Motion Sickness medicine

Jmeyers

Trying to plan ahead...

Any recs on motion sickness meds or bands for kids? What are your suggestions for adults? Thx

I was just talking to a woman this morning, who is pregnant and suffering with nausea from morning sickness. She was sucking on something called "Preggo Pops"...which are candy-like suckers and are apparently ginger with some other natural flavors added.

And I was thinking, that would probably be a great thing for seasickness, especially for kids. :)

Trying to plan ahead...

Any recs on motion sickness meds or bands for kids? What are your suggestions for adults? Thx

You'll get lots of recs ! You might want to try and get midships cabins.

Some people get genuinely motion sick, some get it because they somehow think they should ... :confused: (I've seen it many times)

As someone who's fought it since childhood (five miles was my limit in a car as an example) the best I can say is how wonderful it would have been if Bonine/ Dramamine II/ Dramamine "Less Drowsy" (all generic name Meclizine) had been available all those years ago, it works:D

(It says consult Doctor for under 12s)

Good luck.

I'd get a travel pill rec. for the age of your kids and take the day Before you set off and continue for a couple of days until they get used to the motion. Make sure they get plenty fresh air if the feel poorly and eat green apples and drink ginger ale. An old seafarer told me on our last cruise the old remedy was to put cotton wool in your ears if the seas are rough ( don't know if it works) but he'd been in the arctic convoys in ww11 and it worked for him .....I'm speaking from experience I've been the worst traveller all my life but I've never felt seasick on 10 cruises.

Bands even according to the manufacturer only have a 50% chance for success.

Many children do not get motion sickness. My experience is those who are prone to car sickness are more prone to sea sickness. I would check with the children's pediatrician about this.

You might also want to check with your physician for yourself. In our case we use Bonine should we be concerned about very rough seas.

Keith

My family and I all only use sea bands and they really work for us!!

I suffer from really bad motion sickness in cars and on boats. The sea bands completely take care of it for me. We've been on cruises and boat trips that were rocking and rolling and we were amazed how it didn't affect us at all! Magic :)

Sometimes the bands slide slightly out of place and then my husband or I feel it a little. In that case a glass of ginger ale really does the trick (and putting the bands back where they're supposed to be :) ).

Have a great cruise!

I believe the question was about kids and seasickness.

OP asked for both suggestions - kids and adults.

Our our 2nd second cruise, my wife felt queezy, but it passed on day 2. Ever since then, we both take Bonine. But, to ensure we are not feelign drowsy, we buy the non-drowsy type AND take the once-a-day pill as we go to bed.

Our last 3 cruises - not even a hint of queeziness.

I have used the patch, and it does curb the motion sickness, but it gave me wicked bad dry mouth. I prefer Bonine(generic, meclazine). Works just as well for me. no side effects and no prescription needed. You wil just have to see which works best for you. I have noticed on the many threads on this topic that meclazine seems to be very popular.:)

Bonine works well for me, and worth the drive over the border to get, as it is not available in Canada. Take for 1 day before leaving on trip, as it helps calm the "butterflies" while flying, and for 3 days after, to calm the "stillness illness". Otherwise I'd have to miss a week of work, just trying to get my land legs under me again.:)

Bonine works well for me, and worth the drive over the border to get, as it is not available in Canada. Take for 1 day before leaving on trip, as it helps calm the "butterflies" while flying, and for 3 days after, to calm the "stillness illness". Otherwise I'd have to miss a week of work, just trying to get my land legs under me again.:)

Isn't Gravol the same as Bonine? I use the Ginger Gravol if I feel really sick (which was only once on a Med cruise from Southampton). I wore sea bands every day on the Med cruise and a subsequent Caribbean cruise. I take them and Gravol with me but haven't used them in 8 cruises. I suck on ginger candies if I feel the need. They taste good (if you like ginger) and they seem to work.

Sometimes you have to start with the basics.

Keep hydrated, drink a glass of water an hour.

Start early the day of the cruise.

Avoid coffee and alcohol.

And for us we always use the prescription scop patch.

The one time my DH got sick was when he did not use the SCOP patch, Eastern Carribean, post hurricaine cruise.

Now he uses patch for at least first 2 days.

Sea Ya

My family and I all only use sea bands and they really work for us!!

I suffer from really bad motion sickness in cars and on boats. The sea bands completely take care of it for me. We've been on cruises and boat trips that were rocking and rolling and we were amazed how it didn't affect us at all! Magic :)

Sometimes the bands slide slightly out of place and then my husband or I feel it a little. In that case a glass of ginger ale really does the trick (and putting the bands back where they're supposed to be :) ).

Have a great cruise!

Wow! I wish it were that easy for me! It's the patch or I can't go :(

Teddie

I suffer from motion sickness and have found that one a day Bonine along with a capsule of ginger does the trick for me. The patch and other meds make me sleepy, and everyone is different. If you get motion sickness during the cruise, green apples and ginger.... and make sure you've got something in your stomach, which is easy to do on a cruise!