and it's not obligatory. The evening is around the pool. There was a great buffet meal including BBQd steak, pasta made to order, stacks of salads, and creeps. Senior staff such as the Hotel Director helped to serve the meals. The show was on the stage in front of the pool and there was dancing. There was the longest conga I have ever seen. - right around the pool and the jogging track. It was an absolutely brilliant night - best night of the cruise.

Totally agree that White Nights are fabulous! Great food and festivities and low key as well.

We've always had them while in port, and usually local entertainers are brought onboard before the dancing starts. On our last cruise, the originally scheduled white night was rained out, so AZ rescheduled it, but alas, no local entertainment other than one of the great bartenders onboard giving a "Cocktail" show!

Yet another small detail that sets Azamara apart.

Absolutely love the white nights. Our cruise actually did not one sea day but we did have the white night. I'd have to go back and look at what port we were in. The food and the atmosphere was wonderful...it's something you wouldn't want to miss. DH wore white shorts...I wore white capris with a colored top. White clothing is not mandatory...it does make it a bit more fun to see so many pax in white though:D.

It always amazes me how hard the crew work to set up the White Nights. Moving many tables outside onto the Pool Deck and deck above, setting up all of them beautifully with the little electric candles and then when it's over moving it back again. Not to mention the food arranged and cooked near the Pool Grill. Quite a feat of organisation.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

White Night is huge fun and there is no obligation to wear white although many do.

I have experienced about 5 White Nights. All have been held when we were in ports with late departures. All were on deck except one when it was rather cool and so it was moved to the Cabaret Lounge.

I haven't done a transatlantic on Azamara but am sure there would also be a White Night on these cruises.

I bought a beautiful white dress for the White Night party so I am ready to go for Christmas on the Quest! (Who could resist such a fun reason to go shopping? Not I. ;))

Edited by dln929

I bought a beautiful white dress for the White Night party so I am ready to go for Christmas on the Quest! (Who could resist such a fun reason to go shopping? Not I. ;))

Have a boogie by the pool with Russ Grieve and the singers and dancers. You'll have a great time. If Bruce Parker is on the bill as a singer he is not to be missed. Have fun!

Phil

Have a boogie by the pool with Russ Grieve and the singers and dancers. You'll have a great time. If Bruce Parker is on the bill as a singer he is not to be missed. Have fun!

Phil

Phil, I've seen the photos of White Night parties, complete with conga line :D, on Azamara's Pinterest page and Flickr. It looks like a heap of fun!

Do not worry if you come in another color. Because I was going on to a much colder climate after my recent Azamara Adriatic Coast cruise, I did not want to use up precious suitcase space with impractical (for me) white clothes. Still had a fabulous time! These are such special evenings.

My spouse does not enjoy buffets so on both our Azamara cruises we first dined at one of the specialty restaurants, and then arrived at the deck party. We were welcomed and had a great time. People really loosen up and the party lasts all evening.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a "White Night" on the TA on the Quest. We had it during the overnight in Bermuda. Too windy to have it any sooner or on a sea day. Had a rough crossing. Ran into Tropical Storm Melissa.

The White Night - you could wear white or not. Was fun but it is a tremendous amount of work for the staff.

Phyllis

With very rare exception, White Night parties are held on a late night in port, not on a sea day, and Bermuda was the only late night in port on Quest's trans-Atlantic this month.

Last December's Quest trans-Atlantic had only one late night in port, and that was the last night of the cruise in Rio. Because many passengers wanted to be off-ship in Rio, Captain Carl agreed to slow the ship on a sea day in mid-Atlantic so that the White Night could be held on a night other than the last night of the cruise in Rio. I doubt if you'll see that happen often.

• 1 month later...

I'm still pretty new to Azamara, and was in search of info on whether the 'White Night' we encountered on AZ Quest last June was a 'one off' or a regular feature on Azamara. So thanks for all these helpful comments.

Sad to say our 'white night' eventually got rained off in St Jean de Luz, but it was a lot of fun buying clothes for the party. I had a suitable shirt, but no such long pants, so went bargain hunting in Bilbao and found some decent white cotton pants at a reasonable price (for Spain!)

The following day, in St Jean de Luz, our cruise friends gave in and found a haven in 'Blanc Du Nil' to make their own purchases. So it seemed did half the ship, much to the total bemusement of the shop manageress, who suddenly found all her stock flying off the shelves, faster than she could take the money!

I think the onshore instore build up was as much fun as the party, which was later moved to the Looking Glass.

Having read through this thread, I'll be taking my whites with me again and will tell my partner to include some white clothing too, for Az Journey!

Thanks again for the info!

Peter.

I'm still pretty new to Azamara, and was in search of info on whether the 'White Night' we encountered on AZ Quest last June was a 'one off' or a regular feature on Azamara. So thanks for all these helpful comments.

Sad to say our 'white night' eventually got rained off in St Jean de Luz, but it was a lot of fun buying clothes for the party. I had a suitable shirt, but no such long pants, so went bargain hunting in Bilbao and found some decent white cotton pants at a reasonable price #for Spain!#

The following day, in St Jean de Luz, our cruise friends gave in and found a haven in 'Blanc Du Nil' to make their own purchases. So it seemed did half the ship, much to the total bemusement of the shop manageress, who suddenly found all her stock flying off the shelves, faster than she could take the money!

I think the onshore instore build up was as much fun as the party, which was later moved to the Looking Glass.

Having read through this thread, I'll be taking my whites with me again and will tell my partner to include some white clothing too, for Az Journey!

Thanks again for the info!

Peter.

I LOVE white nights....the escargot flows freely fresh from the oven and is to die for...I swear, I could eat just that but all the food is wonderful. and the party is fun.

I picked up a little white dress at a gift shop on our last Caribbean vacation..plan on taking it in the fall.....oh....if it still fits. ;) :D :p

White Night on Quest at Sorrento in September was a lovely deck party with 90% of guests wearing white clothes (country club casual). There was a spectacular Mediterranean buffet, the ships officers including Capt. Smith we're running a crepes Suzette station. We had a local opera tenor perform followed by live music and dancing under the stars. There was even a "flair bar tending" act...think Tom Cruise in "Cocktail."

Here is a pic of me, my partner, and his parents to give you an idea of attire. As you can see, not everybody on board wore white.

image.jpg.cf0ceee9d7399e28a230844c106abecc.jpg

My thanks to you both for the additional input and detail above.

Myself, I'm not the worlds greatest fan of Escargot, but Alan just loves them. It must be a textural or a past gardening thing, I guess??

Pleased to say, we both now have long white slacks/pants for the evening, we've white shirts a-plenty anyway, so will go the whole hog with white socks and slip on type beach shoes!

After the looking closer (once again) at our itinerary, we actually have 'overnights' in 3 separate locations, rather than any really late departures. So given the current political uncertainty in Bangkok, I'm rather doubting it will be held there.

The HCMC (Saigon) 'overnight' is already the venue for the Azamazing evening,

So I'm now guessing that the Halong Bay 'overnight' might play host to our the 'White evening' party!

BTW Coy, I think the 'flair' cocktail show that you saw, might have been given by Gede and his chum.

Another friend of mine, stays in social contact with Gede on facebook and from what I hear, he's currently enjoying a very well earned rest back in his native Bali.

So looking forward to this next AZ cruise, with every day that passes!

Peter & Alan.